advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
some dumb a$$ iPad questions
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 13, 2014 10:37AM
My wife is thinking of an iPad for her travels.
It would more or less become her only inter web interface.
Mostly an email and interwebs user.
Books and NY Times.
no big files or editing or photoshop or any of that.

I assume that some built in app or apps can open and edit Word and Excel files.
I've already seen iAnnotate in action for pdfs.

Can an iPad hw to a drive or only network?
Can the screen be output to an ext screen?
She has a 24" Dell on the Xeon now.

I'd guess an ext kb as I think it will be hard for her to lose the tactile feel.
I see there are many BT with stands and covers.
Has anyone tried the TouchFire silicon kb that sits on the screen?

Anyone use Skype or T-Mobile WiFi Calling with it?

Thanks,

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2014 10:38AM by Fritz.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: some dumb a$$ iPad questions
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: December 13, 2014 11:11AM
The iPad versions of Excel and Word are free at the App store.

Paul

Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: December 13, 2014 11:13AM
I'm just getting started with mine, but I'm already using it in place of my laptop (well, it is a Toshiba, lol). Just don't let her get anything less than the mini 2 Retina. BT keyboard is much nicer for typing, but you get used to the screen keyboard. Works well for books, etc., also fits in the glovebox in the car.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 13, 2014 11:25AM
You can use external Bluetooth keyboards and external monitors but why, if this is for travel? No external hard disk usage. DropBox etc. Some apps will let you pass files to the iPad via iTunes syncing but that doesn't seem like something she'd want to do.
Date: December 13, 2014 11:30AM
deckeda
You can use external Bluetooth keyboards and external monitors but why, if this is for travel? No external hard disk usage. DropBox etc. Some apps will let you pass files to the iPad via iTunes syncing but that doesn't seem like something she'd want to do.

It would more or less become her only interweb interface. Because I know once she got use to instant on, the old Xeon won't do no more.
Yea, Dropbox should do the work that iTunes won't.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 13, 2014 11:46AM
I just think frequently dealing with the extra hardware will rapidly take the fun out of the iPad. Instant-on can also be any halfway-recent laptop, which I would strongly consider if the keyboard-monitor would be desired more than about a third of the time.

You sure she wouldn't easily acclimate to the iPad's software keyboard and screen for her needs?
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 13, 2014 11:50AM
It's a great travel tool.

I have a keyboard case for my iPad air. Makes it a portable laptop suitable for use in all-day meetings like a science conference. I have the lte model, making it an always-on inter web device as well.

However, if she's not going to create on it, I'd get the iPad mini 2 and keep it slim. My son carries his in his pocket.
Date: December 13, 2014 11:52AM
she may acclimate to the on screen kb, dunno. The iPad mini 2 is the plan right now.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: nwyaker
Date: December 13, 2014 12:09PM
I use a Zagg folio keyboard case ( Bluetooth ) with my mini 2 Retina, has backlighting too - excellent !
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 13, 2014 12:11PM
i have an iPad. love my bluetooth keyboard case cover. don't use the keyboard much at home when my iMac is handy but i can't imagine traveling without it when it's my line to the internet. don't miss traveling with a full laptop at all but that transition had already evolved with the iPhone.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: December 13, 2014 03:22PM
There are at least a couple of lightning-to-something that can connect an iPad/iPhone to a screen, but in my opinion, an AppleTV is the best solution; not as mobile as a adapter, but portable indeed.

This dock I have. I've never used the ipad with a keyboard, but if I did, I like the idea that I can put the screen ahead of the keyboard, slightly tilted but well supported, because clicking on the screen will be inevitable.

My last comment on using an iPad as a primary device is, the time learning to use the native solutions -iCloud, pages to word, etc- it's time very well spent.

• back to confinement

Date: December 13, 2014 03:23PM
rich in distress
There are at least a couple of lightning-to-something that can connect an iPad/iPhone to a screen, but in my opinion, an AppleTV is the best solution; not as mobile as a adapter, but portable indeed.

well I have one of them so ......

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Bimwad
Date: December 13, 2014 03:37PM
Fritz
It would more or less become her only interweb interface.

In that case, I'd skip the mini and get the iPad Air 2. It's not that much larger, and nicer to use. Plus it's got 2MB RAM, so it will be the most future proof of any model, and lessens, but not entirely eliminates Safari's love of tab reloading. The A8 is screaming fast, and will have the most iOS support going forward.

While Apple's support of older devices is generous, the performance compromises that newer OSes foist on older hardware ensure that I wouldn't buy anything less than the latest generation of hardware if possible.

On a separate level, the cell option is pricey, but one of those things that you're thankful for if you have it in a squeeze, and curse it if you don't. No contracts, a free 200MB/mo from T-Mo can still be had, and GPS. I'd recommend it for any iPad that will leave the house or office, and not remain tethered to one spot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2014 03:41PM by Bimwad.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 13, 2014 08:20PM
Fritz
I assume that some built in app or apps can open and edit Word and Excel files.

Pages and Numbers as well as Office for iPad.

Can an iPad hw to a drive or only network?

You can get something like this…

[www.airstash.com]

…but why bother when the network is so convenient?

Yes, via an HDMI adapter or AirPlay.

Anyone use Skype or T-Mobile WiFi Calling with it?,

Skype is okay but FaceTime is better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2014 08:25PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: December 14, 2014 03:42AM
Bimwad
In that case, I'd skip the mini and get the iPad Air 2. It's not that much larger, and nicer to use. Plus it's got 2MB RAM, so it will be the most future proof of any model, and lessens, but not entirely eliminates Safari's love of tab reloading. The A8 is screaming fast, and will have the most iOS support going forward.

2MB, eh? smiling smiley

Bimwad
While Apple's support of older devices is generous, the performance compromises that newer OSes foist on older hardware ensure that I wouldn't buy anything less than the latest generation of hardware if possible.

I agree with the sentiment, but an iPad mini retina was really inexpensive in recent weeks. Best bang for your buck in the whole lineup, although the iPad Air 2 is mighty compelling. Seems like the only negative is possibly reduced battery life in the newer model versus the older model.

Bimwad
On a separate level, the cell option is pricey, but one of those things that you're thankful for if you have it in a squeeze, and curse it if you don't. No contracts, a free 200MB/mo from T-Mo can still be had, and GPS. I'd recommend it for any iPad that will leave the house or office, and not remain tethered to one spot.

I have found success with the opposite, buying WiFi only tablets. If you don't have a smartphone, or a feature phone with Bluetooth PAN, I get why a data equipped iPad makes sense, but if you already have a phone with net connection, what's the gain?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2014 03:48AM by silvarios.
Date: December 14, 2014 04:01AM
Article Accelerator

Yes, via an HDMI adapter or AirPlay.

Can AA or any recent iPad AirPlay mirror users chime in for a second. When I had an iPad 3 and a second gen Apple TV, I tried mirroring and it seems like the 1024x768 effective resolution didn't scale to fill the entire display connected to the Apple TV (1080p HDTV). My Chromecast just got an update for mirroring support on a wider range of device (read as, device I actually own as opposed to the very narrow official compatibility list), and the screen on my 1280x800 Nexus 7 and 1280x720 Moto G seem to scale to fit either 1080p display just fine.

So, is there a config I can hit to make the screen fill the display on Apple TV or does the iPad only send 1024x768 to the Apple TV? iOS still can't scale displays like Mac OS? If so, what's the deal with iOS and scaling? Serious questions, not taking the piss. I really miss the flexibility of the Mac when I use iOS devices.

Article Accelerator

Anyone use Skype or T-Mobile WiFi Calling with it?,

Skype is okay but FaceTime is better.

As many merits FaceTime may have, I always suggest Skype because of the multi platform support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2014 04:03AM by silvarios.
Date: December 14, 2014 08:03AM
in theory, our T-Mo WiFi calling should work. Least of her needs.
I'd think she could get the network use after a try or 2. She can be impatient with technology.
The Dell ext has HDMI, so HDMI/lightning would be fine.
If she gets 3 years out of it, we'd be good.
Thanks all for weighing in.

!#$@@$#!

Date: December 14, 2014 08:07AM
Fritz

On the iPad?
Date: December 14, 2014 08:19AM
silvarios
Fritz

On the iPad?

doh!. not. Skype then.

She'll still have the T-Mo phone. That'll WiFi call.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: decocritter
Date: December 14, 2014 11:09AM
Air2 with logitech keyboard case folio style is like a netbook but better. I use it both ways and it is pretty fast as others have said. I traded an ipad 2 at best buy and with various promotions they are several hundred dollars cheaper than retail. I went with 64g and cellular for added bang,

I sort of wish I had a lighted keyboard, but I should be sleeping anyway
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 15, 2014 01:34AM
silvarios
Can AA or any recent iPad AirPlay mirror users chime in for a second. When I had an iPad 3 and a second gen Apple TV, I tried mirroring and it seems like the 1024x768 effective resolution didn't scale to fill the entire display connected to the Apple TV (1080p HDTV).

That is exactly the setup I'm using and I'm a bit confused by your comment. When I mirror my iMac's display (Late 2012, 27") to the TV via Apple TV, I get a full screen 1280 x 720p rendition of the iMac's screen. AirPlay is set to "Match Desktop Size To: iMac".

I'm fairly sure that if I was using a third generation Apple TV, I'd see a 1920 x 1080 rendition of my iMac's screen.

So, is there a config I can hit to make the screen fill the display on Apple TV or does the iPad only send 1024x768 to the Apple TV?

As far as I know, when using AirPlay, iOS devices do not mirror all device screen output. An app has to support AirPlay video mirroring. The ones that I have used on my third generation iPad retina behave exactly as detailed above regarding the iMac mirroring.

On the other hand, when using an HDMI adapter with the iPad, I get full time mirroring of the iPad's display with 1920 x 1080 output showing a 1024 x 768 rendering of the iPad's display.
Date: December 16, 2014 06:56PM
the iPad mini still has a power button somewhere, correct? It's not toggled by opening a cover only?
I'm thinking of getting a neoprene slip case for the time being and see if she is good with the soft kb.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 16, 2014 07:52PM
voodoopenguin
The iPad versions of Excel and Word are free at the App store.

Unless things have changed, the free versions of Word and Excel do not provide file editing functionality.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 152
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018