advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Oh the humanity! - dream cars destroyed for entertainment
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 21, 2014 07:45AM
I watched the original 1969 version of The Italian Job recently; the one staring Michael Caine.

In the very first scene they destroy a Lamborghini Miura.
[www.youtube.com]

Later, in a single scene, they destroy two Jaguar XKEs (both a coupe and a convertible), and an Aston Martin DB4 convertible (you can see the two XKEs behind the Aston Martin in the clip.)
[www.youtube.com]

Then to add insult to injury, they finish up by destroying three Mini Coopers.
[www.youtube.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oh the humanity! - dream cars destroyed for entertainment
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 21, 2014 08:20AM
And yet nobody mourns the Ford Pinto that got blown up in the film Top Secret. cry smiley

My wife wrecked a '69 Chevelle SS in high school by sailing it into a corn field in the winter. She recently mentioned missing that car, and a replacement in pre-wreck condition would run.. much moneys. Not to mention hassling with carburetors and distributors and whatnot.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 21, 2014 09:59AM
cbelt3
Not to mention hassling with carburetors and distributors and whatnot.

Anybody know the process for getting a deserving family nominated to be overhauled?

Even with a new crate engine set up with EFI and digital ignition, the rest of the car still only conforms to 1960's crash standards. sad smiley

Edit:
DeusxMac
In the very first scene they destroy a Lamborghini Miura.
Not to mention polluting the river. It's possible they found a crashed Miura and just rolled the carcass over the edge.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2014 10:06AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 21, 2014 03:07PM
I wouldn't sweat it too much. You're just succumbing to the belief that special effects are real.

The production team couldn't really justify the expense to buy a new Miura. Lamborghini helped out by selling the crew a full shell, which was promptly painted bright Orange and placed on an accident damaged Miura chassis that the production had also been lucky to get their hands on.

Special effects crew member, Ken Morris, remembered that they went to retrieve the Miura the next day, but it had disappeared. They looked everywhere for it, but they never found it. He concluded that someone must have seen them throw it down the mountain and launched a midnight expedition to retrieve it. I wonder if it is still around today? [www.theitalianjob.com]

Similar stories for the other cars. One of the jags is still being entered in car shows regularly.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2014 03:07PM by davester.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 21, 2014 09:33PM
The number of Dodge Chargers sacrificed at the alter of The Dukes of Hazzard, on the other hand, is truly tragic.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 21, 2014 10:54PM
Not just Chargers. They modified Dodge Coronets and Plymouth Sattelites as well. They went through over 500 B bodies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 178
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020