advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Butane Quality for torching sugar on Creme Brulee
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: January 04, 2015 01:42PM
Last night, I had some issues refilling a torch that happens to be at least 5 years old (for torching sugar on creme brulee desserts). Not sure if I had ever refilled it before, but I did happen to have 3 Zippo Butane Canisters here for that job. I purchased the torch at Bed, Bath & Beyond along with the Zippo refill canisters. Since the torch would barely light (barely visible flame, less than 1/4 inch), I tried to refill it.

Before refilling, I reviewed a couple of YouTube videos real quick on doing such a thing, plus to refamiliarize myself with all the features on the torch again. Everytime I tried to fill the torch, it would just spray as if it was already full. Hmmm, clog? It was also interesting that the chef on one of the videos mentioned not using the specific Zippo Butane Canisters I had because they could cause "clogging". So, the chef was very strong in stating to find "triple refined butane", she said if the butane is triple refined it will be clearly stated on the canister.

So, what is the deal with Triple Refined Butane? Is she making a case for something that doesn't matter. Or, will some Butane canisters have contaminants in it that can clog a torch? If there are contaminants, what does that mean for the food from a safety stand point (such as sugar on a creme brulee)?

I went to three or four places last night looking for triple refined butane, I get blank stares. It is out there, I see the stuff on Amazon.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Butane Quality for torching sugar on Creme Brulee
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 04, 2015 02:03PM
if this is OFF TOPIC, what is left for ON TOPIC these days?
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: January 04, 2015 02:50PM
Amazon, Home Depot and Walmart all carry it and the Amz link [www.amazon.com] says:

- Triple refined gas - wont clog
- Each cansister contains 150 grams of butane
- These are for filling lighters and butane torches

It could be that there is a modification to the fill valve on devices that use the triple flavor.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: M>B>
Date: January 04, 2015 05:39PM

Always prefer these kind of torches, less than 30 bucks @ Amazon.
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 04, 2015 06:11PM
I would like some Creme Brulee, please. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 04, 2015 06:40PM
M>B>

Always prefer these kind of torches, less than 30 bucks @ Amazon.

agree smiley really.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 04, 2015 08:59PM
"Triple refined" is marketing speak, but it should be a little more reliable if they have any sort of a smell guarantee.

I can't comment on the problems filling your torch without brand, model, and maybe some pics. I used to have a refillable butane lighter for a fireplace. I don't remember ever having a problem with the fill valve clogging, but it never had the risk of getting food on it in the kitchen.

The 16.4 oz propane (not butane) canisters M>B> shows are $3-$5 on sale and last a lot longer, but the $20-$50 torch tips do not generally have the fine adjustments like the brulee/cooking torches.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020