advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Display for use with a late Macbook Pro Retina (Early 2013) model?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 15, 2015 02:09PM
Display for use with a late Macbook Pro Retina (Early 2013) model?

Hi everyone,

When I replaced my ’08 Mac Pro with a Macbook Pro 15” Retina (2013) model, I moved the old tower to my office along with my nice Dell Ultrasharp 24” display. Initially, I thought sticking with just Macbook Pro with my Matias Keyboard and Logitech mouse would be workable. Unfortunately, I’m finding it’s cumbersome to use the keyboard in a keyboard drawer and the MBP close to the front of my desk.

I tried putting the MBP onto a laptop stand and pushed it back and put my keyboard on the desktop but it didn't work out well. Turns out, typing is great but i don’t like having the “monitor” so far back on my desk, especially when it’s so high res. So, I’m thinking maybe it’s time to get another display and go with a dual monitor setup. Keep the MBP on a stand on one side of my desk and the big honking display in front of me with the keyboard and mouse in their normal locations.

While I would adore an Apple Thunderbolt display, it’s _way_ too expensive for my wallet, lacks some of its competitors features - even the refurb version - and I can’t justify the cost.

I’m a fan of Dell Ultrasharp models and have considered the following:

[accessories.us.dell.com]

Although I like the idea of a 27” display, I’m inclined to save the bucks and go for the 25” model. It’s still bigger than the display I moved to my office, has a better stand, has a built-in USB 3.0 hub and a USB port that can be used for charging devices.

The built-in USB 3.0 ports will let me move the MPow USB 3.0 hub I’ve got to a different location. Love the MPow hub and highly recommend it but having the ports built into the display will be mighty convenient.

I looked at the Monoprice displays but am leery of them. That and I’m not sure if my MBP can drive a 27” display, though I am 99.9% positive it would be a non-issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Robert

--

edited to reflect the machine is an early 2013 model

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2015 04:25PM by Robert M.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Display for use with a late Macbook Pro Retina (late 2013) model?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 15, 2015 03:00PM
Your MBP can drive two extra monitors -- both at 2560 X 1600 (30") -- so you could technically have 3 screens...

Many people have postve comments on the monoprice ones, search here.

I think either of those Dells are fine, but the 27" is a better class of monitor. Also has USB 3 hub built in. Although on the 2 on the left bezel are really useful, the other 2 are hard to reach. Great for things that don't get unplugged often. I have my mouse and my iPhone cable in those.

Have you thought about 4K?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2015 03:03PM by jdc.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 15, 2015 03:03PM
You don't want a 4K monitor? (i.e., 3840 x 2160, etc.)? That would be similar to the resolution on your MBP monitor.....
Posted by: MEG
Date: January 15, 2015 03:11PM
I believe someone on here mentioned this monitor as an alternative to the Apple display:
[www.amazon.com]

27"
2560x1440
Display port, but no hub, but the price is 399.

I think they said it was the same panel but I can't find the post...hopefully, if it was here they'll chime in.
Posted by: August West
Date: January 15, 2015 03:23PM
Funny you should mention this, but I've been randomly thinking about the same thing. I saw the 27 inch dell for 499 - 20 on our sponsors deal page. Might pick it up.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Date: January 15, 2015 03:47PM
August West
Funny you should mention this, but I've been randomly thinking about the same thing. I saw the 27 inch dell for 499 - 20 on our sponsors deal page. Might pick it up.

Yeha, thats $100 less than Roberts link. Nice.

Id take one to go with my 27" iMac and ditch my Dell 2409 and its measly 1920 X 1200 resolution. big grin smiley

----

Date: January 15, 2015 04:04PM
Hi everyone,

My mistake. It's a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013).

[www.everymac.com]

I had considered a 4K display - saw a deal on one recently - but wasn't sure if my MBP could drive one based on what I saw on everymac.com. I thought I was limited to an external that was 2560 x 1600, which is why I chose the above models. Each has a res of 2560 x 1440. But, if my MBP can drive a 4K display, then it would seem like a no-brainer to look at one of these:

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2015 04:50PM by Robert M.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 15, 2015 04:16PM
Is there a 4K monitor that anyone around here recommends? Can the 15"MBPr support that resolution? Anyone actually used one with a Mac?

I'd be interested too. I'd like to get a 24-27" external, but if I'm afraid of getting something that will pale next to the retina screen.
Re: Display for use with a late Macbook Pro Retina (Early 2013) model?
Date: January 15, 2015 04:46PM
I saw the lower end 4k from Dell, and the low refresh rate and TN panel gave me a bit of concern. I have no expertise in the matter, though.

ETA: Looks like those have been corrected in the 24 in model.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2015 04:48PM by August West.
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: January 15, 2015 04:57PM
How about 2560x1080 at 25 inches?

LG 25UM64-S Black 25" 5ms (GTG) Dual HDMI UltraWide screen 21:9 LED Backlight LCD Monitor IPS Panel 250 cd/m2 1000:1 Built-in Speakers
[www.newegg.com]

Jeff
Date: January 15, 2015 05:00PM
Apple Support of 4K

Date: January 15, 2015 05:20PM
August,

Thank you for the link. I knew I hadn't misread the info on everymac. Apparently, you can't use a 4K display with an early '13 Macbook Pro. So, it's back to my original models. And, it seems, that deal for the U2713HM from newegg.com is solid. Now I just have to convince the wife to let me have the display instead of a new receiver which I _still_ haven't gotten around to purchasing - lol!

Thanks everyone,

Robert
Date: January 15, 2015 06:15PM
The deal is still good here: [www.newegg.com]

Out of your budget, but this is gonna be my next monitor... 3440 x 1440 14ms, 5ms GTG

[www.newegg.com]

----

Posted by: sekker
Date: January 15, 2015 10:50PM
Love my monoprice 2560x1440 27" display. Text looks great, colours are rich.
Date: January 15, 2015 10:58PM
Hi everyone,

Just ordered the Dell U2713HM from Dell. Got the $20.00 off via the coupon. Also getting 1% cash back from American Express. And, after a bit of searching, turns out American Express is also offering a one-time special $25.00 cash back bonus for orders from newegg.com. The minimum to get the bonus was either $100.00 or $200.00. I had to go to the American Express web site to activate the special prior to jumping to newegg.com to place the actual order.

So, it was $479.99 with free shipping and no tax. I get $4.80 cash back from American Express based on the normal 1% cash back bonus. I'm getting an additional $25.00 back because of the special offer from American Express. End result, I'm getting a nice big honking display for $450.00. I'm going to use the money I saved towards the cables I need to connect it to the MPB. smiling smiley

Robert
Date: January 15, 2015 11:35PM
Cable is $4.88 -- so you have to kick in an extra .08¢ + shipping -- Im thinking you can swing it...

[www.monoprice.com]

----

Posted by: sekker
Date: January 16, 2015 06:10AM
jdc
Cable is $4.88 -- so you have to kick in an extra .08¢ + shipping -- Im thinking you can swing it...

[www.monoprice.com]

If that monitor supports a modern HDMI, the cable could be cheaper than that...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 238
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020