advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Small Dog
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 19, 2015 11:39AM
Driving upstate NY, close to Vermont and I hear ads on radio for Small Dog Electronics, I forgot about them.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Small Dog
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: January 19, 2015 11:41AM
They're on RT 100 outside of Waitfield smiling smiley

We drive past them every time we go to Stowe or Bolton to ski in VT.

Unfortunately, it's never during the week when they are open sad smiley
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: January 19, 2015 11:51AM
Well - that's a name from the past.
I have faded memories of buying quite a few things from them (I think in the '90s), but can't remember at all what those things were. Probably peripherals of some sort for either the Mac IIsi or 8100AV that were my mainstays from 1991-1998ish
Posted by: billb
Date: January 19, 2015 11:57AM
I used to get quite a bit from Cyberian Outpost and Small Dog back in the day. Usually small dog specials
Probably could find one or two of the little small dog plastic/ceramic figurines they used to toss in the box like red rose tea does their ceramic miniature figurine collectibles.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2015 11:59AM by billb.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: January 19, 2015 11:59AM
Love Smalldog. Shopped with them into the 2000s. Like mid 2000s. 2005 or so.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 19, 2015 12:01PM
Still have a couple of their shop T-Shirts with their Pomeranian mascot's picture on them....
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 19, 2015 12:06PM
Still on their mailing list, but have not bought from them in quite a while. Apple reserving almost all of its refurbs for sale on the Apple Store site removed one of the big attractions for me to buy from them.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 19, 2015 12:45PM
They were a big seller of clones in the fire sale after Jobs canceled all the licenses. I bought a UMAX from them, my dad bought another for his office. That thing lasted at least a decade before he replaced it with an iMac.
Posted by: johnc36
Date: January 19, 2015 12:56PM
They bought out the Mac operation in Key West FL about a year ago..
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 19, 2015 01:10PM
I still get the weekly newsletters, but admit I haven't bought anything from them in quite some time.

I'm pretty sure I have at least 3 dozen of the little dogs they threw into the orders, packed away somewhere around here. I was going to use them for a shot with mini leader if he ever made it to my house (he didn't).

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: January 19, 2015 01:38PM
They had great garage sales.
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 19, 2015 01:43PM
Last summer I found a great deal at Smalldog on an "as is" early Mac Pro for a well known ski cinematographer. His melted down in the middle of a big project, and he was really stressing. The salesperson recognized his name. and upgraded him to expedited shipping, and the MP had a few key silent upgrades. Very positive experience!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2015 06:59PM by btfc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 19, 2015 02:43PM
I bought some small stuff from them and a La Cie electron blue 21" monitor.

It was a beast, poorly packaged, but it worked splendidly.

I don't think I ever bought from them again.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 19, 2015 03:12PM
My sage iMac came from Small Dog. I too have not been much help keeping them in business.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: January 19, 2015 03:34PM
They have a large shop outside Burlington now. So that is where to stop. Most likely they make their money selling Mac Book Pros to locals. No apple store anywhere near Vt.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: January 19, 2015 04:40PM
Garage Sales are still good and helpful, but vary in quality. Different than OWC ones. Thanks to the forumites that give list notice of 'em. Thanks, Cbelt!
Posted by: chopper
Date: January 19, 2015 05:21PM
I used to know Don Mayer back when he was thinking about getting into the motorcycle business. I've got to say he is a true gentleman and a really good guy to know.

I have not heard from him in years but remember him and his wife fondly.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 19, 2015 06:20PM
I actually wrote them a note in 2007 saying how sad it was that I hadn't ordered from them in so long because they no longer had stock of apple refurbs. Got a nice reply from Hapy. I cashed in my doggy treats in 2010 and that was my last order.

I once bought a SD tee shirt becuase I liked them so much (and it was cheep). Used to wear it on my backpacking trips a lot. One of my backpacking buddies was on a vacation in the NE and just went out for a drive to see fall foliage and happened to drive by Small Dog in VT somewhere. They actually pulled in and told them about me and had an enjoyable visit. I have a picture of him in front of that store somewhere that he sent me.

Love ya small dog!
Posted by: IronMac
Date: January 19, 2015 06:57PM
Oddly enough, a few days ago I was just looking them up. Used to be on their email list years ago.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 19, 2015 10:53PM
I've made several purchases from Small Dog over the years and had always been happy. It's now been quite a few years since my last dealings with SD.
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 19, 2015 11:22PM
Reading through these comments reminds me that they used to have video cameras around the facility. You could control the direction the cameras were pointed. When I was placing an order one time I watched the young lady who was helping me while we talked on the phone.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: January 19, 2015 11:24PM
Everyone on here seems to say that it's been years since buying from SD. Have we all gone over to the Apple Stores?
Posted by: hal
Date: January 19, 2015 11:47PM
IronMac
Everyone on here seems to say that it's been years since buying from SD. Have we all gone over to the Apple Stores?

I have no interest in buying a new apple when I can get a refurb for so much less. THAT'S why I bought from SD.

I never understood why apple let others take their profit by distributing refurbs. It made no sense. Soon after the apple online store was set up, refurbs stayed at apple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2015 11:49PM by hal.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 19, 2015 11:48PM
IronMac

NewEgg and Amazon.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 19, 2015 11:48PM
I purchased 2 BTO Macs from them. Buying through them eliminated sales tax and shipping. That savings paid for AppleCare. Got our 1st iPod through them too.

Oh, and one day I found one of my Small Dogs inside one of the cat poops in the litter box. Wish I took a photo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 12:44AM by Racer X.
Posted by: Joey Cupcakes
Date: January 20, 2015 03:15AM
Bought a new 9600 and later my G4 from them, new, back then. Great company.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 20, 2015 05:53AM
seems like no one bought from them lately. Amazing they are still alive. I wish them the best!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 20, 2015 09:32AM
They have expanded to two more stores in VT and now one in Key West. There was also a store in NH, but that was closed recently. Don Mayer and his wife are semi-retired now and down in Key West, hence the store there.

Except for the NH store, it sounds like the retail side is now a major portion of the business compared to online. So they are doing well enough. But except for specials, their prices and brands carried just have not been what I have been looking for a lot of the time recently. Since those who post here are looking for bargains, I expect that explains most of the reasons no one has reported recent purchases from them.
Posted by: decay
Date: January 20, 2015 09:41AM
someday i'd like to have a sage iMac. always loved that color.

---
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 20, 2015 02:20PM
someday i'd like to have a sage iMac. always loved that color.

Agreed, on both counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: January 20, 2015 02:32PM
Sage is one of the rarest colors if I remember correctly. Only released with the DV+ in summer 2000. Ruby isn't super common either, but shipped as both DV and DV+ trim levels. Flower Power and Blue Dalmation seem rather uncommon as well (2001 only colors).
Date: January 20, 2015 03:07PM
IronMac

No. While I've purchased refurb iOS and iPod devices from Apple in recent history (recent being relative, say, the last five years or so), I tend to get my Macs used or from MicroCenter. I did get a killer iPad 3 deal from Target a few years back. BestBuy also seems to have a healthy supply of Mac deals in recent years.
Posted by: JPK
Date: January 20, 2015 05:19PM
Thinking back, I bought a lot of stuff from them. Now I don't?

JPK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018