The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Latest hard drive reliability data reveals it may be best to avoid 3TB drives
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 22, 2015 11:49AM
[www.techspot.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Latest hard drive reliability data reveals it may be best to avoid 3TB drives
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 22, 2015 12:03PM
Ugh, I picked up a Seagate 3TB for backups last year. Fortunately I am lazy about backups and only use it on a monthly at-most basis so it should be fine for a long time, but this might explain why the price was favorable.
Re: Latest hard drive reliability data reveals it may be best to avoid 3TB drives
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 22, 2015 12:10PM
The conclusion I derive from that graphic is that it is best to avoid Seagate drives altogether, with perhaps the exception of their 4GB drives.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 12:10PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 22, 2015 12:24PM
N-OS X-tasy!
The conclusion I derive from that graphic is that it is best to avoid Seagate drives altogether, with perhaps the exception of their 4GB drives.

I remember my first Seagate 4 GB drive. Think it was 1998. smiley-excited001

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 22, 2015 12:27PM
jdc
I remember my first Seagate 4 GB drive. Think it was 1998. smiley-excited001

That sounds about right. The HD included with the G3 desktop I purchased new in 1998 was 4 GB - I couldn't believe how big it was!

It is what it is.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 22, 2015 12:33PM
Don't I know it! I had three 3TB Seagate drives (all bought at the same time) fail late last year, all within a week. It's like there was a counter inside waiting to trip a fail within a certain time frame.

The Western Digital 3TB bought at the same time is still humming along happily. Go figure.

Yes, I had backups, (failed drives were my extensive movie/tv/music library), and it was still a pain in the ass to restore the library.

Right about now my feelings are F.U. Seagate!! You cause needless busy work and grief due to your poor quality/planned obsolescence.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: January 22, 2015 01:59PM
I agree - and from significant quantitive data of our own, we avoid most Seagate 3.5" Drives.

The chart isn't fair and it includes drives from a time span before 4TB was prevalent and those Seagate 4TB from the time line most likely are the 5900RPM model which a little Apple's to Oranges since all the HGST are likely 7200RPM as would all the WD be.

We primarily build with Toshiba for 3.5" up to 5TB and HGST now for 6TB and up - Toshiba is who carried on the HGST desktop torch following the WD/HGST merger last year - as part of antitrust agreement Toshiba was basically handed their desktop technology and the factories. We have used HGST drives as our preferred drive for over a decade now and while all lines have their exceptions, overall the HGST average well above the reliability of the rest and always have. We are very selective on 3.5" use other than Toshiba/HGST with respect to our own field data that goes well beyond the numbers BackBlaze has exposure to. Their data is good though.

That said - backup, backup, backup. Drives do die, and often not for anything wrong with the drive with respect to them being mechanical and subject to environmental factors - not if, but when... and drives are so cheap vs. the value of the data they hold - zero reason not to have a good backup solution which really should be more than a single backup at that as not only a drive failure that can cause loss of data accessibility.

N-OS X-tasy!

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: January 22, 2015 05:36PM
Thank you OWC Larry! I bought Seagate and they have been fine so far. I have everything backed up on other drives so if they die I won't be missing anything.
HGST is my main drive to buy.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 22, 2015 05:41PM

This has been my practice for the last several years.

So far, the only HDs that have failed me are Seagates of varying sizes.

HSGT and Toshiba are my first picks for platter drives.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 22, 2015 06:18PM
This sucks, I had a Western digital 3TB conk out on me so I started using Seagate. Now Seagate sucks. Uuuuuuuugh. I can't win.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 22, 2015 06:19PM
I have been sticking with HGST for the most part. I have three of the Seagate 3TB drives, though, but only because two of them cost nothing. The third I bought on sale, because it was pretty cheap and it had a FW/USB base that could be interchanged with the other two. One of the freebies came with the Thunderbolt base, the other with USB 3. Two of them have had light use for the past two years or ao, the other is in daily use attached to my Mac Pro. The only problem so far has been with one of the bases, which flaked out and had to be replaced.

I'm not depending on any of them exclusively. And that article has inspired me to get a new HGST 4TB drive out of its box and into an enclosure, followed by plenty of backing up.

It's sad to think about how good their drives once were. I had a couple of their 4GB SCSI drives in my 7500/7600 era Macs, as well as several 18GB LVD drives in my 9600, where they still are, and still worked last time I fired it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 06:24PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 22, 2015 06:39PM
Build quality has always ebbed and flowed over the years, and oddly, it follows the warranty period in my experience. We are at a low point now where price point dictates everything, and external drives actually now have longer warranties than internals. But you crack the case open to use the mechanism internally, you lose the warranty. Kinda crappy.
Posted by: rz
Date: January 22, 2015 08:26PM
I bought four 3TB Hitachi drives right around the time of the floods that caused the prices to skyrocket. This was before WD bought them. Office Max was clearancing them for some reason, and I paid $84 each for them. I could have easily sold them for more than twice what I paid for them. But I kept them. Two are in my Mac Pro, and the other two are used for backing up the original two. They're all still running fine.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 22, 2015 10:08PM
We've had pretty poor luck with Seagate external drives - pretty much all of the ones we purchased over the last 7 years have failed; many under warranty, but still failed.

I was trying to add them all up, but the failure rate is well over a dozen.

We have a few 300 and 500GB drives that are still working; pretty sure all of the 1TB and 1.5TB have failed.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 23, 2015 07:58AM
I think my failure count stands at Seagate 3, Hitachi 3, and WD 2. This is about as scientific as you can get.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 23, 2015 10:42AM
MAXXTOR 4 LYFE!!
Posted by: decay
Date: January 23, 2015 10:53AM
We have had several HGST 2TB and one 4TB drive fail.

Their warranty replacement is SLOW... no advance swap, you ship the bad drive to them, wait, they ship a replacement. Takes weeks.

---
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 24, 2015 08:06AM
Bring back Micropolis!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Acer , Bo , DJM , rjmacs
Guests: 260
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015