advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is it too early to talk GRILLING?
Posted by: 3d
Date: February 01, 2015 07:02AM
While searching for a perforated grill tray so my shrimps and veggies don't fall through during grilling I stumbled on this aluminum grill grate on the web. Blocks flareups, evens out temperature, and conducts heat 3X better than cast iron. They also sell these in custom sizes so you can replace your existing grates with these instead of laying it on the existing grate.

Does anyone use this item? Thoughts?

[www.grillgrate.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is it too early to talk GRILLING?
Posted by: Spiff
Date: February 01, 2015 07:18AM
It's going to be pretty difficult to get the veggies off the grill,plate when they are ready as they will get into the grooves of the plate. No fun trying to fish them out.

I use a perforated grilling tray or a bowl. Something like this...
[www.target.com]

I find this works extremely well to grill veggies and only a minor few slip through the holes. It's also easy to transport inside or wherever after you are done (just wear oven mitts).
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: February 01, 2015 07:23AM
Never too early to talk grilling. After a snow storm I clear the driveway, our rural mailbox spot, then I clear the backyard spot where my grill sits. Sure it takes longer to heat up when it's 2 degrees out, but I still use as much as possible.
I like your grill grate. I'll see ir I can find a similar one.
I am using a round grate with a handle that was intended for pizza, I plop it on the grill, and cook what ever on it, mostly wings, I admit.
What I like about this, is with the handle, I just carry the whole round grate right back into the house, so I'm out of the cold sooner, and I don't need to bring as many supplies outside, when done, just walk it all in the house.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: February 01, 2015 07:25AM
I have a few variations of the topper that Spiff posted, and they work pretty well. I would like to grab one of these someday-
[www.amazon.com]
Date: February 01, 2015 07:32AM
Spiff
It's going to be pretty difficult to get the veggies off the grill,plate when they are ready as they will get into the grooves of the plate. No fun trying to fish them out.

The grate comes with a slotted spatula as well when buying the "kit".

Your Target link isn't working can you cut and paste the name of the item?

Is it something like this at Home Depot?

[www.homedepot.com]

Posted by: Spiff
Date: February 01, 2015 07:35AM
3d - yup, something like that from Home Depot, except its a bowl. I like the slotted spatula! Just figure out a backstop so you don't push the veggies off the back and yer good to go!
Posted by: wowzer
Date: February 01, 2015 07:46AM
It is never too early to talk grilling. I was just talking about the IR griller the other day:

[forums.macresource.com]

I think your grate grate probably converts the fire into IR, yes?

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Date: February 01, 2015 07:54AM
Spiff
3d - yup, something like that from Home Depot, except its a bowl. I like the slotted spatula! Just figure out a backstop so you don't push the veggies off the back and yer good to go!

Ahhh.. i can see a basket/bowl-ish type grill container might be better for veggies. Good call. I still might get the aluminum grill grate in the first post since it just looks too cool. Errr... i mean, HOT!
Date: February 01, 2015 07:56AM
wowzer
It is never too early to talk grilling. I was just talking about the IR griller the other day:

[forums.macresource.com]

I think your grate grate probably converts the fire into IR, yes?

I think so, there are a bunch of charts, graphs and data on the site. It kinda makes sense to me.

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: February 01, 2015 10:13AM
There's the never ending debate of aluminum poisoning (first Google hit), if you choose to care.
I also use one of the round thingies for veggies. Works great.
On the other hand, I often cut the vegetables in such a manner that they can stay better on the grill without any prop. Round potatoe slices vs the french cut, or halved zucchinis instead of cubes.

• back to confinement

Posted by: Jack D.
Date: February 01, 2015 10:22AM
I have two of these [www.amazon.com] I use for veggies and small stuff. The handle folds for storage and as DinerDave says it's a one pan carry in/out. It's also shallow enough that I can close the grill cover with the handle sticking out for a slow roast.

As for the grill grates, I like the open flames for cooking. I tend to stay at the grill for things like hot and fast searing of steaks and for the things that you want low/no flame on just shut off a burner and go indirect.

You should also check out the BBQ Pit Boys website or on YouTube. This week's recipe is Chicken Cordon Bleu with Bacon and Scallion Crème Gravy These guys keep me going through the winter months and give me ideas for my own menus.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Date: February 01, 2015 10:33AM
I have one of these in my Amazon cart. $9.99
Looks like an easy to clean, no-nonsense, stainless steel veggie grill bowl.

Posted by: jdc
Date: February 01, 2015 10:35AM
We had 0" of rain for the entire month of January and it was 74.yesterday. Winter is over. Start grilling. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 01, 2015 10:37AM
I have the grill grates on my weber. I've only used them about ten times but I like them. They only cover half the grill so I can use the other half of the grill conventionally if neededl. I also have a weber basket for doing veggies (for those veggies that are break into small pieces...the big pieces just go on the grill grates).

Note on aluminum poisoning. There is no "never ending debate" except on conspiracy theory websites. The amount of aluminum you might ingest from using grill grates is absurdly low, and the Alzheimer link was debunked decades ago. Note that aluminum is one of the most plentiful elements in rock and soil. Horrors! all of you veggies are grown in it!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2015 10:44AM by davester.
Date: February 01, 2015 10:55AM
davester
I have the grill grates on my weber. I've only used them about ten times but I like them.

Cool. Davester, Do you have to use that custom slotted spatula? Or can a regular grill spatula/flipper work just as well? Is it slotted so the surface of the grill is not damaged from scraping? Or just concenience?
Posted by: billb
Date: February 01, 2015 10:58AM
The Alzheimer "link" was never "debunked. For 40 year every study that found a contribution another study found none.
In the meantime so many other causes and influences have been deemed more largely probable an influence and get all the research funding dollars.
That's not "debunked" it's pushed to the wayside as unpopular.

If you're really worried about Alzheimers stay well read, keep your brain and body well exercised and stay far far away from Dave's mendacious mythos.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2015 11:04AM by billb.
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 01, 2015 11:35AM
Perforated bowl, pan, cookie sheet is the way to go. Easier clean up.

I just grilled up some prepared carne asada last night from my local meat market. 6lbs at $4.99/lb for 6 adults and a toddler. With enough left over for some carne asada bowls today.

As for grilling veggies, I stopped doing that on the open grill. (too dry for my taste). I use a peforated pan(rarely used) or I make an aluminum bowl (with foil) and toss in some veggies with a little butter, olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 01, 2015 12:40PM
Does anyone actually stop grilling?

I was getting frustrated one cold, windy evening because I couldn't keep the burners lit unless they were on full blast. Not a good condition for grilling sausage.

Also, I put a nice coating of antiperspirant on my food before grilling.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 01, 2015 12:55PM
I'll be out there in a few hours, in the rain. (I have a "Grillzebo") Gonna try Pillsbury's Spicy Italian Crescent Ring: [www.pillsbury.com]

It's an indoor oven recipe but my charcoal oven outside can't be beat for taste.
Date: February 01, 2015 12:58PM
billb
The Alzheimer "link" was never "debunked. For 40 year every study that found a contribution another study found none.
In the meantime so many other causes and influences have been deemed more largely probable an influence and get all the research funding dollars.
That's not "debunked" it's pushed to the wayside as unpopular.

If you're really worried about Alzheimers stay well read, keep your brain and body well exercised and stay far far away from Dave's mendacious mythos.

You seem to love spreading misinformation for no other reason that to diss people you don't like. What a ridiculous practice. Very early on the high aluminum levels reported in Alzheimer patient brain tissue was found to be due to problems with sample preparation. Later work confirmed that when sample prep methods were changed the aluminum anomaly disappeared. There has been ZERO statistical correlation between aluminum and alzheimers in properly controlled studies. The only "controversy" is with a few hanger-ons who can't let it go, just as there are a few hanger-ons who still publicize that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer, that global warming doesn't occur, and that vaccines cause autism. Here, since your modus operandi is to contradict everything I ever post, listen to what the Alzheimers Association has to say instead: [www.alz.org]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: February 01, 2015 02:44PM
Both of you are agreeing there's no aluminum-ALZ link. Bill was only saying any link wasn't debunked because it wasn't a link to begin with.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: February 01, 2015 02:54PM
Lux Interior

Just temporary "wait till tomorrows" when the weather is severe.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 01, 2015 03:02PM
Lux Interior

I was getting frustrated one cold, windy evening because I couldn't keep the burners lit unless they were on full blast. Not a good condition for grilling sausage.

When cold and windy, grill in your garage. And I thought I was the only one who sprayed antiperspirant on my meat before grilling!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 01, 2015 03:06PM
Dave, man... don't rage.
Even the scientists do not know for sure. After the benefits science brings (not much at this time), it's a lifestyle, much like grilling or macintoshing. One can choose to care or not.

ps: I fondly remember the first time I went to Bread and Circus: "Paper or plastic?" - buncha nuts.

• back to confinement

Date: February 01, 2015 03:06PM
Lux Interior

LOL!!

• back to confinement

Date: February 01, 2015 07:27PM
rich in distress
Dave, man... don't rage.
Even the scientists do not know for sure. After the benefits science brings (not much at this time), it's a lifestyle, much like grilling or macintoshing. One can choose to care or not.

I'm not raging*, and science is not a lifestyle. It's a method of ferreting out the truth. You are partly correct in that there are many things that scientists do not know for sure. However on this particular item they know for sure that the original evidence on which the aluminum/alzheimer link was established is completely bogus and that there isn't so much as a correlation, let alone a causative link between the two.

*not quite true...I was raging at billb, but only in response to his tiresome MO of posting contradiction to pretty much everything I post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2015 07:29PM by davester.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: February 01, 2015 11:07PM
I need those for my veggies:

Grateful11
Date: February 02, 2015 06:14AM
Grateful11
I need those for my veggies:

On the other hand, those veggies look grate and you recycle the sticks when done instead of have to clean One More Gadget if using another cook tool.
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: February 02, 2015 06:15PM
I grilled on Sat, and accidentally left the burners on for an extra 2-3 hrs... Not Alzheimer's, but pretty wasteful, just the same.
I've never tallied an accurate count of how much cook time I get per propane tank, but estimate I threw away at least $7-8 warming up the night sky. Fortunately the beef was so good, I forgave myself!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2015 06:17PM by Psurfer.
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 03, 2015 03:39PM
Wow, I haven't done that yet. But I did forget to shut it off at the tank. The tank emptied from a small leak over the course of a week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 03:39PM by Carm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 204
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020