The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pentax News: Full-Frame SLR is Official
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: February 04, 2015 04:40PM
Look for a full-frame Pentax SLR to be available by the end of the year:

[www.pentaxforums.com]

Interesting that this new body will be "Compatible with DA-series interchangeable lenses, using an image-cropping function." (the DA lenses are optimized for APS-C sensors.)

Along with two new FA-series lenses:

[www.pentaxforums.com]

Interesting that these lenses will be "capable of accepting future models with larger image sensors without modifications."

So now I see what Ricoh/Pentax is doing to help differentiate it's new camera from other FF bodies: forward and backward lens compatibility. Cool!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pentax News: Full-Frame SLR is Official
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 04, 2015 05:32PM
Uncle Wig
Interesting that this new body will be "Compatible with DA-series interchangeable lenses, using an image-cropping function." (the DA lenses are optimized for APS-C sensors.)

Makes sense so that the current user base can upgrade to FF and still use their existing lens until they can upgrade them as well (and more FF lenses become available).

I believe Nikon also lets you mount their APS-C lenses on their FF bodies and has a crop mode on at least some of the bodies. Canon, however, will not let you mount EF-S (APS-C) lenses on FF bodies (it won't physically fit). But you can mount third party APS-C lenses on a Canon FF, but since there's no crop mode, you end up with a heavily vignetted picture that you'd have to crop later.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 04, 2015 07:19PM
It is about time time. Pentax probably lost some users that wanted full frame for a while. I am guessing this is a Sony chip which makes me wonder why they didn't cut a deal a few years back.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: February 04, 2015 07:31PM
pRICE cUBE
It is about time time. Pentax probably lost some users that wanted full frame for a while. I am guessing this is a Sony chip which makes me wonder why they didn't cut a deal a few years back.

Maybe it had more to do with lens development than body. Besides that, Hoya didn't seem in the mood to pursue this, and it's taken Ricoh some time to get the Pentax house more or less in order.

I'll also suggest that a few years back (which means even more years back to allow for development) Pentax didn't see FF as a viable market for them, as existence of a market for a consumer-grade FF camera was by no means clear. They also would have to have known that they would not break into the pro market against Nikon and Canon.

I'll be eagerly watching to see what comes out. I may not be a customer though: it'll still likely be more than I want to spend on a camera. And I still maintain that most people who are sure they desparately need an FF body, don't.

Posted by: thermarest
Date: February 04, 2015 07:47PM
Huh, Pentax still exists. Odd.
Date: February 04, 2015 09:14PM
Uncle Wig
pRICE cUBE

Maybe it had more to do with lens development than body. Besides that, Hoya didn't seem in the mood to pursue this, and it's taken Ricoh some time to get the Pentax house more or less in order.

I'll also suggest that a few years back (which means even more years back to allow for development) Pentax didn't see FF as a viable market for them, as existence of a market for a consumer-grade FF camera was by no means clear. They also would have to have known that they would not break into the pro market against Nikon and Canon.

I'll be eagerly watching to see what comes out. I may not be a customer though: it'll still likely be more than I want to spend on a camera. And I still maintain that most people who are sure they desparately need an FF body, don't.

They invested in creating a 645 sized chip medium format digital but not 35mm FF, odd. The only thing different from aps-c is the mirror box and prism. Pentax makes a very well rounded aps-c cameras. It is too bad their users either had to go medium format or switch to Nikon, Canon or Sony.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Spock
Date: February 04, 2015 09:31PM
pRICE cUBE

They invested in creating a 645 sized chip medium format digital but not 35mm FF, odd. The only thing different from aps-c is the mirror box and prism. Pentax makes a very well rounded aps-c cameras. It is too bad their users either had to go medium format or switch to Nikon, Canon or Sony.

While a 44mm by 33mm sensor is about 1.7 times larger than a 35mm FF it is not 645.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Date: February 04, 2015 09:33PM
pRICE cUBE
Uncle Wig
pRICE cUBE

Because 645 is a marke for which Pentax was already well known, and nobody else besides Hasselblad had explored. Pentax was able to do that at a fairly reasonable price.

I don't think it's odd at all that Pentax has waited to get into the FF game. Until recently there was no market for a consumer grade FF body because the economics didn't work. Now it does. As I've argued before: the "no upgrade path" argument is mostly BS unless you aspire to be a professional photographer, which nearly all photographers don't.

Date: February 04, 2015 09:53PM
Uncle Wig
pRICE cUBE
Uncle Wig
pRICE cUBE

Because 645 is a marke for which Pentax was already well known, and nobody else besides Hasselblad had explored. Pentax was able to do that at a fairly reasonable price.

I don't think it's odd at all that Pentax has waited to get into the FF game. Until recently there was no market for a consumer grade FF body because the economics didn't work. Now it does. As I've argued before: the "no upgrade path" argument is mostly BS unless you aspire to be a professional photographer, which nearly all photographers don't.

Full Frame is not about being a pro, it is about increased depth of field isolation, less noise, more dynamic range, using your 35mm lenses to their full potential. Maybe it wasn't feasible when SLR cameras started at $3k but Nikon and Canon are now selling FF at $1400. Look at the senscore site, the top performing chips are full frame with no APS-C chip coming remotely close. The best performing aps-c is the Nikon D7100 and the image quality does not exceed the D3 from 6 years ago.

Pentax coming out with a FF 35mm does prove Pentax users want an upgrade path. If they didn't, Pentax would not bother with this camera. Advanced amateurs have pined for a lower costing FF since the Canon 5D came out at $3,000. The FF market took off further once the D700 and 5D2 hit $2,000 in the used market. Nikon and Canon could have had lower priced FF but the margins were too fat on those cameras. They recently came out with sub $2k FF because sales were slowing on lenses.

Spock
pRICE cUBE

While a 44mm by 33mm sensor is about 1.7 times larger than a 35mm FF it is not 645.

I am aware that the 645 is not a true 645 sized chip. My point is they poured a lot of R&D into that larger body so making a 35mm frame body is not difficult. I believe they misjudged the market and felt their users would stay on board with aps-c. Problem for them is that Nikon and Canon came out with the D600/610 and 6D below $2,000 and are now selling around $1400.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 09:56PM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: February 04, 2015 10:05PM
Uncle Wig
. As I've argued before: the "no upgrade path" argument is mostly BS unless you aspire to be a professional photographer, which nearly all photographers don't.

BTW, Look up in Nikonians or dpreview forums on the topic of full frame when Nikon had only aps-c DX cameras. Your remark is very similar to the FF is not necessary point of view Nikon users had. Now they gloat about the D4/s having the best imaging chip and the D800/810 having 36mp. Many Nikon users have made the transition for the previously mentioned reasons relating to image quality. Does everyone need FF? No, but some people want options and they will switch platforms just like Nikon users did to Canon before the whole autofocus debacle of the 1D3 and 5D2 era. Choice is profitable and healthy for a camera company to offer.

I welcome this Pentax full frame. They should have done this 2 years ago and beat Canon and Nikon to the FF entry level punch.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 04, 2015 11:37PM
will it be under $1000 US

that would be killer. of course, my old glass is all Nikon, but there are beautiful Pentax lenses out in the world.
Date: February 04, 2015 11:45PM
mrbigstuff
will it be under $1000 US

that would be killer. of course, my old glass is all Nikon, but there are beautiful Pentax lenses out in the world.

I believe it will be consistent with Pentax's quality and features for the money. Pentax cameras typically cost less than Nikon and Canon equivalents but for less cost.

My guess, it will be in the Nikon D610 and Canon 6D price range but have a sturdier build quality of a 5D3 and D750.

I would love to see Pentax in this market space that Canon and Nikon have hogged to themselves. Sony has FF but their wacky ideas have not gained huge traction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 185
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020