advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
tsa pre-check - worth it?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 07, 2015 08:38AM
i fly about 3-4 times a year and i'm considering enrolling in the tsa pre-check program. In theory it seems like a good idea, but in practice i want to make sure it gets me through lines quickly and without hassle.

whats your experience?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: tsa pre-check - worth it?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 07, 2015 08:53AM
My youngest son was given a six month precheck status. No security delays. Whoosh.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: February 07, 2015 09:02AM
Not worth the expense unless you fly several times month. I've flown several times this year and half the time my boarding pass has Pre-check on it. TSA assigns a lot of people to Pre-check in order to boost it's visibility. The only problem is that a lot of these people don't have a clue and end up delaying the line because they don't understand the concept and still take off their shoes and belts and remove their laptops.

Sometimes it's not much faster than the normal line.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: pipiens
Date: February 07, 2015 09:12AM
It works well for me. I fly a lot.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 07, 2015 09:30AM
Global Entry is only slightly more, so you might consider that even if you rarely fly internationally as it includes Pre-Check. Another benefit of Pre-Check is not going through the full body scanners, depending on your view of that technology.

On my last trip at LAX, I went from the curb, checked my bags and got through security in under 10 minutes, and that was on 12/23.

Note that some smaller airports may not run the pre-check line all the time. That happens to me on the return of my most common trip. I still get to go through the metal detector instead of the scanner, but I have to do all the regular x-ray machine nonsense.
Posted by: dmann
Date: February 07, 2015 09:42AM
Funny- I was talking about this last night. I'm in the same situation as you mattkime. Fly 4 or 5 times a year and sometimes get the precheck through the luck of the draw. When the regular lines are bad, they are terrible and from time to time, the precheck isn't much better.

That said, I think I'm going to sign up now. From what I've read, it will be worth it for me to spend an extra $15 and get the global entry version which includes TSA precheck. I'll be traveling internationally twice this year so that's what's influencing that decision. For one trip I'll be traveling alone but on the 2nd I'll be with others who don't have precheck or global entry. I realize there won't be much of an advantage in that situation.

For $20/year, I'm willing to take a chance.

DM

Edited to add: Gareth- didn't see your comments before I posted. Thanks for the add'l info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2015 09:43AM by dmann.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: February 07, 2015 10:42AM
We have Global Entry and have used it once so far and it was great.

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

Posted by: JPK
Date: February 07, 2015 11:20AM
Yes.

And if you fly international at all, I would say go with the Global Entry program as well.

JPK
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: February 07, 2015 11:39AM
Some airports are better than others in the way it's implemented, but there have been several times when I've had it and been with somebody who hasn't and gotten through half an hour quicker. I've probably made a few tight connections with it. As others have, if you travel at all internationally, get the Global Entry program, which also puts you in Trusted Traveler status (and is good for five years).
Posted by: polychrome
Date: February 07, 2015 12:04PM
Worth the expense if you fly out of a busy airport especially in the summer travel months and during major holidays. Not having to remove my footwear is a huge plus. I usually wear sandals and dislike walking barefoot through metal detectors/scanners following sweaty feet. It's true that you may get randomly chosen for Pre-Check but in a year of flying at least once a month, I'll get chosen a couple of times. So paying for this perk is worth the cost. Wish I knew if I'll be traveling internationally the next 5 yrs to justify paying for Global Entry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2015 12:05PM by polychrome.
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 07, 2015 12:30PM
My wife has had it for free for over a year now after being invited to participate through American Airlines. She travels frequently and is currently at their Platinum level. But even being in this free program there have been a few rare times that she did not get PreCheck.

[www.aa.com]

How Can I Become A Participant?

If you're an AAdvantage program member:

Go to aa.com, select My Account and log in
Within My Account, go to the Personal Information and Password tab
If you are eligible to participate in the program, you will see an opt-in field for the TSA Expedited Screening Program
To opt-in, simply check the box

Even though it was initiated through AA, it seems to extend to all airlines, she regularly gets PreCheck when she flies Southwest too.

I don't fly enough to get invited into the program, but still have gotten "randomly" selected for it on a per-flight basis. For some reason flying from SFO greatly improves my "random" odds.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 07, 2015 12:40PM
I have it free through work. I like not having to take off my shoes and belt, not having to take my laptop out, and not having to go through the body scanners. A few times, it's saved a LOT of time because there were maybe 3 people ahead of me instead of the hundred plus in the regular line.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 07, 2015 12:40PM
Pre-Check makes me feel like a lady with class.
Posted by: yeoman
Date: February 07, 2015 01:30PM
Global costs $100, lasts for 5 yrs. Go for it.
Date: February 07, 2015 01:42PM
yeoman
Global costs $100, lasts for 5 yrs. Go for it.

Done!

DM
Posted by: dk62
Date: February 07, 2015 01:59PM
It was much better when they started, now it is getting more crowded, but still definitely worth it. If you have pre-check status (or at least Global Entry, hard for me to separate as I got both together long time ago), you can provide the trusted traveller number when booking the ticket and you will get pre-check status on any airline that offers it.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 07, 2015 02:19PM
My last half dozen flights have all had pre-check. No charge.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 07, 2015 03:20PM
On my last flight, I got the random pre-check. I agree that it's not much faster unless there's a long line.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 07, 2015 03:26PM
freeradical
I agree that it's not much faster unless there's a long line.

Isn't that pretty much self-evident?

It is what it is.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: February 07, 2015 05:54PM
I live near the Canadian border and drive across several times a year - so I got a Nexus pass for $50 - fast lane - no waiting. Nexus gets you Global Entry free - and TSA pre-check as well - good for 5 years. I believe for those living on the southern border, Sentri gets you the same deal.

Well worth it!
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 08, 2015 12:00AM
The concept that TSA security is "necessary" but you can pay to avoid it annoys me.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 08, 2015 01:26AM
btfc
The concept that TSA security is "necessary" but you can pay to avoid it annoys me.

We have the best security theatre that money can buy.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: February 08, 2015 10:25AM
btfc

There is no ill in life that a new fee won't cure.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: max
Date: February 08, 2015 02:22PM
We will give you protection unless you pay us off....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2015 04:04PM by max.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 08, 2015 04:49PM
btfc

It should do more than annoy you - it should anger you.

It is what it is.
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: February 09, 2015 09:24PM
It is worth it!
Date: February 10, 2015 11:21AM
Thought I'd chime in with a quick follow up: I submitted the Global Entry application online on the 7th and received conditional approval today. Scheduled my interview appt for next Tuesday (earliest I could do.)

Surprised it moved along this quickly!

DM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020