advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhoto users: prepare for an all-new interface
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 07, 2015 08:55AM
Here's a look at Photos, coming to Yosemite users this Spring: [arstechnica.com]

Of course, like Snow Leopard you could also just wait for iPhoto to atrophy as the years go on.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhoto users: prepare for an all-new interface
Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 07, 2015 10:11AM
I haven't seen in any articles yet that mention if Photos will have the ability to make web photo galleries or books. Anybody know?

Posted by: Acer
Date: February 07, 2015 10:27AM
As an Aperture user, I am not encouraged by this review.
Posted by: MEG
Date: February 07, 2015 10:32AM
According to the Verge and Engadget previews you can still do books.

The Verge
Apple is still offering the Projects section in Photos, which lets you build and order photobooks, calendars, panoramic prints, and more from the photos in your library.

[www.theverge.com]
[www.engadget.com]
Posted by: modelamac
Date: February 07, 2015 10:34AM
It seems to have slightly fewer features than iPhoto. I may be wrong about that, but am hiding my iPhoto Libraries in Mavericks and will keep them current there. I'd need to buy much more storage space to hold all of them anyway.

I'll start from scratch with Photos and see what happens.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 07, 2015 11:42AM
I like the idea of Photos being faster that iPhoto. It is a much needed improvement. iPhoto is a real dog on my i5 iMac. I'm still unclear on how all my carefully formed events will transition to Photos. I think after all the recent update problems I will be a late adopter this time.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 07, 2015 12:34PM
for davemachine:

Events. Photos doesn’t let you arbitrarily build groups of original photos called Events. It creates its own “events,” grouped by time and place, which it calls Moments, but it doesn’t let you create your own. And it offers traditional albums; you can place an individual photo into many different albums. Your existing Events from iPhoto, and your Projects from Aperture, both appear in Photos as new albums in a folder called iPhoto Events.

[www.yahoo.com]
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 07, 2015 02:23PM
I have to say I don't care for this very much. It sounds like we will be losing a lot of control. I think I'll stick with iPhoto for awhile and see how it shakes out.

* Events. Photos doesn’t let you arbitrarily build groups of original photos called Events. It creates its own “events,” grouped by time and place, which it calls Moments, but it doesn’t let you create your own. And it offers traditional albums; you can place an individual photo into many different albums. Your existing Events from iPhoto, and your Projects from Aperture, both appear in Photos as new albums in a folder called iPhoto Events.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 07, 2015 02:33PM
davemchine
I have to say I don't care for this very much. It sounds like we will be losing a lot of control.

Gee, just like what happened with iMovie and iTunes.

Another step in the wrong direction by Apple.

It is what it is.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 07, 2015 02:43PM
N-OS X-tasy!
davemchine
I have to say I don't care for this very much. It sounds like we will be losing a lot of control.

I wouldn't go that far... I love iMovie... it's easy and fun to use. Of course, if I was used to the old iMovie and had lots of pluggins for it that no longer work, I might think differently. But sometimes you have make a full break from the past to move forward.

I gave up on iPhoto a long time ago, but I have no doubt that I'll like the new Photos more since I have nothing that I'm clinging to in iPhoto.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: February 07, 2015 03:06PM
N-OS X-tasy!
davemchine

Apple has had this approach to app development since QuickTime X. Remember all the features they promised would supposedly return once given some time for development? Nope, and Apple doesn't think most will.

Some people still use QT7 Player with Yosemite.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 07, 2015 03:21PM
hal
N-OS X-tasy!
davemchine

I wouldn't go that far... I love iMovie... it's easy and fun to use. Of course, if I was used to the old iMovie and had lots of pluggins for it that no longer work, I might think differently. But sometimes you have make a full break from the past to move forward.

I gave up on iPhoto a long time ago, but I have no doubt that I'll like the new Photos more since I have nothing that I'm clinging to in iPhoto.

Most users of iMovie 6, including myself, consider subsequent versions to be a step backwards in functionality. And I have zero plug-ins installed.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: February 07, 2015 03:28PM
hal
for davemachine:

Events. Photos doesn’t let you arbitrarily build groups of original photos called Events. It creates its own “events,” grouped by time and place, which it calls Moments, but it doesn’t let you create your own. And it offers traditional albums; you can place an individual photo into many different albums. Your existing Events from iPhoto, and your Projects from Aperture, both appear in Photos as new albums in a folder called iPhoto Events.

[www.yahoo.com]

Unacceptable. Events in iPhoto can be used in different ways that make the feature very handy. Albums are not a substitute, since in iPhoto your main view is always either your events or all your photos. For example, except for really special events (like and airshow where I take many photos), I'll create an Event for each month of the year. It's a good way to keep down the clutter.

More and more, Apple software just sucks. "You will do it the way we say you will do it, because we know better than you how you want to do it."

Posted by: blooz
Date: February 07, 2015 05:10PM
Back-up time, thanks for the warning.
Is a program like this needed to just download from your camera?

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: February 07, 2015 06:24PM
blooz

You'll still be able to use iPhoto to do that.

Posted by: billb
Date: February 07, 2015 06:33PM
blooz

You could still use image capture or nothing.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Felix
Date: February 07, 2015 11:49PM
Oh come on gang. Give Apple a break. They need to take away some features so Tim will be able to announce the most awesome version of OS X / iOS yet in about 5 years.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 08, 2015 01:29PM
I have never used iPhoto. Don't like not seeing my photos directly in the Finder. Is there any reason to think Photos will be any better for folks like me?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020