advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Heading to Siesta Keys in a few weeks… Need some advice for first time flyers and some ideas on stuff to do...
Posted by: spacescape
Date: February 07, 2015 09:08AM
Hey everyone me and the family are heading to Siesta Keys, FL in a few weeks. This will be the first time flying with our 9 Year old and 7 year old sons. My oldest is ASD (Aspergers) and I'm trying to work with hi to not ask too many questions at security to avoid being detained… ha ha… Not funny but I can't help but laugh with what he may possibly ask them.

So, anyone have any suggestions as far as "flying" with first time flyers? Figure try to get there 2 hours early!!!

We plan on going to Clearwater Marine Aquarium, Busch Gardens and The Florida's Railroad Museum… Any other suggestions… Idea's?

Lots of beach time and pool time!!! Too far to Orlando so that's really out of the picture!!!

Thanks.
Bill
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Heading to Siesta Keys in a few weeks… Need some advice for first time flyers and some ideas on stuff to do...
Posted by: J Marston
Date: February 07, 2015 10:13AM
A note from your doctor about your son may help with TSA and on the airplane itself (if you need to board early, etc.).
Re: Heading to Siesta Keys in a few weeks… Need some advice for first time flyers and some ideas on stuff to do...
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: February 07, 2015 10:37AM
Rum and Coke. Kids love Coca-Cola, and a liberal serving will allow them to probably sleep through the flight.

Just a thought.....
Posted by: dmann
Date: February 07, 2015 10:38AM
I took my 10 year old niece to Florida in September. She flew when she was very young so it technically wasn't her first flight, but this was the first time she was AWARE that she was getting on a plane.

She's a curious kid so she wanted to see things- the little galley area, a glance into the cockpit, the wing outside the window, etc. She was nervous during takeoff but the flight tracker quickly captured her attention.

• I bought her an inexpensive digital camera and gave it to her after they collected the cups from the drinks and playing with the camera took up a good hour of the 2 1/2 hr. flight.
• I printed out some info and pics on some of the places we'd be going and she read through those.
• I hadn't told her much about what we'd be doing on the trip so we chatted about that and she got to vote on a couple options I had in mind.

Flying is one of those situations where I think electronic devices are excellent babysitters. Our flight had some decent TV offerings on the seatback sets and we did watch a Food Network show.

Have fun!
DM
Posted by: billb
Date: February 07, 2015 10:52AM
seats at least ten rows apart

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 07, 2015 10:56AM
How is he at focusing on cool stuff outside ? A window seat with a parent in the middle to engage him may help... bring a map and books about clouds and sky, and keep him engaged with the magical reality that is flight, the atmosphere, the earth below, etc.. As a poorly adjusted ADD kid, I was enthralled by such views, and would spend hours in flight glued to the window.

Heck, I still do.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: February 07, 2015 01:56PM
If the weather is nice, kayaking would be a great and fun way to get the family out on the water (and easy to learn if you or the kids haven't done it before). You and your wife could each join a child in a tandem kayak. Search for eco-tours to join a group led by a naturalist on the bay side, where one often sees dolphins and manatees.

If you'd like to experience more of the natural Florida landscape, there are a couple of state parks nearby. Myakka River SP is quite large and has river, lake and dry prairie habitats; you can stroll, hike, bike, kayak, or take an airboat tour of the lake (the alligators are what most people want to see). There is a boardwalk and canopy walkway, too. Oscar Sherer SP is smaller, and connected to the Legacy Trail (11-mile paved bike trail along former railroad bed from Sarasota–Venice). Lots cheaper than theme parks! smiling smiley

Although I haven't been there in many years, you could check out Mote Marine Aquarium (Sarasota): much closer than Clearwater, and has a shark habitat (although your kids are probably too young for the separate"shark feeding experience") and is also a rescue & rehab center for marine life. Of course, Clearwater has the rescued dolphin with the prosthetic tail! The Florida Aquarium in Tampa is very large and fun; there is an outdoor water playground for the kids, with a cafe where the parents can relax and watch. Next door to the aquarium is a WWII Victory ship, free to look at from the outside.

I don't think you will have trouble finding things like mini-golf and rock climbing walls. Last time I was in the Sarasota area, I believe there was also an indoor trampoline park.

Best wishes for a fun vacation!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 07, 2015 03:11PM
The TSA won't care much about what your nine year old says. He'll get the same treatment whether he asks questions or not as long as he stays in the line and moves along. I don't think there has been a time I've gone through TSA screening and haven't asked questions.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 07, 2015 03:33PM
Take them to the South Florida Museum in Bradenton to see Snooty the Manatee.
Sarasota Jungle Gardens
Hunsader Farms. The petting zoo is popular with kids
Second on Mote Marine in place of Clearwater Aquarium
Myakka River State Park is nice
I was a kid who hated fishing but loved to go on deep sea fishing party boats
Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa is the best zoo for kids in the USA

There are some cultural and historic stuff too, but kids tend to be bored by it. But just in case -- gamble Mansion, Edison's Winter Home, Ringling Museum and Vizcaya come immediately to mind.

I grew up in Bradenton, so that is my old stomping grounds.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2015 03:33PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 07, 2015 04:49PM
Chewing gum. Have some readily available. Get the family chewing before the flight takes off. The motion of chewing can allow pressure that may build up in the inner ear to dissipate naturally. When pressure does build up, it can be incredibly painful (this occurs in the eustachian tubes). If any family member does feel pressure building (happens in the sinuses), have them pinch nose shut and GENTLY exhale through the pinched nose until they feel / hear a pop. Some kids are very susceptible to this problem and, you can easily be unaware of the condition until it rears its' head at 10,000'+.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 08, 2015 08:33AM
dmann
. . . Flying is one of those situations where I think electronic devices are excellent babysitters. Our flight had some decent TV offerings on the seatback sets and we did watch a Food Network show.

Our daughter's three boys became obsessed with Angry Birds, so she had to sequester their Kindles. But she gets them out quickly for trips, and they work well to keep them occupied. Also, portable DVD players are good.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: February 08, 2015 04:59PM
ringling museum, Dali museum.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: February 10, 2015 06:59AM
Thanks for all the suggestions!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 238
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020