advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mary J. Blige
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 09, 2015 01:35PM
Should have just had Mary J sing everyone else's songs last night.

She walked out there with Sam Smith and on her first note my Wife was in tears..She only rook a bout half a verse in that song..needed more..She could school Annie Lenox and a bunch of other folks on the virtues of simplicity and not running amok with the melody. One classy woman.

I love her SO!!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mary J. Blige
Posted by: Black
Date: February 09, 2015 02:11PM
What a loss.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 09, 2015 02:47PM
I thought Annie rocked.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 09, 2015 03:59PM

JoeM
Posted by: Schpark
Date: February 09, 2015 04:16PM
jdc
I thought Annie rocked.

Me too. She schooled Mr take me to church.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 09, 2015 04:19PM
Annie rocked. Mary J. was stunning as usual. I like her better than the dude that sang the tune. Katy Perry gave a powerful and moving performance on behalf of victims of domestic abuse. AC-DC was a bunch of fun at the beginning and Ed Sheeran was fun with ELO. Also Jessie J and Tom Jones were very good and Lady GaGa and the indefatigable Tony Bennett were very good together.
Posted by: decay
Date: February 09, 2015 04:50PM
I mean no disrespect, and I try not to slag people - but was anyone else unimpressed by Usher's voice?

Not his performance or the way he respected Stevie Wonder. I thought he carried himself well and did a good job.

I mean the quality of his voice. For someone of that caliber and fame, I expected a better voice. His sounded slightly above average to me... flat, or uninspired. Maybe it was trying to do Stevie Wonder justice?

I'm not saying I could do better. I mean if you're on that stage, you should be the best of the best.

---
Date: February 09, 2015 05:02PM
decay
I mean no disrespect, and I try not to slag people - but was anyone else unimpressed by Usher's voice?

Not his performance or the way he respected Stevie Wonder. I thought he carried himself well and did a good job.

I mean the quality of his voice. For someone of that caliber and fame, I expected a better voice. His sounded slightly above average to me... flat, or uninspired. Maybe it was trying to do Stevie Wonder justice?

I'm not saying I could do better. I mean if you're on that stage, you should be the best of the best.

He ain't Stevie, but then Stevie ain't Stevie anymore. Usher is more of a "performer." His voice is serviceable to me. I like him. He's a great dancer/singer. In the early 90's Stevie started singing at a higher key than before, I guess in order to be competitive with that batch of male vocalists and he's never been the same to me. I complained to my mother about it but then she said Stevie doesn't owe me "spit," and he's earned the right to sing however he wants. Fortunately he's got a lot of stuff that I do like.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 09, 2015 05:08PM
vision63
In the early 90's Stevie started singing at a higher key than before, I guess in order to be competitive with that batch of male vocalists and he's never been the same to me.

He lost me in the mid-80s with the double whammy that was "I Just Called To Say I Love You" and "That's What Friends Are For."

It is what it is.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 09, 2015 05:12PM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63
In the early 90's Stevie started singing at a higher key than before, I guess in order to be competitive with that batch of male vocalists and he's never been the same to me.

He lost me in the mid-80s with the double whammy that was "I Just Called To Say I Love You" and "That's What Friends Are For."

Everybody has to eat.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 09, 2015 05:18PM
Speedy
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63

Everybody has to eat.

But he was still a good singer then. And there were still some good songs. "Hotter than July" was his last really good album for me. But there were a number of songs after that like "Do I Do" and "That Girl." If you went to a concert back then he kicked tail. One time George Michael, who sang a great version of "Loves in Need of Love Today" was asked to sing another song in around 1992 and he said he couldn't because he didn't want to sing at that higher key. They're both tenors but Stevie went from high tenor to Super High Tenor with a bunch of annoying runs. He's still my all time favorite though.
Date: February 09, 2015 07:02PM
vision63
Usher is more of a "performer." His voice is serviceable to me. I like him. He's a great dancer/singer.

I think that's what I was trying to convey. I really don't mean it as disrespect.

---
Date: February 09, 2015 07:10PM
decay
vision63
Usher is more of a "performer." His voice is serviceable to me. I like him. He's a great dancer/singer.

I think that's what I was trying to convey. I really don't mean it as disrespect.
Haterz gon' hate :-)

Date: February 09, 2015 07:14PM
I'm such a music fanatic... maybe I'm elitist? grinning smiley

---
Date: February 09, 2015 07:25PM
Annie doesn't rock when she's doing her gospel thing..she kills stuff..it gets to a point where it isn't musical.

Katy was ok, doing her Ima statue thing

There were some decent performances but Mary J just brings it properly, always.

the poor redheaded brit kid fell victim to Herbie Hancock's aimless plinking and Mayer's clunky solo and plunky embellishments.

I wish the Grammy's would get off of this trip of pairing up artists with other artists all the time..it gets old and dilutes what could be solid performances.

Kanye almost popped his cork..Can we get some security on this kid? seriously, why should these artists have to put up with this guy totally shading them during their winning moments.

ELO surprised me..never was a fan but it was cool to hear a coupla their tunes..

All in all..aside from Annie's Melismatic spasm'ing things weren't as bad as usual..Dont get me wrong, Im a huge Annie fan from the day, I always root for her..but when she starts breathing and stretching notes and modulating endlessly it becomes about her and not about the song..which sucks and is way to common these days.

all of you who disagreed with me??? Go @#$%& yourselves.

: )
Posted by: DP
Date: February 09, 2015 07:39PM
I don't even bother watching. It's just a bunch of egomaniacs giving other egomaniacs awards for having big egos. And it's still the domain of the Music Machine that controls the Pop music scene.
Still Kanye acting like a dick again, stupid jokes, BuyOnce hacking a gospel song to shreds... I heard all of that from those that did watch.
I heard too that Beck won best album for Morning Phase. Listened to about half of it. Good for insomniacs-it will put you to sleep fast.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: February 09, 2015 07:43PM
DP
I don't even bother watching.

Good for you.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 09, 2015 08:05PM
vision63
Speedy
N-OS X-tasy!

Everybody has to eat.

But he was still a good singer then. And there were still some good songs. "Hotter than July" was his last really good album for me. But there were a number of songs after that like "Do I Do" and "That Girl."

Both great songs, I agree. However, both were released in 1982, two to three years prior to the songs I mentioned. (Technically, "That Girl" was released on December 30, 1981, but for the purposes of this discussion we'll just say it was released in 1982.) Another favorite of mine from the same year is "Ribbon in the Sky," an amazing, beautiful song.

That's what is so weird about it for me -- I loved pretty much everything Stevie did up to 1982. His first release after that, "I Just Called..." from the The Woman In Red soundtrack in 1984? Hated it. "Part Time Lover," the single off of his 1985 In Square Circle album? Hated it. "That's What Friends Are For?", released at the end of 1985? HATED it. It's like someone flipped a switch sometime between 1982 and 1984 and stole Stevie's mojo.

In all honestly, though, maybe it wasn't Stevie's fault. 1985 is the dividing line between what I refer to as "good '80s music" (which really began sometime in 1976 or 1977 with bands like the Sex Pistols, the Clash, the Police, Elvis Costello, the Go-Gos, the Germs, the Misfits, Dead Kennedys, et al.) and "bad '80s music," which slithered in with Starship's awful "We Built This City" in August 1985, followed one month later by Mr. Mister's "Broken Wings." This one-two knockout punch of excruciatingly bad songs ushered in one of the worst eras ever in American pop music history, paving the way for acts such as (to name just a few) Tiffany, Rick Ashley, Debbie Gibson, Glenn Medeiro, Breathe, Glass Tiger, Will To Power, Samantha Fox, Gregory Abbott, Milli Vanilli, Mike and the Mechanics, Robbie Nevil, Peter Cetera, Bad English, New Kids on the Block, and hair bands in general to steal the spotlight for the next half decade until grunge arrived on the scene to set things right. Even acts that kicked ass prior to 1985 (including Van Halen; Genesis; Belinda Carlisle, formerly of the Go-Gos; Billy Idol; Chicago; Rod Stewart; Donna Summer; and, as previously mentioned, Stevie Wonder) flamed out in the second half of the decade.

It is what it is.
Date: February 09, 2015 08:12PM
Kraniac
\
I wish the Grammy's would get off of this trip of pairing up artists with other artists all the time..it gets old and dilutes what could be solid performances.)

Then we wouldn't have this:
[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 09, 2015 08:17PM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63
Speedy
N-OS X-tasy!

Everybody has to eat.

But he was still a good singer then. And there were still some good songs. "Hotter than July" was his last really good album for me. But there were a number of songs after that like "Do I Do" and "That Girl."

Both great songs, I agree. However, both were released in 1982, two to three years prior to the songs I mentioned. (Technically, "That Girl" was released on December 30, 1981, but for the purposes of this discussion we'll just say it was released in 1982.) Another favorite of mine from the same year is "Ribbon in the Sky," an amazing, beautiful song.

That's what is so weird about it for me -- I loved pretty much everything Stevie did up to 1982. His first release after that, "I Just Called..." from the The Woman In Red soundtrack in 1984? Hated it. "Part Time Lover," the single off of his 1985 In Square Circle album? Hated it. "That's What Friends Are For?", released at the end of 1985? HATED it. It's like someone flipped a switch sometime between 1982 and 1984 and stole Stevie's mojo.

In all honestly, though, maybe it wasn't Stevie's fault. 1985 is the dividing line between what I refer to as "good '80s music" (which really began sometime in 1976 or 1977 with bands like the Sex Pistols, the Clash, the Police, Elvis Costello, the Go-Gos, the Germs, the Misfits, Dead Kennedys, et al.) and "bad '80s music," which slithered in with Starship's awful "We Built This City" in August 1985, followed one month later by Mr. Mister's "Broken Wings." This one-two knockout punch of excruciatingly bad songs ushered in one of the worst eras ever in American pop music history, paving the way for acts such as (to name just a few) Tiffany, Rick Ashley, Debbie Gibson, Glenn Medeiro, Breathe, Glass Tiger, Will To Power, Samantha Fox, Gregory Abbott, Milli Vanilli, Mike and the Mechanics, Robbie Nevil, Peter Cetera, Bad English, New Kids on the Block, and hair bands in general to steal the spotlight for the next half decade until grunge arrived on the scene to set things right. Even acts that kicked ass prior to 1985 (including Van Halen; Genesis; Belinda Carlisle, formerly of the Go-Gos; Billy Idol; Chicago; Rod Stewart; Donna Summer; and, as previously mentioned, Stevie Wonder) flamed out in the second half of the decade.

I get you, but most acts have their peaks. We're lucky if we can a nice run out of 'em. With singers like Stevie and bands like the ones you mentioned early in your comment, we're fortunate to get that out of them. I listened to a lot of funk which basically flamed out around the same time. They're all trying to remain relevant amidst new competition. They lose their confidence and usually, they overthink and over-produce because they got a lot of money. The last new Stevie Wonder song I liked was "You Will Know."

I stopped paying attention to Michael Jackson a long long time ago, but after he died, I listened to the albums that came out after "Bad," and find them better than I thought they were.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 09, 2015 09:36PM
MJ kicked it. Annie was great at one time, but you gotta use it or you lose it.
MJ kicked it. It would have been good to have her do most of the other music, but most of the other music is hardly.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: February 09, 2015 09:57PM
Fritz
MJ kicked it. It would have been good to have her do most of the other music, but most of the other music is hardly.

I already know how slender your zone of sonic tolerance is.
Date: February 09, 2015 10:22PM
pretty wide actually, I have worked in it for a very long time.
But if you can't cut it live, then yes, I'm intolerant.

MJ and Roseanne have a great natural ability.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: February 09, 2015 11:18PM
Fritz

Roseanne Cash?
Date: February 10, 2015 05:33AM
vision63
Fritz

Roseanne Cash?

the same

!#$@@$#!

Date: February 10, 2015 08:03AM
Black
Kraniac
\
I wish the Grammy's would get off of this trip of pairing up artists with other artists all the time..it gets old and dilutes what could be solid performances.)

Then we wouldn't have this:
[www.youtube.com]

Do we really need that? Elton John was totally flat through his vocal part and the chick voice was what made the entire song-providing relief from EMinem's bug like, helium voice. Pretty sure you were being sarcastic but ha to cover my ass in case you have zero taste

ELton and Eminem coulda just #$%#@$^n each other to make up for their little disagreement.
Date: February 10, 2015 08:06AM
Fritz

Annie still has a voice, its just what she chooses to do with it..lotta people can sing..stylistic choices..Take Christina Aguilleriaro..great voice > hard head little twit who 's on 10 during the quiet parts.melismatic freak....another one..scourge of the times.
Posted by: 3d
Date: February 10, 2015 08:23AM
Just watched the Grammy's last night. After reading this post I paid special attention to both Annie's and Mary's performances. IMO: Annie beat Mary.
Date: February 10, 2015 08:40AM
3d
Just watched the Grammy's last night. After reading this post I paid special attention to both Annie's and Mary's performances. IMO: Annie beat Mary.

You're obviously deaf.
Date: February 10, 2015 09:00AM
Kraniac
3d

You're obviously deaf.

You may be right. Mary's excessive warbling was making my ears bleed. surrender
Date: February 10, 2015 09:02AM
Rihanna sounded better that I've ever heard her sound in her McCartney-West-Rihanna trio..

Might as well have been just her by her damnself..because Paul's mic was shut off and Kanye's mic should have been rigged to explode when he TRIED to sing.
Date: February 10, 2015 09:13AM
I know what you guys mean about mid-80s crapifying of music.

Even solid blues rock acts like ZZ Top went into the dumper with their over-produced mainstream crap. Their reissued CDs added reverb and awful mastering, it was so bad that people with discerning ears/tastes started seeking out their vinyl originals.

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it...

---
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 10, 2015 11:46AM
decay
I know what you guys mean about mid-80s crapifying of music.

Even solid blues rock acts like ZZ Top went into the dumper with their over-produced mainstream crap. Their reissued CDs added reverb and awful mastering, it was so bad that people with discerning ears/tastes started seeking out their vinyl originals.

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it...

Didn't they reissue the reissues to correct those mistakes?
Date: February 10, 2015 12:29PM
There's an interesting interview article in this months tape op with Bob Ludwig a well known mastering engineer.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 10, 2015 02:06PM
Fritz
There's an interesting interview article in this months tape op with Bob Ludwig a well known mastering engineer.

And that would be: (*NOTE* - you'll need to subscribe to read the whole article. The subscription is free)
[tapeop.com]

And while I'm at it, why do I always think "Bilge" when I see MJ's name?

JoeM
Date: February 10, 2015 02:19PM
Kraniac
Rihanna sounded better that I've ever heard her sound in her McCartney-West-Rihanna trio..
Might as well have been just her by her damnself..because Paul's mic was shut off...

I noticed his mic was off too. Since when does Paul Freakin McCartney get treated like Ringo?? Come on now!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018