advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Outlook for iOS getting great reviews but I stil don't understand why you guys think it's risky?
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: February 10, 2015 11:58PM
So, why is the iOS Outlook app so risky and possibly a security risk?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Outlook for iOS getting great reviews but I stil don't understand why you guys think it's risky?
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 11, 2015 12:18AM
Who are "you guys"? confused smiley

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Re: Outlook for iOS getting great reviews but I stil don't understand why you guys think it's risky?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 11, 2015 12:20AM
I don't understand why you want an App to handle what the iOS already does very well.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: February 11, 2015 12:30AM
I don't understand why no one will answer my question?

Date: February 11, 2015 12:31AM
C(-)ris
I don't understand why you want an App to handle what the iOS already does very well.

Who said I wanted to use it. Reread my OP.

Posted by: jdc
Date: February 11, 2015 12:38AM
I want to read where you got your info, so I can read it and make an educated answer?

Brown rice tastes delicious, and lots of other people agree, but by ex-wives brother's first girlfriend from 20 years ago said her mom's first husband told her that its risky to eat.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 11, 2015 01:22AM
Jerry®
So, why is the iOS Outlook app so risky and possibly a security risk?

Are you talking about this? [forums.macresource.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: tenders
Date: February 11, 2015 05:26AM
I've been using it for the past few days. I like it better than any other iOS email app...except the stock Mail, which I just went back to.

Lack of integration with iOS contacts and calendar are huge drawbacks. Also, it seems to have picked up the name I use for Google, which is a nonsense name I made up, and now can't get rid of in every email I send from Outlook even though I changed it in Google.

Security issues? This I confess I'm not relatively worried about, given that I physically hand my credit card to unknown restaurant waitstaff on a regular basis.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: February 11, 2015 07:13AM
This is what I posted several days back:

"Some businesses (especially sensitive) are blocking the app from its Exchange servers - both iOS and Android versions.

The main concern is that a cloud hosted system is storing the user credentials of individuals who use the application, and the cloud hosted system is temporarily holding copies of email messages and attachments.

Somewhat of a poor design choice for serious systems/users."

The app is great, feature and function-wise, but for real-world business and large entity use, it's too much of a liability, as-is, until some of the design changes. As I said, many are blocking the app from connecting with Exchange servers (I am), and anybody here shouldn't be surprised if one day you receive an error (and an automated email in your account Inbox) stating that the app is unable to connect - especially once more people are hip to this.

This is what an email from a serving blocking the app would send you:

Subject
Your mobile phone has been denied access to the server via Exchange ActiveSync because of server policies.

Body
Your phone won't be able to synchronize with the server via Exchange ActiveSync because of an access policy defined on the server.

Information about your mobile phone:
Device model: Outlook for iOS and Android
Device type: Outlook
Device ID: [removed]
Device OS: Outlook for iOS and Android 1.0
Device user agent: Outlook-iOS-Android/1.0
Device IMEI:
Exchange ActiveSync version: 14.1
Device access state: Blocked
Device access state reason: DeviceRule

Sent at 2/6/2015 8:53:14 PM to [removed].

Posted by: testcase
Date: February 11, 2015 07:28AM
You're wondering about a Microsoft product possibly being a security risk?????? ROTFL

Were you born yesterday or, did you come down in the last rainfall?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 11, 2015 08:01AM
jdc
I want to read where you got your info, so I can read it and make an educated answer?

Brown rice tastes delicious, and lots of other people agree, but by ex-wives brother's first girlfriend from 20 years ago said her mom's first husband told her that its risky to eat.

I don't know about all that, but I still don't know if it's safe to reheat spinach. For the record, I do.
Date: February 11, 2015 09:01AM
Forget I asked.

Posted by: MEG
Date: February 11, 2015 09:41AM
Not sure what you're missing Jerry, this pretty much sums it up:

onthedownlow
The main concern is that a cloud hosted system is storing the user credentials of individuals who use the application, and the cloud hosted system is temporarily holding copies of email messages and attachments.

With a normal email client, the email client interacts directly with your mail server. With the new version of Outlook (nee Acompli), you give your email credentials to "them" (the cloud service), the cloud service downloads your email and stores it on their servers, and the Outlook app accesses the email from the cloud service.

The concern is if you are ok with a third party having access to your email.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 11, 2015 11:43AM
My general feelings are:

Agreeing to work with Microsoft is like agreeing to a dinner date with Hannibal Lechter. You might as well cover yourself in butter, roll in some spices and jump in the oven.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 11, 2015 12:37PM
datbeme
I don't know about all that, but I still don't know if it's safe to reheat spinach. For the record, I do.

Well, that's clear as mud.

It is what it is.
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: February 11, 2015 03:09PM
C(-)ris

If your email is on an exchange server, Outlook in iOS is FAR superior to Mail/Calendar/Contacts! I figured that out within 10 minutes of using it.

~A
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 11, 2015 08:07PM
Hmmm, I wonder whether my company will allow this. They probably shouldn't given their new bent on 'information security'.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 11, 2015 09:11PM
sekker
Hmmm, I wonder whether my company will allow this. They probably shouldn't given their new bent on 'information security'.

The default is to allow it.

Your IT guys have to be aware of the problem and change a setting on the Exchange server -- and it has to be a recent Exchange server -- to prevent it.

What you might ask yourself is whether it's appropriate for you as an employee to provide your confidential credentials and correspondence to third parties who won't assume any liability for their own misuse of that information or their disclosures to others.

Posted by: sekker
Date: February 11, 2015 11:07PM
Onamuji
sekker

The default is to allow it.

Your IT guys have to be aware of the problem and change a setting on the Exchange server -- and it has to be a recent Exchange server -- to prevent it.

What you might ask yourself is whether it's appropriate for you as an employee to provide your confidential credentials and correspondence to third parties who won't assume any liability for their own misuse of that information or their disclosures to others.

Good points.

If I could control what gets SENT to my inbox like I control what goes out, I'd have no worries!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 219
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020