advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Upgrading hdd in late '08 24-inch iMac
Posted by: rouderon
Date: February 11, 2015 07:11PM
Bought a 512gb ssd to replace the hdd - this guide [www.analogsenses.com] seems to make it seem fairly easy (at least for someone who somewhat regularly upgrades family & friends' computers).

Anyone have direct experience that can calm my nerves on this upgrade (it's my main machine)?

I currently have the drive cloned and in one of our sponsor's Elephant fw800 drives. Have been following recent posts here about keeping the boot drive in an external enclosure, but would really like to just have it in the iMac.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Upgrading hdd in late '08 24-inch iMac
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 11, 2015 07:19PM
Not too difficult. See: [eshop.macsales.com]

I bought our sponsor's kit, including suction cups, to do one of ours. The replacement was very straightforward. With the help of the OWC installation video!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 04:52AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 11, 2015 07:27PM
Have you tried booting from it to see what it's like?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: MEG
Date: February 11, 2015 07:31PM
Experience taking it apart to replace a drive in a 2008 iMac? Done it many a time - can probably swap a drive start to finish in about 10 minutes now. Fairly easy for those that tinker with computer innards but just take your time if its the first time.

My quick & dirty guide is:
- Pop the glass off (easy with some suction cups)
- remove front bezel
- Undo the screws for the LCD
- Prop up the LCD (I don't take it completely out - there's enough play to access the hd)
- remove drive
- reverse

Just keep on eye on the cables (pulling one out or pinching one - particularly the iSight cable)

Edit: Oh - dust. Look out for dust before putting the glass back on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2015 07:32PM by MEG.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 11, 2015 07:38PM
I really wish Apple would make a mid-range Mac with user-replacable components. Given the significant uptick in quality issues I've experienced with recent Macs, I am this close to making my next Mac a Hackintosh.

It is what it is.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 11, 2015 07:43PM
MEG
Experience taking it apart to replace a drive in a 2008 iMac? Done it many a time - can probably swap a drive start to finish in about 10 minutes now. Fairly easy for those that tinker with computer innards but just take your time if its the first time.

My quick & dirty guide is:
- Pop the glass off (easy with some suction cups)
- remove front bezel
- Undo the screws for the LCD
- Prop up the LCD (I don't take it completely out - there's enough play to access the hd)
- remove drive
- reverse

Just keep on eye on the cables (pulling one out or pinching one - particularly the iSight cable)

Edit: Oh - dust. Look out for dust before putting the glass back on.

Same here, although it was a 24" 2007 model, but nearly identical.

Also use something to keep the foot from moving around -- I wedge a round foam pillow thats firm in-between the screen and the foot. Just watch the foot, it can flop. =)

You really only need one small suction cup in the middle top to pry it off. Dollar store. Heavy duty suction cups are a waste. It should take all of 2 seconds. Those giant orange suction cups are overkill. I could almost just pry it off with a credit card and my fingers.

Speedys video is better than the site you posted to, and the 3.5" to 2.5" bracket is over kill. Just rest the drive in case. Or velcro it to the back of the case.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: February 11, 2015 07:44PM
Black - have been booting from the drive in the fw enclosure and already see a huge difference.

Meg - thanks! Was wondering if there was a way to just prop up the lcd. And, I bought a new can of air for this very project :-)
N-OS X-tasy!
I really wish Apple would make a mid-range Mac with user-replacable components. Given the significant uptick in quality issues I've experienced with recent Macs, I am this close to making my next Mac a Hackintosh.

2012 mini?

----

Posted by: sekker
N-OS X-tasy!

We are Apple laptops and DIY hackintoshes for desktops most of the time now.

We use the hack hardware for 2-3 years running Mac OS X, then convert to windows or Linux when we have a laptop solution or no longer need the Big Gun CPUs or GPUs. Has worked out well.

To OP - this SSD will really make this feel like a new machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2015 07:45PM by sekker.
Date: February 11, 2015 07:48PM
rouderon
Black - have been booting from the drive in the fw enclosure and already see a huge difference.

Meg - thanks! Was wondering if there was a way to just prop up the lcd. And, I bought a new can of air for this very project :-)

I used a phillips screwdriver with the point on the motherboard and the other end on the LCD. Kind of a medium sized one, say 9" tall.

----

Posted by: Black
Date: February 11, 2015 08:20PM
Trying to perform a procedure like this from memory (rather than following a tutorial) is a disaster waiting to happen, but hopefully the OP knows that.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: February 11, 2015 08:39PM
Only if it wasn't my iMac winking smiley
Date: February 11, 2015 09:09PM
One more thing - when I put the glass back on, is it difficult to keep dust from getting on the back side (like when you put a screen protector on a phone)? If so, is there a trick to keeping it clean?
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 11, 2015 09:28PM
1. On your first attempt, be VERY careful when taking the glass off. There are little pins that help to position it and if you accidentally tilt the glass too far before freeing those pins, you'll break the glass. After you've done it once or twice, this will not be an issue -- it's easy to get the feel for it.

2. A magnetic screwdriver is very handy for removing the LCD. Be careful of the magnets on the side of the iMac when removing the LCD after taking the frame off. They'll snatch a screw away from you.

3. The most common mistake that people make when taking apart an iMac is yanking a cable off of the board. Watch the previously-mentioned OWC video so you know where the cables need to be unplugged before removing the aluminum front-piece and the LCD display. When putting the front-piece back on, take care not to pinch the mic cable.

4. When replacing the temperature sensor you will probably not be able to stick it back with the foam tape that originally secured it. You can use almost anything to secure it to the new drive. A bit of scotch tape or electrical tape will do the job if you don't have antistatic mylar tape.

rouderon
One more thing - when I put the glass back on, is it difficult to keep dust from getting on the back side (like when you put a screen protector on a phone)? If so, is there a trick to keeping it clean?

Clean your environment thoroughly before taking the glass off. Don't take the suction cups off of the glass when you pop it off of the iMac. Prop the glass up at an angle on the suction cups when you CAREFULLY put it down after removing it and you may escape a dust problem.

A more subtle and common problem is greasy fingerprints on the LCD. Wash your hands before digging in. Handle the LCD by the frame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2015 09:30PM by Onamuji.
Date: February 11, 2015 09:53PM
I've watched a couple different videos and I don't recall #1 being mentioned - thanks! Are the clips towards the bottom?
Date: February 11, 2015 09:59PM
rouderon

Nah. Really, the screen is the easiest part of the whole thing. I kid you not, 5 seconds.
Pop, set it aside. As long as you aren't doing it out side or on a windy day with the windows open, dust won't be an issue.

On your model of iMac the screws on the side aren't near the magnets -- later ones like my 2010 27" iMac do. Those are deep and can stick to the magnets. I used a magnetic tipped Torx and it was fine.

Ive done 2007/2008 20" AL iMacs, 2007 24" iMac and a 2010 27" iMac -- the 24" was by far and away the easiest.

At the 3 minute mark in the video they start removing a ton of cables... I dontremove any, just prop up the screen and swap out the drive

----

Date: February 11, 2015 10:02PM
rouderon
I've watched a couple different videos and I don't recall #1 being mentioned - thanks! Are the clips towards the bottom?

Not clips. Pins. And most of the time the pins will bend or pop off rather than breaking the glass. (Never saw a tech break the glass that way.) But people break the glass surprisingly often during do-it-yourself jobs. Just saw two come in this week. So watch out for it.

The pins to be careful of are towards the bottom because you'll end up tilting the glass out from the top.

Date: February 11, 2015 10:03PM
jdc
On your model of iMac the screws on the side aren't near the magnets -- later ones like my 2010 27" iMac do. Those are deep and can stick to the magnets. I used a magnetic tipped Torx and it was fine.

Thanks!

I always forget which model is going to snatch the screwdriver out of my hands. smiling smiley

Posted by: silvarios
Date: February 12, 2015 07:59AM
N-OS X-tasy!

I sympathize, but never going to a happen. Hack is in your future. Good luck.
Date: February 12, 2015 03:57PM
Done. Was as easy as you all said - thanks for all your help & encouragement!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 12, 2015 04:02PM
Congrats!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 12, 2015 05:30PM
rouderon
Done. Was as easy as you all said - thanks for all your help & encouragement!

Sweet. =)

----

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 180
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020