advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I saved myself from a horrible fate but Paul F will likely be disapproving
Posted by: davester
Date: February 17, 2015 09:29PM
So, I was all alone for dinner tonight and remembered that I had some yummy british bangers in the fridge.The package was first opened last week so there were only two out of four left and the expiration date is not for another week. So, I heated up a skillet and poured some beer in (bangers in beer, yummy!!!) After the beer got bubbling I removed the bangers from the package and noticed a slippery sliminess to them. By this time I was hungry and was all psyched up for beer bangers, but as I tried to wipe the slimy stuff off a slight uneasiness came over me. Nevertheless I soldiered onwards and threw the bangers into the beer. The aroma was delicious. However, second thoughts started to permeate my brain so I googled "slimy sausages". NOT A GOOD IDEA! The returned descriptions of nasty microbes and unfortunate intestinal disasters turned me off so much that I threw the bangers into the compost bin. I'm now having a breakfast of eggs and avocado on toast (about the only other food left in the fridge). I know that Paul would not have backed down so quickly and I am ashamed.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 09:30PM by davester.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I saved myself from a horrible fate but Paul F will likely be disapproving
Posted by: richorlin
Date: February 17, 2015 09:33PM
No shame in living to bang(er) another day. Better to be safe than sorry.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 17, 2015 09:37PM
I'm guessing it was the sausage skins breaking down from the beer...

But, in a surprise plot twist, "go with your gut" is not a bad way to decide edibleness.

Kinda like I learned regarding shop safety.. If, after taking all the routine precautionss, something you're about to do with hand or power tools makes you pause and gives you a bad feeling - stop and figure out why, or JUST DON'T DO IT.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Re: .
Date: February 17, 2015 09:39PM
Paul F.
I'm guessing it was the sausage skins breaking down from the beer...

Actually, the sausages hadn't yet touched the beer when the sliminess became evident.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 17, 2015 09:57PM
I only feel bad for the beer you wasted.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 17, 2015 10:00PM
funny, I just fed the family some "slightly" slimy hot dogs. but, they, too, were not due for another 10 days. they were also from an open package. I think it has more to do with the exposure to air than to some inherent bad meat.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 17, 2015 11:16PM
I think there are enough chemicals throughout the hot dogs that they would be safe to eat after cooking. Sausages are a different story - I would not eat them.
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 17, 2015 11:19PM
The nose knows.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 17, 2015 11:25PM
It happens regularly with hot dogs and sausages after only a few days after the package is opened.

I like Miller's Beef Hot Dogs and Polish Sausahge available from my local Safeway. The packages last just under two weeks. After a few days, they're slightly slimy, even though I put tim in a ZipLoc bag after opening.

Not a problem. They are tasty.

one occasion the last two sausages did go about three weeks, and didn't smell very good. So they were tossed out.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 17, 2015 11:27PM
Forrest
I think there are enough chemicals throughout the hot dogs that they would be safe to eat after cooking. Sausages are a different story - I would not eat them.

these were the "natural" no nitrates/nitrites variety, so maybe I should have went with the preservative variety!
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 18, 2015 06:15AM
Life is too short - I'd have gone the breakfast route myself.

But I've had severe food poisoning - twice.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: February 18, 2015 07:25AM
I took one for the team yesterday. I ate a bowl of week old potato leek soup. A small bowl. I lived.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 18, 2015 08:33AM
A quick rinse under the kitchen faucet and all would have been well. Just get them hot enough when you cook them.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 18, 2015 08:47AM
You are not supposed to put meat in a compost bin.
Date: February 18, 2015 09:47AM
rz
You are not supposed to put meat in a compost bin.

Not home compost, but it's perfectly OK for the municipal compost. In fact it says so right on the bin.

Posted by: artie67
Date: February 18, 2015 01:59PM
Freezing them works for me. Open the packs on the long side and you can usually break off what you need. Thaw in mic for 20 or 30 seconds and into the pan.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 18, 2015 03:41PM
If I were you, I would have washed the sausages in tap water to remove the slime then I'd give it a very serious nose-check. If it smelled ok, proceed. But I too believe in following your gut - if you don't think it's good, it won't taste good.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 18, 2015 04:30PM
Speedy
A quick rinse under the kitchen faucet and all would have been well. Just get them hot enough when you cook them.

That would have been my solution.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: February 18, 2015 06:12PM
Paul F.
Kinda like I learned regarding shop safety.. If, after taking all the routine precautionss, something you're about to do with hand or power tools makes you pause and gives you a bad feeling - stop and figure out why, or JUST DON'T DO IT.

True. They call it a Sawz-all for a reason. startrek 2

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 06:13PM by Jack D..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018