advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommend some vacation walking shoes!
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: February 21, 2015 01:35PM
I'm heading to Germany this summer and I'll be doing a lot of walking around Berlin, museums, etc. So I'll be needing some good shoes that are comfortable and presentable. (No running shoes please!) For this purpose, "presentable" probably means "black."

I'm considering shoes like this: New Balance 706

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommend some vacation walking shoes!
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: February 21, 2015 01:47PM
If there’s an SAS store near you, check ‘em out. I have to say, though, having been to Germany, you may be overthinking things. Plus, you’re going to stick out, regardless of your shoes.
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 21, 2015 02:03PM
Sketchers Men's Relax Fit. They have a variety of styles. I wear a pair and walk about 3 miles daily in them.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 21, 2015 02:17PM
City streets a flat bottom is probably fine, off the beaten path at all I'd want a country walker with the absorb heel.
Berlin usually isn't too hot so you probably don't need the extra venting over the toes that say a 877 has.
Usually recommended to buy a half size larger with NB, even the ones assembled on this hemisphere.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 21, 2015 02:32PM
I have a pair of Merrell Bare Foots. Not the most attractive, but the most comfortable walking shoe I've ever worn. I think that they're actually a trail runner. Flat sole, no cushion, and very lightweight. Put over 60 miles on them in 5 days walking around cities. My feet didn't hurt at the end of the day. I really wish that Merrell would make one that had a casual look to them. They would make a great everyday shoe.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 21, 2015 02:46PM
I have some fairly severe issues that make walking a challenge. I recently purchase ASICS GT-2000™ 3 and I am thrilled with them. Extremely comfortable and great on walks. [www.zappos.com]

Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 21, 2015 02:51PM
I'd suggest Clark's Wave Tract Lace Up. Bought them for a ten day trip to Italy a few years ago. I spent about 10-12 hours a day walking through Rome, Florence, Venice and other areas with plenty of cobblestones, hills and uneven pavements and my feet were never tired. I have 5 pairs of Waves now, some are slip ons and pretty much wear them most of the time.

[www.amazon.com]

JoeM
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: February 21, 2015 03:06PM
Thanks everyone! Those Clark's look good.

I have some NB runners I use for walking, which are great. But I want something that doesn't shout "athletic shoe" espcially with jeans.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 21, 2015 03:41PM
Be sure to try them out, whatever you choose. For example, I bought Nikes because a podiatrist recommended them and they were the most painful shoes I've ever owned. Gave them away to a friend who said they were immensely comfortable. So like many other things, shoe comfort varies from person to person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2015 03:42PM by $tevie.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: February 21, 2015 04:16PM
Brooks Addiction Walker:
<[www.brooksrunning.com];

Actually come in 3 colors:
[www.onlineshoes.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 21, 2015 04:31PM

and then explain it away by saying you're Canadian.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 21, 2015 05:46PM
$tevie
Be sure to try them out, whatever you choose. For example, I bought Nikes because a podiatrist recommended them and they were the most painful shoes I've ever owned. Gave them away to a friend who said they were immensely comfortable. So like many other things, shoe comfort varies from person to person.

Yes, when I got my first pair of Clarks, after I got home I noticed one shoe's heal squeaked a bit. I didn't notice in the store. I called Clark to see if they could suggest a way to quiet the shoe. A great CS rep said she didn't know any way but to just go to the site and pick any pair I wanted and they would send them to me free. I asked for an address to send back my pair but she said there was no need, just do whatever I wanted with them. That's how I got my first slip on Waves.

What company does that these days? And the squeak went away after I wore the shoes for a couple of days so I wound up with two pairs of shoes for the price of one. I've become a loyal customer and have bought 3 more pairs since then. The toes is tilted up as part of the design so I would try them if you have any interest.

JoeM
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 21, 2015 07:59PM
Ecco. Made for European city walking.

Even Rick Steves agrees.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 21, 2015 08:14PM
I would not recommend black shoes walking out doors in the summer.
Posted by: Frank
Date: February 21, 2015 08:38PM
I second the recommendation for SAS shoes. They are the most comfortable shoes I've worn. I tried all the others recommended here. My feet are wide, maybe that's part of the reason. We don't wear shoes much in Hawaii. My SAS shoes were comfy from day one and I've done LOTS of walking on our many travels.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 21, 2015 09:30PM
Mr Downtown
Ecco. Made for European city walking.

Even Rick Steves agrees.

I third the vote for Eccos. However, as with all shoes, the fit is most important. You have to try them on to see if they are the right fit for your feet.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 22, 2015 06:25AM
Be sure to break them in for a couple of months before you leave.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 22, 2015 09:17AM
I haven't worn anything but Rockport walking shoes for the past 25 years. Boscov's puts them on sale frequently. Expect to pay $60-$80 a pair.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 22, 2015 09:33AM
sekker

I'm trying to make sense of this comment and relate it to walking on European pavements (you do know what Unter den Linden means, right?) or inside museums. Even if you were walking across the Mohave Desert, it's hard to imagine the albedo of the uppers having any appreciable effect on foot comfort.

And what's the alternative? Some sort of white athletic shoe that Europeans (rightly) will snicker at?
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 22, 2015 10:11AM
Mr Downtown
sekker

I'm trying to make sense of this comment and relate it to walking on European pavements (you do know what Unter den Linden means, right?) or inside museums. Even if you were walking across the Mohave Desert, it's hard to imagine the albedo of the uppers having any appreciable effect on foot comfort.

And what's the alternative? Some sort of white athletic shoe that Europeans (rightly) will snicker at?

I have a favorite pair of basically black running shoes. They are extraordinarily comfortable.

But when walking outside in the summer (especially in sunshine), the tops can get QUITE hot. Even tan shoes absorb less heat.

Keep in mind, I tend to walk a lot when on vacation - 12 miles in Rome on foot in two days a few months ago.

I personally wear white sneakers when I'm on a walk-about. But I also have a nice pair of basically brown loafers that can be worn almost anywhere - on a walk, airplane (easy on and off), or as all but the most formal occasions.
Posted by: clay
Date: February 22, 2015 11:14AM
Depends whether or not you want to look like an old man! :-)

I find that shoes like this: [www.6pm.com] are quite comfortable, but also "nice" enough for many settings where "nicer than tennis shoes" are required. Plenty of good options out there that aren't stodgy old man shoes.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: February 22, 2015 03:17PM
I've tried a lot of different shoes over the years, but have settled on Merrell Jungle Mocs--the ones without the little pull on tabs at the back. They've taken me through many 15-mile urban days in a row, from Hong Kong to Paris, and they're my everyday shoes to boot (no pun intended) and look good. Of course shoes are an individual thing, so make sure that whatever you buy, you wear them for several weeks before the trip.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 22, 2015 06:32PM
you can make any shoes (well, most) your most comfortable pair of shoes by finding a good orthotic insert. best of all, you can then transfer it to any other pair of shoes. so, for example, you could take more than one pair of shoes on vacation (maybe not to lug around by backpack or luggage, but you get the point) and then transfer the insert.

I did just that this past summer vacation by taking my Clark's, which were already good, and another pair that I hardly wore but were more dressy.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: February 23, 2015 07:49AM
Take a look at Brooks Addiction Walker. They come in black, so you won't stand out quite so badly. Excellent shoe that you can wear day after day.

[www.amazon.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 178
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015