Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone had a shingles vaccine?: a followup/personal experience
Posted by: flareslow
Date: February 21, 2015 07:18PM
A follow to this topic:forums.macresource

I had a shingles vaccination yesterday, and today has not been fun. I'm 61, so it was age appropriate and I was not suffering from anything disqualifying. I got the shot at about 3pm yesterday and was fine during the evening and night.

When I got up this morning and started moving around, I noticed a lot of muscular and joint pain. I then came down with chills, but no fever. I took some aspirin and bundled up in a recliner. I slept till 1230, took 4 ibuprofen and slept until 2:30. The chills went away and i started feeling better. Muscle, neck, and arm pain returned at about 5:30, so I took 2 more ibuprofen. Pains have lessened somewhat, but the chills are returning.

The pharmacist who administered the shot and none of the literature described anything like this. It seems like some sort of immune system response. I hope my experience is just an outlier.

Mike
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone had a shingles vaccine?: a followup/personal experience
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 21, 2015 07:25PM
sorry this is happening for you. i got the shot last year and had absolutely no side effects.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 21, 2015 07:48PM
With any vaccination, cold/flu like symptoms lasting up to a day may strike within 48hrs of getting the shot. It's your immune system getting cranked up and it's a good thing: That's how you know that it's working.

If you spike a fever, have severe symptoms or symptoms don't go away within a day or so then get to a doctor.

Posted by: tlh828
Date: February 21, 2015 07:50PM
[www.theepochtimes.com]
Date: February 21, 2015 07:59PM
tlh828
[Malicious and exploitative propaganda with numbers taken out of context and false attributions submitted by a "homeopathic physician" who trades on selling fake remedies to the stupid/gullible.]...

Post your fibs on the other side, please.

Posted by: JEBB
Date: February 21, 2015 08:27PM
I had no problems.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: February 21, 2015 08:49PM
I've given this vaccine to hundreds of patients over the last 5+ years. I've never had that as a complaint in the days afterwards. However, as Onamuji said above, this may be your immune system being stimulated.

You also may have caught the Flu recently and these symptoms are related to that. The Zostavax may be a coincidence.

Either way, I hope you feel better soon.
Date: February 21, 2015 08:59PM
Thanks for the encouragement people! I don't think I have the flu since there are no respiratory symptoms. This was the worst reaction I have had to a vaccine since my first flu shot so I felt blindsided.
Posted by: kanesa
Date: February 21, 2015 09:58PM
Had no side effects from the vaccine.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 21, 2015 11:17PM
Zero side effects. Good luck.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 21, 2015 11:20PM
Well that's just terrible. I hope you start feeling better right away.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 22, 2015 01:18AM
well, that as a side effect vs what shingles will do to you...... I'd rather gut out the shot.
Posted by: artie67
Date: February 22, 2015 01:33AM
Had a shot two weeks ago with no side effects. I had called my brother to say hi and he mentioned that he had a mild case of shingles. Oh, and he and I had the chicken pox in the 5th grade. I got the shot asap.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 22, 2015 02:23AM
What baffles me is that insurance companies won't pay if you are younger than 60, but only 50% of the cases are people over 60. So those under 60 DON'T need it? That's only half of those who need it are covered.

Load of crap. Of the 8 people I know of who have had shingles in my family, or my partner's family, 4 were under 60, and 3 were under 50.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 22, 2015 03:23AM
Onamuji
tlh828
[Malicious and exploitative propaganda with numbers taken out of context and false attributions submitted by a "homeopathic physician" who trades on selling fake remedies to the stupid/gullible.]...

Post your fibs on the other side, please.

It is extremely hard to find any studies on vaccinations that were not sponsored or influenced, in some way, by the pharmaceutical industry. According to New York Times reporters, “most of the experts who served on advisory panels … to evaluate vaccines for flu and cervical cancer had potential conflicts that were never resolved.” The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) found that the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) “failed nearly every time to ensure that the experts … were not being paid by companies with an interest in their decisions.”
^^Is the above untrue?^^

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: vicrock
Date: February 22, 2015 05:12AM
I had it a number of years ago - no after effects
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 22, 2015 05:39AM
If you don't vaccinate and do get the shingles, vaccinate as soon as you have symptoms and the shingles will not be as severe.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: February 22, 2015 07:03AM
Neither my wife or myself had any side effects to the shingles shot. About like the flu shot some tenderness at the shot site.
Date: February 22, 2015 07:49AM
Today I'm back to normal. Thanks for all the responses.

Mike
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 22, 2015 08:24AM
flareslow
Today I'm back to normal. Thanks for all the responses.

Mike

glad you're feeling better!

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 22, 2015 09:54AM
Good news that the side effects were short term. thumbs up

I've encountered a few people that had shingles. My elderly neighbor nearly went nuts a few years ago with his battle with shingles. He was so bad off, he couldn't even wear a shirt most of the time. I think it lasted several months with him too. He suffered big time.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 22, 2015 10:14AM
Is this vaccination really necessary? I never really heard much about Shingles until a couple of years ago when these vacines started being pushed in TV ads. At a trip to my pharmacy a year or so ago I asked if it was necessary and the pharmacist, who could give the vacine there, said no, they were really being pushed by the drug companies.

It looks like a lot of folks have gotten the vaccination here and it sounds like the illness is pretty miserable.
Still wondering if I should get it as I'm 62. My pharmacist is really excellent and very knowledgable so I just assumed she wouldn't steer me wrong. I'm still not sure if I should get it or not.

JoeM
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: February 22, 2015 10:27AM
I've known too many people who suffered severely from the shingles & is one of those things I lived in fear of getting.

For 5 years I asked for the vaccine at the VA but had to wait until this past fall when I was old enough. It produced zero side effects but a great deal of peace of mind.
Date: February 22, 2015 10:41AM
Black
It is extremely hard to find any studies on vaccinations that were not sponsored or influenced, in some way, by the pharmaceutical industry. According to New York Times reporters, “most of the experts who served on advisory panels … to evaluate vaccines for flu and cervical cancer had potential conflicts that were never resolved.” The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) found that the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) “failed nearly every time to ensure that the experts … were not being paid by companies with an interest in their decisions.”
^^Is the above untrue?^^

It's misleading.

Drug companies bear the burden of testing about 75% of the drugs and vaccines out there before they go to market because the corporations are the ones that develop the drugs and vaccines. (The other ~25% of drugs and vaccines come from universities and government organizations.) It's how the system is built. Almost anyone you might find who is capable of thoroughly and intelligently examining the development and testing of drugs/vaccines in detail has ties to drug companies because they've come through that system.

If you were writing a legitimate criticism, you might question whether peer review and FDA oversight are good enough. You wouldn't try to imply that vaccines are bad and the FDA is evil because corporations are bad.

That whole thing is one big scare-piece trying to play on people's prejudices.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2015 10:50AM by Onamuji.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: February 22, 2015 10:58AM
Flareslow, glad you're feeling better. This thread has me curious about a question I can't seem to get a straight answer to: if one has already had a case of shingles, does that make the vaccine unnecessary?

I had a case at age 55. Now that I'm closing in on 60, I wouldn't hesitate to get the vaccine once that birthday passes. But I wonder if having had shingles has already gives me immunity or resistance to a second outbreak.

Any thoughts on this?
Posted by: billb
Date: February 22, 2015 11:22AM
shingles a second time is supposedly rare but not impossible
seems ( possible scenario with flareshow ) if your immune system isn't quite up to snuff you can get it again ( among a rather long list of things you become target for) and/or exhibit odd side-effects

there are also contraindications for (most vaccines ) this you should be made aware of when getting the shot itself.

Course there's always herd mentality and you could just follow everybody else

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 22, 2015 11:24AM
>>It looks like a lot of folks have gotten the vaccination here and it sounds like the illness is pretty miserable.

its definitely optional.

flareslow's illness was certainly unpleasant but its extremely minor compared to the pain that can be associated with shingles.

Posted by: prymsnap
Date: February 22, 2015 11:28AM
billb

Course there's always herd mentality and you could just follow everybody else

Your coda to an otherwise helpful post has me wondering if you feel my query is somehow foolish. I do, however, appreciate your info about repeat occurances of shingles being rare.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 22, 2015 12:12PM
JoeM
Is this vaccination really necessary? I never really heard much about Shingles until a couple of years ago when these vacines started being pushed in TV ads.

A shooting buddy of mine in his 60's got shingles... for him it lasted 6-7 months, and by the end, his family had his firearms removed from the house because the pain was so bad, he was talking about suicide.
And this is one of those guys (Korea era Marine, logger, and generally tough SOB) that when HE talks about "the pain is so bad, I just want it to end" - well, as soon as I'm able, I'm getting the Shingles vaccine.

Fortunately, he is now recovered.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 22, 2015 02:04PM
I am glad they have a shingles vaccine, as I have heard that it can be horrible to get shingles.
The only problem is, it only reduces your chance of getting shingles by a little over 50%. Now, that is still better than no protection at all, but I would have hoped for better than a 50/50 chance.

In a clinical trial involving thousands of adults 60 years old or older, Zostavax reduced the risk of shingles by about half (51%) and the risk of post-herpetic neuralgia by 67%. While the vaccine was most effective in people 60-69 years old it also provided some protection for older groups.Nov 21, 2014

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2015 02:05PM by rgG.
Date: February 22, 2015 02:56PM
rgG
I am glad they have a shingles vaccine, as I have heard that it can be horrible to get shingles.
The only problem is, it only reduces your chance of getting shingles by a little over 50%. Now, that is still better than no protection at all, but I would have hoped for better than a 50/50 chance.

In a clinical trial involving thousands of adults 60 years old or older, Zostavax reduced the risk of shingles by about half (51%) and the risk of post-herpetic neuralgia by 67%. While the vaccine was most effective in people 60-69 years old it also provided some protection for older groups.Nov 21, 2014

That's the pain the "shooting buddy" above almost killed himself over.

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: February 22, 2015 03:32PM
I had chicken pox when a senior hoping schooler! Whew. Got me vaccine as soon as I could! No problems that I recall. But, I just got my second pneumonia vaccine last week, it kind of knocked me down a bit. I get all my stuff at VA as high % service connected Vietnam vet. They said there's a new pneumonia shot out now, so I might have to get that one too.

Anyway flares, glad ye're better! Let's hang in boys, we're gonna make it.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 22, 2015 08:14PM
I never got chicken pox as a kid, so I don't think I'll get shingles. I did get the vaccine for chicken pox as an adult though, when my son was born.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: February 23, 2015 07:45AM
If you have ever seen anyone with a severe case of the shingles, you would do exactly what I did. I got the shot the day it was available for me. My wife did the same. No problems.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 23, 2015 08:02AM
Shingles is not something you want to experience! So very glad there's a vaccine now.

Plenty of vaccination experts without ties to corporations.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 216
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018