advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
1923 School Teacher Contract - For Real?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 22, 2015 08:45PM
Wow!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 1923 School Teacher Contract - For Real?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 22, 2015 08:49PM
Kinda doubt it... But such "conditions" were encouraged of single women teachers at the time... But I doubt they were put on paper.
I've been known to be wrong once in a while though.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 22, 2015 10:07PM
I've seen the same thing for years, attributed to different decades and places. The oldest version I find is from 1974.

Certainly it wasn't originally typeset in Times Roman.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 22, 2015 10:16PM
my grandmother told me stuff along those lines were imposed on her in nursing school in the '20s. My mom had some restraints on her in nursing school as well.

Plausible at least.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 22, 2015 10:23PM
[www.snopes.com]

The bottom line is that nobody has ever been able to verify the authenticity of this list of rules. It has been reproduced in countless newspapers and books over the last fifty years, and copies of it have been displayed in numerous museums throughout North America, with each exhibitor claiming that it originated with their county or school district. It has also been also offered in a number of different guises, such as a list of rules for sales clerks at W.T. Stewart's department store in New York, for floor nurses in a hospital, and for the employees of a New England carriage works. All attempts to trace this document to its origins inevitably dead end with a photocopy or printed sheet of indeterminate origin (and suspiciously modern vintage).

...We are curious about why so many supposedly genuine reproductions of this document include a heading that mentions a specific year, such as "RULES FOR TEACHERS — 1872." If these documents were genuine, why wouldn't the headings simply read "RULES FOR TEACHERS"? Did the rules change so frequently that including the year was necessary to avoid confusion? Do these documents represent an important revision to the "RULES FOR TEACHERS — 1869" list?

Posted by: Black
Date: February 23, 2015 02:20AM
Onamuji

...We are curious about why so many supposedly genuine reproductions of this document include a heading that mentions a specific year, such as "RULES FOR TEACHERS — 1872." If these documents were genuine, why wouldn't the headings simply read "RULES FOR TEACHERS"? Did the rules change so frequently that including the year was necessary to avoid confusion? Do these documents represent an important revision to the "RULES FOR TEACHERS — 1869" list?[/i]
Ouch :-)

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: IronMac
Date: February 23, 2015 03:10AM
You'd be surprised at what sort of rules women had to endure.

There was a very good British documentary about shopgirls from a year or two ago. Try and find it and you will see what conditions were like.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 23, 2015 04:25AM
The US Govt imposed rules upon the civilian woman working at Oak Ridge, TN in the 1940's. Rules were similar to college dorm rules in that there were curfews, no visitors, no smoking, drinking, or gambling.

Married African-American couples were also no allowed to live together, with males and females each being housed in separate hutments.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 23, 2015 01:02PM
> ""RULES FOR TEACHERS"? Did the rules change so frequently that including the year was necessary to avoid confusion? Do these documents represent an important revision to the "RULES FOR TEACHERS — 1869" list?"

The pic of the document I posted said School Teachers Contract and the Snopes link says a list of rules. Maybe two different things we're talking about here with common elements?

A contract would definitely have a date on it. A list of rules, more likely no.

I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of these conditions were valid at some point of time here in the good 'ol USA. I'm guessing that contracts varied far and wide across the land during the 1920's.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: February 23, 2015 01:55PM
$75 per month, what a bunch of greedy teachers. Scott Walker would get them back in line right quick! smiley-music039

Posted by: Michael
Date: February 23, 2015 03:41PM
In Schenecectady, NY, they were paying twice that amount:

[www.schenectadyhistory.org]
Posted by: MarkD
Date: February 23, 2015 04:14PM
Doesn't look right for a contract, i.e. no place for signatures, dates, etc. Certainly would be more rules than those listed. This looks like someone put it into this format so the document would look more impressive. Lots of uses of these rules published in books/web without attribution. Sounds like a perfect rabbit trail to waste time!
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 23, 2015 04:40PM
That looks like a form that someone just printed out, took a low res photo, applied a brown PS filter, and jpegged the hell out of.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 23, 2015 05:58PM
Rick-o
The pic of the document I posted said School Teachers Contract and the Snopes link says a list of rules. Maybe two different things we're talking about here with common elements?

A contract would definitely have a date on it. A list of rules, more likely no.

A contract would have a signature line at the end. It's not binding for any terms below the signature. And the date would be adjacent the signature. This was true centuries ago as well as today. Whoever tried to fake it knows nothing about contract law.

Here's one from 1796:

...And that "contract" uses a modern typeface and it's got a really bad distortion filter on it, etc.

Late edit to correct a spelling error that I just spotted. No changes of any substance.

:-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 06:28PM by Onamuji.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018