Lady Gaga
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 22, 2015 10:19PM
Wow.

Just WOW!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Lady Gaga
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 22, 2015 10:27PM
Murdered it.
Posted by: dmann
Date: February 22, 2015 10:27PM
I had no idea she could sing like that. I admit I'm not all that familiar with her music and have heard things I have liked, but that was an absolutely beautiful performance.

DM
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: February 22, 2015 10:37PM
Rats. I'll have to watch it later.

She has a great voice! I like her a lot, even if some of what she does isn't to my taste. I admire her creativity and talent.

Date: February 22, 2015 10:40PM
I had no idea she could sing like that. I admit I'm not at all familiar with her music... but that was an absolutely beautiful performance.

I don't get out much, so I'm completely unfamiliar with her work, so I ripped off your post, d.

But WOW!

Murdered it.

There are a lot of great female vocalists but few really have such a purity of voice, like a perfect musical instrument. Hers could be used to calibrate tuning forks.

God, she was great!

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 22, 2015 11:07PM
didn't see it, but did you hear her do this Stevie Wonder tune? man...

[www.dailymotion.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2015 11:09PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 22, 2015 11:22PM
She's in the wrong end of the business.

...Anyone else get a strong "young Barbara Streisand" vibe offa that performance?

When is she going to start doing movie musicals?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2015 11:26PM by Onamuji.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: February 22, 2015 11:35PM
Check out her CD with Tony Bennett!
Date: February 22, 2015 11:46PM
Madonna watches that, and wishes she could sing.

Posted by: davester
Date: February 23, 2015 12:07AM
I was quite surprised. After the other musical performances, most of which I thought were absolutely pathetic, she sang those songs with heart and feeling.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: February 23, 2015 12:24AM
Uncle Wig

Madonna is a fine singer. Lady GaGa sings great on all her albums, so I don't get folk's surprise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 12:25AM by vision63.
Date: February 23, 2015 12:39AM
Madonna is a fine singer.

Absolutely.

Early on, I saw her as just another pop singer who was more performer than singer.

Then there was Evita. She worked hard at becoming a singer and nailed it.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: davester
Date: February 23, 2015 01:08AM
vision63
Uncle Wig

Madonna is a fine singer. Lady GaGa sings great on all her albums, so I don't get folk's surprise.

My surprise was at her rendition of songs that seem so atypical for her.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 23, 2015 02:17AM
Lady Gaga = very satisfying performance.

=wr=
Posted by: Black
Date: February 23, 2015 02:21AM
So sad. Seemed like she was just starting to blossom.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: February 23, 2015 04:55AM
vision63
Uncle Wig

Just because a performer sounds okay on an album doesn't mean that they have talent.

It's called "autotune." It's why modern "performers" are seldom called "singers" these days. Most popular performers can't sing very well or with much range. In the studio, they rely upon engineers to set their voices to the right pitch and to match the beat. On stage, they rely upon what amounts to modern conjuring tricks, distracting choreography and pre-recorded voice-tracks to put on an entertaining and lucrative show without having to have any particular talent of their own.

Sometimes, a performer starts out with a bit of talent, but drugs and other temptations quickly steal that away. Whether Lady GaGa had talent to begin with or not (personally, I think she did), it was debatable whether she still had any talent years later.

That's why this was a pleasant surprise.

Date: February 23, 2015 05:49AM
Onamuji
vision63
Uncle Wig

Just because a performer sounds okay on an album doesn't mean that they have talent.

It's called "autotune." It's why modern "performers" are seldom called "singers" these days. Most popular performers can't sing very well or with much range. In the studio, they rely upon engineers to set their voices to the right pitch and to match the beat. On stage, they rely upon what amounts to modern conjuring tricks, distracting choreography and pre-recorded voice-tracks to put on an entertaining and lucrative show without having to have any particular talent of their own.

Sometimes, a performer starts out with a bit of talent, but drugs and other temptations quickly steal that away. Whether Lady GaGa had talent to begin with or not (personally, I think she did), it was debatable whether she still had any talent years later.

Name these "modern performers."
Posted by: tenders
Date: February 23, 2015 06:20AM
Lady GaGa's guest hosting on SNL a year or two ago was one of the best episodes in a long time. She is very talented.
Posted by: decay
Date: February 23, 2015 07:17AM
Ke$ha is but one example of auto-tuned horrible "music"

---
Posted by: Black
Date: February 23, 2015 07:54AM
I'm of a mind that Auto-tune intentionally for effect, is on a par with reverb or any other vocal effect. This entry is pretty well-researched:
[en.wikipedia.org]
After seeing Foster the People and War on Drugs last year, my attitude is that any vocal effect (in moderation) is fine as long as it doesn't make your voice sound worse than it actually is.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: February 23, 2015 08:35AM
for effect is fine. like putting pepper on your meal.

you don't put 1/4" of ground pepper over your whole plate. it ruins the food.

don't call yourself a cook if all you can do is over-season the dish.

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 08:36AM by decay.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 23, 2015 08:39AM
Black
I'm of a mind that Auto-tune intentionally for effect, is on a par with reverb or any other vocal effect. This entry is pretty well-researched:
[en.wikipedia.org]
After seeing Foster the People and War on Drugs last year, my attitude is that any vocal effect (in moderation) is fine as long as it doesn't make your voice sound worse than it actually is.

<threadjack>
shouldn't Foster the People won a Grammy for Best Friend? I think so.
Posted by: raz
Date: February 23, 2015 08:40AM
decay
you don't put 1/4" of ground pepper over your whole plate. it ruins the food.

mmm.... Steak Au Poivre

but the rest of your point is valid

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: February 23, 2015 08:49AM
I did think about Steak Au Poivre, haha! grinning smiley

---
Posted by: mspace
Date: February 23, 2015 09:00AM
Madonna DID work hard for Evita, and lived through her Oscar vocals, but she had to, as she was notorious for having to be "fixed" in the studio. She was never the musician that Lady Gaga is, nor have the vocal ability.

While studio fixing that will sell a whole package and make everyone money is ok, it is a great relief to hear someone from the pop side who can "bring it" to other styles on their own.

Jennifer Hudson and John Legend were strong, too, but I've yet to hear them (or others) cross over as Lady Gaga done has so well.
Date: February 23, 2015 09:35AM
vision63
Onamuji
vision63
Uncle Wig

Madonna.

Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: February 23, 2015 09:40AM
I love this version of Lady Gaga's "Applause":

[www.youtube.com]

With the Muppets, no less!

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 23, 2015 09:52AM
The UnDoug
I love this version of Lady Gaga's "Applause":

[www.youtube.com]

With the Muppets, no less!

There were no Muppets in that video (W&S at the end doesn't count). I feel ripped off! mad smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Wags
Date: February 23, 2015 10:26AM
mrbigstuff
didn't see it, but did you hear her do this Stevie Wonder tune? man...

[www.dailymotion.com]

Great rendition on vocals, fakey playing on the suitcase, however. Yeah, we know she can play, but she's not really playing here.

Stevie, on the other hand...

[www.youtube.com]

Still, she's a genuine talent with more depth than most anyone else on the national stage at the moment.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: February 23, 2015 11:15AM
I wasn't familiar with her music until about a year ago when she had a special on TV (I think with the muppets). During that special, she went head-to-head with Elton John on dualing pianos. I was like "wow"! Since then, I kind of have kept an eye on her. Lot of her stuff not totally my taste. But, I have come to consider her as "very talented" as well. I thought she nailed it too last night on the Sound of Music song.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 23, 2015 12:24PM
Uncle Wig
vision63
Onamuji
vision63
Uncle Wig

Madonna.

Not modern.

It is what it is.
Date: February 23, 2015 12:39PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Uncle Wig
vision63
Onamuji
vision63
Uncle Wig

Madonna.

Not modern.

She is releasing a new album next week, and it's not old standards.

---
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 23, 2015 02:26PM
I've thought GaGa was a wonderful singer for a long time. She would frequently break out of her mold while performing live on talk shows and you could tell she had a great deal of depth to her talents. I think it's great for someone to use their wealth and fame as an opportunity to explore various sides of their personality.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 23, 2015 03:30PM
If she had been wearing a meat dress I wonder how many people would be praising her Oscar performance.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 03:31PM by Speedy.
Date: February 23, 2015 04:15PM
Speedy
If she had been wearing a meat dress I wonder how many people would be praising her Oscar performance.

She would have had to tweak her performance so as to sing "The Sound of Mutton," "My Favorite Wings," and "Climb Ev'ry Mountain (of Mashed Potatoes)."

It is what it is.
Posted by: August West
Date: February 23, 2015 05:37PM
To touch on that lip sync live performances thing - when I did professional audio and kept up with industry trends, I gave up on any really choreographed shows. I learned how an engineer set up a Pro Tools rig under Janet Jacksons stage and played her "live" concert from there. Now I believe they mix a bit of live voice with the prerecorded track. This is NOT a comment related to Lady Gaga's really impressive performance.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Date: February 23, 2015 05:47PM
vision63
Onamuji
vision63
Uncle Wig

Pick any one at random:
[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: decocritter
Date: February 23, 2015 07:25PM
An Entertainer, pure talent
Date: February 23, 2015 08:25PM
Onamuji
vision63
Onamuji
vision63
Uncle Wig

Pick any one at random:
[www.billboard.com]

Just rank narrow-mindedness. Stuff you can't relate to, therefore its bad.
Date: February 23, 2015 08:46PM
vision63
\
Just rank narrow-mindedness. Stuff you can't relate to, therefore its bad.

I never said it was bad. It's simply inhuman.

Audio engineers work miracles on people's voices. Hearing the before-and-after is incredible. And they can do it live for stage-shows, too.

Anyone with a little knowledge and an expensive plugin can take William Hung and turn him into Ricky Martin in real-time. Except for the dancing. Nobody can fix that.

Date: February 23, 2015 08:49PM

Hearing the before-and-after is incredible.

That's entertainment. Movies have special effects, too.

Anyone with a little knowledge and an expensive plugin can take William Hung and turn him into Ricky Martin in real-time.

That's a gross over-simplification.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Date: February 23, 2015 09:10PM
August West

Anyone with a little knowledge and an expensive plugin can take William Hung and turn him into Ricky Martin in real-time.

You obviously haven't heard Britney Spears singing without pitch-correction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 09:11PM by Onamuji.
Date: February 24, 2015 01:26AM
Onamuji
vision63
Onamuji
vision63
Uncle Wig

Pick any one at random:
[www.billboard.com]

OK, real quick. I'll pick the Top 20 of the Billboard list that you posted. Each performer "randomly" appearing in the list you chose in the top 20 are quality singers. I know singers. Trust me, whatever music "you" like and enjoy, I'll bet you I also like and enjoy it. BUT, I don't stop there. I keep going. You should too. I know what I know because I'm open to enjoying anything worth enjoying. I enjoyed the stupid William Hung song for a minute. Pick any one at random. That's just being kind of a hater man.

1. Bruno Mars. A gifted writer and singer. A gifted "live" singer. Superior performer.
2. Ed Sheeran. A gifted newcomer. Sings, plays and writes.
3. Hozier. A very entertaining singer songwriter that sings and sings and sings unencumbered live.
4. Rihanna, Kanye and Paul McCartney. Kanye uses Autotune because he doesn't care. I've seen Rihanna live several times and Paul is Paul. Love Rihanna.
5. Maroon 5. Everybody knows Adam Levine can sing his butt off.
6. Elie Goulding. Sings her ass off live. A very good artist.
7. Taylor Swift. The premier singer/songwriting genius of her generation. Would rank in your generation as well.
8. Sam Smith. Not my cuppa tea but I know he can sing well live
9. Meghan Trainor. Chick can sing smoothly as butter.
10. Taylor Swift again. She is the bomb.
11. Sam Smith. Can sing all by himself.
12. Earned It. Not that familiar but I can tell he can sing.
13. Pitbull and Neyo. Pitibull does his thing and Neyo can flat out sing.
14. Usher and Juicy J. Trying to tell me Usher can't sing?
15. Taylor Swift yet again. Sings her butt off.
16. Fall Out Boy. I like them but I don't know about them live.
17. Meghan Trainor. All about that singing live.
18. Nick Jonas. No autotune.
19. Nicki Minaj, Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown. Rappers and Chris Brown can sing very well. Nicki can sing too.
20. Sia. Seen her sing live too many times. Great artist.
Date: February 24, 2015 05:20AM
vision63
Pick any one at random. That's just being kind of a hater man.

I don't know why people keep saying that acknowledging the role of technology in making a modern album is a hate-crime.

Must touch a primal chord.

Date: February 24, 2015 10:18AM
Onamuji
vision63
Pick any one at random. That's just being kind of a hater man.

I don't know why people keep saying that acknowledging the role of technology in making a modern album is a hate-crime.

Must touch a primal chord.

The only primal chord it touches for me is when people diminish or trivialize the efforts of others. We're entitled to like what we like and dislike what we don't. If you say things that aren't true it spreads. I know you are a smart person and have great tastes. But it almost comes natural to be dismissive "Most popular performers can't sing very well or with much range." That's simply not true. It's also not important. A good song is a good song. We'd never know Bruce Springsteen or Tom Waits if that were the case.

Check out newbie Ella Henderson. There is no way you won't like her. [www.youtube.com]

Or Jessie J singing "Bang Bang" acoustically. [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 10:28AM by vision63.
Posted by: blooz
Date: February 24, 2015 10:22AM
Thanks for bringing my attention to this RAMd®d.
Nice to see the lady getting out of freak mode and really showing her talent. That was a hell of a performance.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Date: February 24, 2015 12:47PM
Onamuji
August West

You obviously haven't heard Britney Spears singing without pitch-correction.

As I said, you are engaging in a gross over simplification with your statement.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 24, 2015 02:26PM
vision63

Sia is flat out awesome!

Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 24, 2015 02:32PM
Wheel of Musical Impressions with Jimmy Fallon and Christina Aguilera:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 24, 2015 03:54PM
AllGold
vision63

Sia is flat out awesome!

Yep.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018