The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Important study about peanut allergy
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 23, 2015 06:11PM
[www.bbc.com]

Early exposure 'cuts peanut allergy'

Lead researcher Prof Gideon Lack told the BBC: "[It was] exciting to us to realise for the first time that in allergy, we can actually truly prevent the development of disease.

"It represents a real shift in culture."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Important study about peanut allergy
Posted by: decocritter
Date: February 23, 2015 07:17PM
I was given peanuts and and peanut butter from the time I was a baby. I was rushed to the hospital countless times until they figured out that it was not chocolate but peanuts that I was allergic to. I am still at 56 deathly allergic
Date: February 23, 2015 07:22PM
I hope you carry an epipen.

I ate all sorts of nuts, including Hazelnuts until 2010 when I had an Anaphylactic shock and ended up in ER (I basically passed out, 911, IV, Oxygen mark, only thing missing from this mini production was Blood). I ate hazelnuts, from the same box, on Mon, Tue, Wed and on Thursday I passed out. Go figure. maybe on Thursday I ate slightly more than on previous days, but still, from no reaction to full Anaphylactic shock...
Date: February 23, 2015 07:29PM
Wow, I don't have one. But I haven't had a bad attack in decades. I ask obsessively about peanuts whenever I can't control what I eat. I did get a bad rash on an airplane, evidently they still sell mixed nuts on some flights and nothing prevents people from bringing it on themselves.
Date: February 23, 2015 07:35PM
you should really cary an epipen. It may just save your life. and don't eat nuts on a plane! in fact don't eat nuts at all. My doc tested me for peanuts, I am not allergic, but he said that some peanut proteins are somewhat similar to nuts proteins and I could end up with a shock, just like I and on hazelnuts. he told me to avoid all nuts. I used to love pecans and pistachios...

talk to your doc if you should carry an epipen, with my high deductible plan, I pay about $325 for a 2-pack.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 23, 2015 08:13PM
Adds some weight to the hypothesis that our overly-sanitized environments (including food) are conducive to allergy development. Obviously doesn't account for all of them.

Peanuts are not nuts, by the way, but legumes (related to beans).

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: February 23, 2015 08:20PM
Peanuts are not nuts, by the way, but legumes (related to beans).

Yes, I now that. I was very surprised when doctor told me to avoid peanuts, asked him why since they are not related to nuts, but he said some proteins are somewhat similar, and he has seen enough cases where people with nuts allergies also developed peanut allergy (and the other way around). he told me it is just safer to also avoid peanuts.
Date: February 23, 2015 08:40PM
From the doo-@#$%& era,

[www.youtube.com]

The Marathons, "Peanut Butter" (1961) smiley-music039

/Mr Lynn

PS The Forum Nanny doesn't like w-o-p.
Date: February 23, 2015 10:17PM
not allergic to other nuts or legumes

I will get an epi pen
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 23, 2015 11:27PM
I suspect a lot of trending allergy and autoimmune disorders could be reduced with more exposure to the environment as newborns than the modern baby gets.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: February 24, 2015 01:35AM
I was reading the npr report and the original report cites the common experience in Israel of giving babies peanut based snacks (not peanut butter) as a sort of innoculation. The amounts were equivalent to 1-1/3 tablespoon a WEEK of peanut snack (1/2 tsp a day). What is that.... 20 peanuts? I read that there are 500 peanuts in 12 oz jar. Interesting study all around.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 01:37AM by pqrst.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: February 24, 2015 01:44AM
Acer
I suspect a lot of trending allergy and autoimmune disorders could be reduced with more exposure to the environment as newborns than the modern baby gets.

I concur and am reminded of the habit of leaving babies snoozing outside in freezing weather in Sweden.
[www.bbc.com] Imagine the reaction here in the us.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: February 24, 2015 06:49AM
A bit off topic now, but you can get EpiPens for free(I do regularly, they expire so quickly!): [www.epipen.com]

I've always suspected that this was the case-it isn't early introduction of allergenic foods that cause allergies!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 24, 2015 08:47AM
I put all kinds of foods in front of our children when they were infants, mostly for the adaptation to smell but I also gave them a variety of tastes once they could eat on their own.

you can always walk into an emergency room, sit down, and give your child a peanut.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 24, 2015 09:05AM
Seems I recall seeing an article about research that associates peanut allergies with the way they're cooked. I"ll see if I can find a link.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 24, 2015 09:11AM
Hi everyone,

I take _serious_ issue with the idea that trending allergy and autoimmune disorders could be reduced with more exposure to the environment. My reason? Safety. Some people are so allergic to a given item a single exposure is enough to kill him/her.

The key terms that are critical to that sentence but aren't in it are supervised and controlled. This is how allergy shots work. It's supervised controlled exposure to the allergen.

Robert
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 24, 2015 10:16AM
But immediate death from the first exposure to an allergen is a very, very rare experience. The immune system isn't pre-programmed for every pathogen or allergen, it must learn as it goes. That's why we all have colds every month as children, but as adults we get them much less frequently. Perhaps lack of exposure to immune system stimuli during the first year of life is what increases the risk of misfiring and over-reacting later.

Babies have been growing up in the dirt, eating what the family eats since sexual reproduction dawned on the planet.
Date: February 24, 2015 10:19AM
Robert M
I take _serious_ issue with the idea that trending allergy and autoimmune disorders could be reduced with more exposure to the environment. My reason? Safety. Some people are so allergic to a given item a single exposure is enough to kill him/her.

The key terms that are critical to that sentence but aren't in it are supervised and controlled. This is how allergy shots work. It's supervised controlled exposure to the allergen.

The history deserves more study. When I was a kid, we never heard of peanut allergies, or others except for maybe hay fever. Were they less prevalent, or did the vulnerable kids just die before entering school, or were there actually fewer?

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 24, 2015 10:23AM
Acer,

Rare but definitely within the realm of possibility. However, even a severe but not deadly allergic reaction is easily possible and not something that people should take lightly.

We'll have to agree to disagree about "pre-progamming" for allergies. My mom suffers terrbily from allergies - some so severe that a mild exposure to certain allergens will kill her. My dad suffers from minimal allergies. I suffer from many of the same allergies that cause so much trouble for my mom and have done so since I was a child.

Was I "pre-programmed" from them? Maybe, maybe not but it sure seems likely.

Robert
Date: February 24, 2015 11:35AM
I am looking forward to read some articles written by Robert in the New England Journal of Medicine smiling smiley
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 24, 2015 11:43AM
Perhaps the prevalence of allergies today is due to artificial selection.
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 24, 2015 02:36PM
Acer

Kinda seems that way. If I had a kid now, I'd probably take it out and roll it in the dirt every day from, say, 3 months on. (Fortunately, my kids pretty much did this on their own - and the middle daughter was known to eat dirt out of potted plants. I don't know if I'd get away doing this to grandkids, tho- might end up on the local news)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 02:37PM by pdq.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018