advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Considering cutting the cord at 1 of my 2 homes - best strategy?
Posted by: stephen
Date: March 08, 2015 10:17AM
I work in Birmingham but live in Atlanta on weekends.

I'm wondering if a MoHu Leaf 50 (on sale for $39.99 as Amazon's deal of the day) combined with a Slingbox is a good solution for me.

Let me sum up my homes/service and tell me what sounds best.

Birmingham: Old loft with cable (Bright House) for both CATV and 60 mbps Internet ($140).
Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV, Samsung smart TV with apps.

Atlanta: High-rise building with shared DirecTV ($90- WAIT, it just went up to $108!!! They're charging me $35 rental for 1 DVR) and 70 mbps Fiber internet ($39, discounted from $59 as a DirecTV user).
DirecTV includes Choice package with HBO.
Apple TV, DirecTV DVR, 55" dumb TV (no apps)

Priorities: CNN, Mad Men, Broadcast TV, MSNBC, occasional live events like Oscars and Super Bowl.

FWIW, I can get faster fiber in Atlanta if I need it. 100 mbps for $79, gigabit for $139.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Considering cutting the cord at 1 of my 2 homes - best strategy?
Date: March 08, 2015 10:22AM
Someone else suggested this Tivo Roamio OTA DVR.

[www.tivo.com]
Date: March 08, 2015 10:23AM
My thought is to possibly maintain a robust cable connection at one location and Sling it to another?
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 08, 2015 10:23AM
when do you watch TV, during the week or in weekend?
Date: March 08, 2015 10:39AM
Honestly, I watch more on the weekend.

During the week I'm working like crazy and mostly catch local AM news.

That would indicate BHM as the place for over the air signal. HOWEVER, my ATL TV is right next to the window on a 12th floor, and my BHM TV is in the middle of the room in a thick brick building.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: March 08, 2015 11:15AM
See where you can get re reception with rabbit ears. Then fairly basic internet. Apple TV Neflix
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: March 08, 2015 01:55PM
Your situation is similar to mine. Except I'm 400 miles apart! In middle now, traveling back to one place. I cut cable TV at both my places, use homemade antenna for both. I do have Apple TV at one though. MUST have internet at both! I think you'll be really good in your Atlanta place with antenna.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: March 08, 2015 03:15PM
You can install Dish or Direct TV in one home, then go buy a dish for the second home and move the receivers to the other home. So if you have 3 TVs at one home and 2 at the other, just sign up for 5 TVs at one home and move the receivers. They don;t know where the receivers actually are
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 08, 2015 04:26PM
SimpleTV plus OTA antenna in Atlanta, then a Roku plus internet at both places (streaming SimpleTV to Birmingham).

The SImpleTV lets you have DVR functions plus streaming.

You can add a LOT of internet content - Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Prime, SlingTV (not to be confused with a Slingbox) plus internet - for far less than the $160/month you are paying at one site for internet plus cable. Keep in mind, you can use a single streaming account at either place.

This just depends on whether you are willing to dump cable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2015 04:27PM by sekker.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 08, 2015 07:01PM
stephen

[www.tivo.com]

I believe you need the next level TiVo to use it like a Slingbox. Either the Roamio Plus or Pro unless you buy the Stream. And as far as I know it will only work with an iOS device which means you would need to get whatever else you need to go from an iPad to your TV. Hopefully someone will provide more information.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 09, 2015 08:25AM
hey, he can buy my Stream.
Posted by: pinion
Date: March 09, 2015 09:13AM
Speedy
stephen

[www.tivo.com]

I believe you need the next level TiVo to use it like a Slingbox. Either the Roamio Plus or Pro unless you buy the Stream. And as far as I know it will only work with an iOS device which means you would need to get whatever else you need to go from an iPad to your TV. Hopefully someone will provide more information.

This is correct. The Tivo Romio OTA doesn't have stream built in. And the boxes that do are cable only and won't take an antenna.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018