advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Car mount for iPhone followup
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 15, 2015 01:57PM
I recently posted that I was looking for a car mount for my iPhone. I received many good suggestions including one from Pam called the Koomus. It mounts to the CD slot in my car. Initially I though it went into the CD slot but it really just wedges itself into the slot opening. I was worried about it sticking out from the dash but that turned out to be a good thing as it retains access to the buttons on the stereo. Initially it was a little wobbly but after adding the included spacer it is now quite firm. I can use the touch screen with minimal movement. So far I really like it.

[www.amazon.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Car mount for iPhone followup
Posted by: hal
Date: March 15, 2015 02:05PM
That looks nice! But I see it blocks access to your hazard light - it would block mine too. That bothers me a bit. More than once, I think I was spared problems because I'm REALLY quick to hit the hazard light if traffic comes to a sudden stop.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 15, 2015 02:05PM
If anyone is interested in a cheap alternative that works with the iP6+, here's what I just recently got: [www.ebay.com]

The only thing I don't like about it is that I wish the flexible arm were longer, but on the other hand, a longer arm might make it much less stable with something big like an iP6+. And the price is definitely right...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 15, 2015 03:54PM
I have the small non flex arm version of that mount. Pretty sturdy mounted to the wind shield in wife's car. I am considering either a glued disc to the dash or a cup holder with flex neck mount. My phone takes up the cup holder In my car as it is.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: March 15, 2015 05:37PM
So my car (2002 Buick Rendezvous) has a 6 disc changer, and you put a single disc at a time into the slot, and it then stores them somewhere. You can't insert a disc until you press the "Load" button, and after about a second and a half, it let's you insert the disc part way, and it then sucks it in the rest of the way.

Do you think I could use the above-referenced "Koomus" CD mount in my car?

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 15, 2015 05:46PM
The UnDoug my cd player works the same way as you described. I no longer use my cd player so I had no concerns. I can tell you that this bracket comes off super easy. There is a small lever underneath that makes the mount loose or tight. So it is simply a matter of throwing the lever and pulling the mount away.
Posted by: SparkyNimrod
Date: March 15, 2015 06:50PM
I got this variant for REALLY quick and easy mounting/dismounting.
[www.mountek.com]
[www.amazon.com]

Same exact CD-slot idea, but you put one of the provided steel plates inside your phone case (or on your phone) so it attaches magnetically. Probably wouldn't hold on during serious off-roading (or an accident), but works great for normal driving.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015