advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Prosecutors: Evidence Germanwings co-pilot hid illness
Posted by: DP
Date: March 27, 2015 08:34AM
Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz appears to have hidden evidence of an illness from his employers, including having been excused by a doctor from work the day he crashed a passenger plane into a mountain, prosecutors said Friday.

Also, and this may have been posted already, but on the news this morning it was reported that European airlines are now going to adopt the rule that requires two in the cockpit at all times, which has been the rule for U.S. airlines.

[news.yahoo.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Prosecutors: Evidence Germanwings co-pilot hid illness
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 27, 2015 09:57AM
According to reliable sources at the Facebook News Agency, he was also a muslim convert.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 27, 2015 10:19AM
Lufthansa does not have standard psychological testing for pilots once they are hired,

they might consider a change there as well.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 27, 2015 10:19AM
I believe it was 'investigators' not 'prosecutors' but the line is admittedly getting muddied.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 27, 2015 10:31AM
ztirffritz
I believe it was 'investigators' not 'prosecutors' but the line is admittedly getting muddied.

I've been reading the term "prosecutors" in the stories about this incident a lot... I was chalking it up to imperfect translation between the German terms and English. Or they just use a different set of terms entirely for transportation investigations.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 27, 2015 10:34AM
ztirffritz

It may very well have been "prosecutors". In a number of European countries investigations are led by prosecutors, and they would be the ones making statements.
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 27, 2015 10:57AM
I think when they determine that it was a crime rather than an accident, the agency in charge changes and it's no longer primarily a transportation investigation.

Paul F.
ztirffritz

I've been reading the term "prosecutors" in the stories about this incident a lot... I was chalking it up to imperfect translation between the German terms and English. Or they just use a different set of terms entirely for transportation investigations.
Date: March 27, 2015 11:04AM
That I can understand, but "prosecutors" was used in stories right from day one.

GGD
I think when they determine that it was a crime rather than an accident, the agency in charge changes and it's no longer primarily a transportation investigation.

Paul F.
ztirffritz

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 27, 2015 11:10AM
It sounds like semantics to me. Aren't all official investigations like this handled by the state, which will use any evidence it collects to prosecute someone if something is found to be a criminal act?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 27, 2015 11:51AM
Kraniac
reliable sources at the Facebook News Agency

Now THAT is an oxymoron !
Date: March 27, 2015 11:54AM
Sorta depends...
Are you trying to find a CAUSE, or place BLAME?
That may be a semantic issue too, but an important one.

freeradical
It sounds like semantics to me. Aren't all official investigations like this handled by the state, which will use any evidence it collects to prosecute someone if something is found to be a criminal act?

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 27, 2015 12:29PM
FWIW... we're talking about the French legal system here...

The Prosecutor supervises the investigatory process. Hence is the 'point person' to talk about the case as it unfolds. In the US we are used to the police officials holding press conferences, in France, it's the Prosecutor who manages things.

(PDF)
[www.justice.gouv.fr]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 27, 2015 12:55PM
FWIW... we're talking about the French legal system here...

That's worth a lot.

The origin has to be considered to actually understand what's happening.

Applying our own perspective to another country's language is a common mistake.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: March 27, 2015 12:58PM
The French are a civil law country, where the magistrates, judges and prosecutors go to the same training school. The law is based on the napoleonic code, an inquisitional system, not the history of precedent and the adversarial system found in the US and British courts and the courts of many of the former British colonies.

That is why there in the US, sometimes you hear that is the law in 49 states, because Louisiana still has vestiges of the Napoleonic Code in their state law.
Posted by: max
Date: March 27, 2015 01:10PM
MarkD
The French are a civil law country, where the magistrates, judges and prosecutors go to the same training school. The law is based on the napoleonic code, an inquisitional system, not the history of precedent and the adversarial system found in the US and British courts and the courts of many of the former British colonies.

That is why there in the US, sometimes you hear that is the law in 49 states, because Louisiana still has vestiges of the Napoleonic Code in their state law.
This.

A magistrate is the usual investigative official in any inquiry....
Date: March 27, 2015 01:15PM
So really, what you're saying is, nobody expects the inquisition?
*cough*.. sorry...
Couldn't resist.

MarkD

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018