advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Retiring!
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 01, 2015 05:26AM
Today is my last day of work. After 34 years and 7 months I am retiring from NASA. Come Monday all I have planned is to not set my alarm for 5am and go to the gym grinning smiley I am so looking forward to many, many years doing whatever I want!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Retiring!
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: May 01, 2015 05:55AM
Wow! Congratulations Pam! Enjoy it
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 01, 2015 05:57AM
how does one decide to retire? why not work 5 more months to make it a full 35 years? Congratulations!

BTW: I hope you are not one of those responsible for using English units to send comments to that probe that took input in Metric system, or for screwing up the Hubble mirror smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 05:58AM by space-time.
Posted by: DP
Date: May 01, 2015 06:08AM
Well done! Congrats on your career.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 01, 2015 06:13AM
Congratulations and, welcome to the club! Retired life is GREAT!

I retired back in 2011. I don't miss work at all. Last year, I "graduated" to a 39', Super C Class diesel motorhome (from a 17' travel trailer). I plan on RVing across America and seeing as much as I can. I'm in TN now attending my third RV rally since early April. Once I get my home sold, I'll be a Full Time RVer; at least for the next several years.

What have you wanted to do but, for whatever reason you have not done? Now start making plans (even if that's just to relax)! I wish you a long and happy retirement! hamster dance
Date: May 01, 2015 06:32AM
space-time
how does one decide to retire? why not work 5 more months to make it a full 35 years? Congratulations!

BTW: I hope you are not one of those responsible for using English units to send comments to that probe that took input in Metric system, or for screwing up the Hubble mirror smiling smiley

A real pain in the butt person accelerated my plans. It wasn't worth effectively $60 a month to wait until October.

No, I'm on the aero side of the house. Spent most of my career as a wind tunnel test engineer. We did test launch and other space vehicles though.
Posted by: Frank
Date: May 01, 2015 06:34AM
When I used to attend MacWorld events long, long ago I put "Retirement Evangelist" on my badge for my occupation. That's how I feel about it.
I retired early and moved to Kauai.
Congratulations, Pam!!
Follow your bliss.
Date: May 01, 2015 06:36AM
testcase
Congratulations and, welcome to the club! Retired life is GREAT!

I retired back in 2011. I don't miss work at all. Last year, I "graduated" to a 39', Super C Class diesel motorhome (from a 17' travel trailer). I plan on RVing across America and seeing as much as I can. I'm in TN now attending my third RV rally since early April. Once I get my home sold, I'll be a Full Time RVer; at least for the next several years.

What have you wanted to do but, for whatever reason you have not done? Now start making plans (even if that's just to relax)! I wish you a long and happy retirement! hamster dance

I haven't met anyone yet who said retirement sucked smiling smiley The RV life sounds great! It might be something for me further down the road. I understand the camaraderie is very good.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 01, 2015 06:39AM
Congrats! My older sister just announced she has the finances to retire. Very exciting!

Besides sleeping in, what are you going to do now?
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: May 01, 2015 06:51AM
sekker
Congrats! My older sister just announced she has the finances to retire. Very exciting!

Besides sleeping in, what are you going to do now?

Hey... don't rush her. She is in no hurry to get there.

Enjoy your life!

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: May 01, 2015 07:10AM
Congratulations! Job well done. I say give the RV lifestyle a try. We don't live full time in one, not retired yet, but it is appealing!

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: May 01, 2015 07:14AM
Congratulations, Pam — time to celebrate a new phase of your life! smileys with beer Best wishes for a long, happy and productive retirement.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 01, 2015 07:25AM
Happy Retirement L E A D E R!

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 01, 2015 07:25AM
Congratulations ! Yet another person I want to be like when I grow up.... Retired !
Posted by: blooz
Date: May 01, 2015 07:30AM
Congratulations! Enjoy and make sure to keep being interested and active in something.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: pinion
Date: May 01, 2015 07:31AM
Congrats! I've been looking forward to retirement since I was 18! You'd think I'd be saving.....

---"Yer all idiots." elmo3
[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: May 01, 2015 07:37AM
You'll have a blast !

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: May 01, 2015 08:24AM
As for my plans... I got involved in K9 Search and Rescue about 1.5 years ago and will continue that. My dog had bilateral knee surgery (TPLO) last year so she lost a year. I also changed groups. But Jan 1she was cleared, we're with a new and better group, and she should be close to operational about a year from now (live find). In the meantime I respond to searches without her. We train every weekend, all weather, and every other Wed evening. It's all off trail in the woods, sometimes with some pretty good drainages so I get a good physical workout. We have to be able to navigate via map and compass only, which combined with other skills we need to have make for an intellectual workout.

Other than that, more gym time for me which has been hard to come by lately and more exercise time for my high energy dog. Plus I have lots of neglected home projects. As far as I can tell, I still won't have time to do everything I want.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 01, 2015 08:28AM
Yay! Congratulations! It's a blast! Every day is Saturday!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 08:28AM by lost in space.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 01, 2015 08:30AM
Congratulations! Sounds like you had a great job, and are looking at a wonderful life as a non-employee.

Looking forward to retirement more and more myself, although it will be a gradual process for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 08:44AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 01, 2015 08:30AM
Approximately 208 more work days for me, but who's counting? ;)

33 years in the classroom is enough. I am looking forward to second careers that involve more time in the outdoors.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: May 01, 2015 08:53AM
Pam
As for my plans... I got involved in K9 Search and Rescue about 1.5 years ago and will continue that. My dog had bilateral knee surgery (TPLO) last year so she lost a year. I also changed groups. But Jan 1she was cleared, we're with a new and better group, and she should be close to operational about a year from now (live find). In the meantime I respond to searches without her. We train every weekend, all weather, and every other Wed evening. It's all off trail in the woods, sometimes with some pretty good drainages so I get a good physical workout. We have to be able to navigate via map and compass only, which combined with other skills we need to have make for an intellectual workout.

Other than that, more gym time for me which has been hard to come by lately and more exercise time for my high energy dog. Plus I have lots of neglected home projects. As far as I can tell, I still won't have time to do everything I want.

Now, that is THE ticket! My chocolate lab mix is my 70 pound comfort hound, helps me a lot with my pain, and bad days.

Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: raz
Date: May 01, 2015 08:57AM
Well done, Pam.

I'll join you in 8 years and 10 months.

tick tick tick

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 01, 2015 08:59AM
Pam
It wasn't worth effectively $60 a month to wait until October.

When you're eating Top-Ramen 30 years from now for breakfast, lunch and dinner, you might regret that decision. LOL

Gotta love a Defined Benefit Plan, though! (especially if it has COLAs built in.) It sure adds peace of mind to a retirement decision.
Posted by: jesse
Date: May 01, 2015 09:14AM
Nice smiling smiley Congratulations!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 01, 2015 09:15AM
Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoy your retirement immensely! I took the plunge back in '07 and haven't regretted the decision one bit. It's so nice not having to answer to anyone but yourself.

Just give yourself some time to decompress, as it is a big routine change in your life.

Also, not having to get up so early in the morning was one giant plus for me.

ENJOY!! thumbs up thumbs up

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 01, 2015 09:33AM
My dad retired at 54, he told me that retirement doesn't mean you stop working - just that you don't HAVE to work.

I remembered that when took early retirement it in 2009, but my wife needed 13 years to get to her package. I grew bored in just a few months and decided to work in education. I'm loving it, but also know I can quit whenever.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: max
Date: May 01, 2015 09:34AM
Geezers....

grinning smiley
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 01, 2015 09:39AM
Wow Pam. That's cool. Enjoy your life.
Date: May 01, 2015 09:40AM
bfd
Pam
It wasn't worth effectively $60 a month to wait until October.

When you're eating Top-Ramen 30 years from now for breakfast, lunch and dinner, you might regret that decision. LOL

Gotta love a Defined Benefit Plan, though! (especially if it has COLAs built in.) It sure adds peace of mind to a retirement decision.

Don't wish that on me!! smiling smiley

I haven't lived frugally but I put money aside in a retirement plan and made some good investments. I'm not solely dependent on the old CSRS retirement plan. Plus I will get a good boost in net income when my daughter moves out and becomes responsible for her own car payments, car insurance, and health insurance. I do have a couple of years left on house payments, which in the interim helps from a tax standpoint. But there will be another net increase when that is off the books.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 01, 2015 09:43AM
Happy Happy Retirement Joy Joy.

Edit: it was the closest wind tunnel cake I could find.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 09:44AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Date: May 01, 2015 09:48AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Happy Happy Retirement Joy Joy.

Edit: it was the closest wind tunnel cake I could find.

That's great! Australia's version of NASA!
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 01, 2015 10:06AM
Congrats Pam!
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: May 01, 2015 10:34AM
Congratulations!
Posted by: BCam
Date: May 01, 2015 10:48AM
Pam - congrats on entering a new phase of your journey.
Also - thanks for your service to the country and science working for NASA.
Looking back to when you started working there, shuttle Enterprise might not have even broken free of its 747 transporter to glide/fly on its own!
Posted by: kap
Date: May 01, 2015 10:56AM
Pam

CONGRATS!!! Wife and I still have a way to go before retirement but I do understand about being busier when one is not working.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 01, 2015 10:56AM
"I understand the camaraderie is very good."

That's a HUGE understatement! boink smiley

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 01, 2015 11:00AM
I am so looking forward to many, many years doing whatever I want!

Absolutely!

It's a great place to be.

You may find that you have less time then ever with all the possibilities now open.

But the worst day of retirement beats the best day of work, almost always.

You've still got a lot on your plate to keep you busy, if need be. But when somebody asks you "What are you going to do now?" tell 'em "Nothing. Not a damn thing."

It drives people crazy.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: LyleH
Date: May 01, 2015 11:01AM
Congratulations Pam !!!!!

My son officially retires from Intel today. He has a house in Florida (paid for) and will be moving there permanently in October. He's young enough that he will get a job in Florida for a few years - but has LOTS of outdoor activities planned. LyleH
Oh, and...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 01, 2015 11:01AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 01, 2015 11:06AM
That's GREAT! Congrats and enjoy your new freedom!

JoeM
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 01, 2015 11:07AM
Pam
. . . A real pain in the butt person accelerated my plans. It wasn't worth effectively $60 a month to wait until October. . .

Sounds a lot like my (now retired) wife's situation this year. You made the right choice.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: May 01, 2015 11:08AM
Congratulations Pam! I should probably already know this, but what do you ....erm....DID you do at NASA?

Posted by: MikeF
Date: May 01, 2015 11:11AM
Congratulations! Enjoy!

I retired about a year ago after being forced out (laid-off). I never realized that doing "nothing" would consume so much of my time...
Posted by: GeneL
Date: May 01, 2015 11:55AM
Congratulations, Pam!

Stop by for a margarita. smileys with beer

gl @ Dana Point, CA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 11:58AM by GeneL.
Date: May 01, 2015 12:27PM
Uncle Wig
Congratulations Pam! I should probably already know this, but what do you ....erm....DID you do at NASA?

Spent most of my career as a wind tunnel test engineer.
Date: May 01, 2015 12:30PM
Thanks all! Especially to those who have already retired for the good stories! To those who are waiting for their time, I feel ya. I was ready long before now.
Date: May 01, 2015 12:46PM
A friend in my organization retired a few years ago, and he came back for a dinner meeting. When we all did self introductions, he said, "I'm John Doe, retired, and I do as little as I can". Love it!

Posted by: dmann
Date: May 01, 2015 12:51PM
How wonderful! Congratulations!!!!!

DM
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 01, 2015 01:08PM
Congrats, Pam!

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015