advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
selling a car
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 07, 2015 12:25PM
So I've sold a couple cars many many years ago and cannot remember what I need to do. I've got a buyer for my truck and I'm not sure what I need to do to complete the transaction. We've decided on price. I've got the title. Do i take cash? A bank check? Do i sign the title over? Just not sure of the exact steps involved.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 07, 2015 12:31PM
Cash... at the teller window for your bank... deposit immediately, so the onus is then on the bank to detect counterfeit notes.

Then sign the title over, you both sign a receipt (two copies), and you go your separate ways.

That's what I'd do, anyway.

Note: any smog-checks your state requires may complicate things a bit.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: selling a car
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 07, 2015 12:32PM
Depends entirely on your state's processes. Check your local friendly DMV web site.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 07, 2015 12:36PM
Depends on the state...in California:
1) In California, the seller is responsible for getting a smog certificate that is dated less than 90 days before the sale.
2) Accept cash or accompany the buyer to their bank
3) Sign over title and odometer mileage statement
4) Submit a release of liability form to DMV immediately. You can print them out online and mail them in.
5) Generally speaking, you can also provide some sort of bill of sale. While that is not required for the new owner to register the car, it's a place to document the sales price and terms such as "as-is". Bills of sale for vehicles are also widely available online.

Keep copies of everything....

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: May 07, 2015 12:40PM
Yeah. Not in California thankfully. Good ol' North Carolina.

I like the going to the bank though and getting the money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2015 12:40PM by bazookaman.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 07, 2015 02:25PM
I take cash but am not concerned about counterfeiting because I verify transfer and ID at the DMV. I state in my Craigslist ad that we must go to the DMV office (which is less than four mostly-country miles away) to complete the transaction to make certain the vehicle is transferred because if the transfer does not take place I am responsible should the vehicle be in an accident. Some people will wait to transfer as long as possible to avoid the excise (sales) tax. I would also be responsible for any fines due to failure to get license plates when next due. We exchange cash at the DMV.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 07, 2015 02:52PM
Speedy
I take cash but am not concerned about counterfeiting because I verify transfer and ID at the DMV. I state in my Craigslist ad that we must go to the DMV office (which is less than four mostly-country miles away) to complete the transaction to make certain the vehicle is transferred because if the transfer does not take place I am responsible should the vehicle be in an accident. Some people will wait to transfer as long as possible to avoid the excise (sales) tax. I would also be responsible for any fines due to failure to get license plates when next due. We exchange cash at the DMV.

In CA the transfer is deemed complete when the transfer paperwork has been completed by the seller and filed with the DMV.

It is what it is.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 07, 2015 03:17PM
I don't like to carry around that much cash. Therefore, if selling a vehicle I ask for a cashier's check that I receive from the teller at the buyer's bank. I won't take a cashier's check that is simply handed to me by the buyer because those are so often counterfeited.

As far as DMV paperwork, that is 100% dependent on your state's rules. Just go to the DMV website and it'll tell you what to do.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: thermarest
Date: May 07, 2015 06:13PM
I just sold one. I have an account at the same bank as buyer so we didn't even need the cashier check. Went to teller window, transfer funds, sign title, done.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: May 07, 2015 07:54PM
I sold my old van last summer. The buyer paid me in $100 bills; it never occurred to me to suspect counterfeit. If it were a lot of money, I'd have taken a bank check. I had him sign two copies of an "As Is" bill of sale (with an indemnity clause, as the frame was dangerously rusted), signed over the title, and he drove it off.

In Massachusetts you have to turn in the plates, so I kept them and took them to my insurance agency the next day. The buyer has to pay sales tax when he registers the vehicle; if there's no bill of sale, the Registry charges blue-book value.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: jh
Date: May 07, 2015 08:02PM
bazookaman

Quick Google search:
Looks like you or the buyer has several things to do to complete the sale.

North Carolina Auto Sales Paperwork
Posted by: MarkD
Date: May 07, 2015 09:01PM
In Texas you have to go to the Tax Assessor to complete the transaction so the State can complete the tax. However, the state also allows you to send in a form saying you sold the car to xxxx. Pretty important with all the red light cameras where they send the car to who has the car registered with the state.

Bill of sales are very simple--think I found one at state farm. don't pay for something online.
Date: May 08, 2015 07:37AM
jh
bazookaman

Quick Google search:
Looks like you or the buyer has several things to do to complete the sale.

North Carolina Auto Sales Paperwork

Yeah. I found that too. Looks like it's all on the buyer for the most part. Which is AOK with me.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018