advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ideas Please ! Every TDK 16x DVD-R I burn on my Pioneer DVR108 Fails. Help ?
Posted by: ItsMeAlison
Date: October 21, 2006 12:23PM
Hi Guys -

I just finally got around to opening up a new spindle of 100 TDK 16x DVD-Rs that I got from Costco with the buy one get one free deal from a month or two ago.
I had been using TDK 12x DVD-Rs with no problems ever. Burned through 2 spindles of 100 over the last year. They worked great. But I just ran out of them and switched to the new 16x spindles and now every one of them fails.
I have tried both DragonBurn and Toast 6, both apps updated to the current revs.
The firmware in my Pioneer is current too and no, I haven't tried any unsupported Pioneer firmware versions.
I never burn at full speed either, just to be safe. i usually burn at 8x or 4x because i don't really ever require quick burn.

Everything points to these DVD-Rs being bad, but why ? THey're brand new and name brand.
The Pioneer can burn at 16x. These discs are recognized in both Toast and DragonBurn as being 16x.
Am I missing something ? Has anyone else been having problem with these discs from Costco ?
I'm really peeved about this. I dont want to have to bring them back and deal with that, but so far, the first 10 discs have failed. Not one good burn.

Please give me some advice/help/ideas.

Thanks guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2006 12:25PM by ItsMeAlison.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ideas Please ! Every TDK 16x DVD-R I burn on my Pioneer DVR108 Fails. Help ?
Posted by: Mr645
Date: October 21, 2006 01:16PM
I have had a few fail at slower speeds, but at 16x no problems. I do use Pioneer 110 and 111 drives however. Try one at 16x
Re: Ideas Please ! Every TDK 16x DVD-R I burn on my Pioneer DVR108 Fails. Help ?
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: October 21, 2006 01:20PM
If you don't already have it, download DVD MediaInspector [homepage.mac.com]

This little tool will give you info on who really produced the TDK discs. Here's [translate.google.com] the author's Japanese site translated by Google.

Mixed reviews of TDK 16X discs @ Amazon. [www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2006 01:48PM by Panopticon.
Posted by: papercup
Date: October 21, 2006 02:32PM
Alison, read my post here: [forums.macresource.com]

I ended up getting a new drive, although I think the media was iffy, and my 109 didn't like it. The same Costco media works fine with my new Pioneer 111.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: October 21, 2006 07:31PM
I read it and ordered some just now. I bought this silly DVD TV recorder the other day from Geeks and plan on using it some day to record as well as viewing.

Staunton, Virginia
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 192
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018