advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone know leatherworker, or are one?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 28, 2015 12:13PM
So... I've already called the ONLY local leather shop I know of at the moment.. their delivery time is too long.

Let me back up..

I have a couple of coworkers (bright young daycare assistants), and they are both leaving at the end of school (June 11). Both are, or want to, go traveling...

So just this morning, I thought of getting them a couple leather passport covers with their names stamped on them.
Pretty simple, right?

Well, Etsy has loads of them for $60 each, and month or more lead time, and though I like both these young college ladies (and for once, I say that without a dirty leer... super nice young ladies), but maybe not $120 worth, and they'll be gone before that.

I know this isn't a complicated project, and could make it myself if I had the leather and my tools weren't in storage...
Does anyone here know a leatherworker who could knock these out quick for a reasonable price? Not looking for "cheap", but it's a piece of leather with a couple flaps stitched to it, and a couple first names stamped, so I don't expect $50 either.

This is kind of a long shot at this point (I should have started this weeks ago.. but like I said, only just thought of it).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone know leatherworker, or are one?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 28, 2015 12:19PM
Step 1- Buy generic leather passport covers at a travel shop.
Step 2 - Buy a set of letter stamps (Harbor freight)
Step 3- Draw a line on the covers, put a piece of hardboard under the front face, stamp the name.
DONE.
Posted by: billb
Date: May 28, 2015 12:23PM
Show them how much you care. A nice hard shell condom compact might be much more practical as a going away present .

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Re: Anyone know leatherworker....?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 28, 2015 12:25PM
wasn't he hanging down by the docks.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 28, 2015 12:30PM
cbelt3
Step 1- Buy generic leather passport covers at a travel shop.
Step 2 - Buy a set of letter stamps (Harbor freight)
Step 3- Draw a line on the covers, put a piece of hardboard under the front face, stamp the name.
DONE.

First: Gotta find a "travel shop" here locally that has them first! At least, one that doesn't value them as highly as unicorn hide...

Second; local harbor freight doesn't carry those... I looked last year for another project.

Third; Yup.. that's the way I'd do it! grinning smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 28, 2015 12:33PM
billb
Show them how much you care. A nice hard shell condom compact might be much more practical as a going away present .

They're not that kind of friends...
Plus, one of them would start bleeding from the face she'd get so red-faced embarassed. I wouldn't do that to her :-)

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: MikeF
Date: May 28, 2015 01:39PM
Would a craft store have letter punches? Leather at fabric store? What about a custom foldable leather item at a shoe repair? Car upholstery place?

Looking online, Lowes and Home Depot have letter punches (none in-store close to me, however, might be close to you). And looking online for leather passport holder/case shows quite a few stores have them; some local stores...
Date: May 28, 2015 01:52PM
For an area with an abundance of local artists, artisans, and craftsmen, we are pathetically short of "craft stores"... we have a Michaels, which last time I went in there, didn't have WHITE GLUE... (yes, really... A craft store that doesn't carry GLUE...).

But there is a custom leather shop and supply about 20 miles south of me that I can try (just remember they were there a while ago... ).

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: digby
Date: May 28, 2015 02:28PM
What about a shoe repair place?

Seriously, I've had simple leather goods made at my local mom-'n'-pop shop. But the covers may end up heavy (think shoe leather, of course). I lucked out because I wanted really thin leather, and they just happened to have some "glove leather" in stock.

Also check Etsy for "Moleskine Covers". A lot of artsy types make those. The "small" size is only a 1/4" taller than a passport, so that should fit passports as well.

I needed... okay, WANTED, a leather cover that'd fit a 3.5x5.5" paper cover Moleskine ("cahier"). I found a Graphic Design student at a local tech college who sewed, so went with a fabric cover instead. Turned out "cuter" than the leather, with an elastic closure and a pen holder.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 28, 2015 03:42PM
Shoe repair shop?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 28, 2015 03:53PM
Speedy
Shoe repair shop?

We have one of those in town down the street from where I work. I've been meaning to stop in and chat with the owner to find out what exactly it is that he does/can fix.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 28, 2015 07:33PM
I know a woman who works in leather...... devil smiley
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 28, 2015 07:54PM
Paul,

Speedy beat me to recommending a shoe repair shop. You'll also want to see if a shop that repairs women's handbags can do the job for you. The thing is I wouldn't expect any of these places to do a job like that for less than $30 to $40.

Robert
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 28, 2015 08:02PM
billb

billb... the epitome of class.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 28, 2015 08:04PM
I could refer you to my leatherworker rogue in WoW... smiley-signs003

Paul F.
and though I like both these young college ladies (and for once, I say that without a dirty leer...

Uh oh... an indisputible sign that you're getting older old...

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2015 08:06PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Re: The science of why stepping on Legos makes you want to die
Date: May 28, 2015 08:29PM
I am not! But these ladies aren't old enough to legally drink yet... Maybe in a couple years, I'll perv after them...

N-OS X-tasy!
I could refer you to my leatherworker rogue in WoW... smiley-signs003

Paul F.
and though I like both these young college ladies (and for once, I say that without a dirty leer...

Uh oh... an indisputible sign that you're getting older old...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: May 29, 2015 05:39AM
Moore and Giles sells leather passport covers and you can have them monogrammed.
Quality leather. Excellent company. Give them a call to see what they can do for you. Tell them Caryl sent you. ;)

[www.mooreandgiles.com]

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 29, 2015 11:54AM
Not a big fan of passport covers. They add bulk. And many times you are requested to take the passport out of the cover anyway. With a jacket, carry-on, backpack, tickets, paperwork in hand. Taking the passport out of the cover is one more thing to annoy while on the line.

A zippered passport/ticket/ID folio type thingy is much more useful albeit less romantic.

Forget the whole thing. Would you even be thinking of this if it was two dudes?
Date: May 29, 2015 12:51PM
3d
Forget the whole thing. Would you even be thinking of this if it was two dudes?

As a matter of fact, if I'd had a school years worth of pleasant discussions at the end of my work day with two equally intelligent, interesting, young gentlemen, yes, I would.

Oh, and @#$%& you...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: TLB
Date: May 29, 2015 01:36PM
Cloth one popped up on today's Living Social feed...

Monogrammed Passport holder
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 150
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018