advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone ever have a license plate restored?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 28, 2015 01:29PM
I've got an old plate that I had on the front of my truck. It's gotten kind of ratty and I'd like to get it restored. I googled it and found quite a few places that will do it. So I figured I'd ask here also to see if there are any recommendations.

Posted by: GGD
Date: May 28, 2015 01:59PM
I'm not sure what your goal is, is this a truck that you drive and have the plates become illegible? Or are this more historic plates that you want to restore?

In CA you can get plates replaced by the DMV for $20, but they issue a new set with new number unless they were personalized plates. I just went through this for a car that was involved in a front end accident that scraped half the letters off the plate and bent it up quite a bit.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone ever have a license plate restored?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 28, 2015 03:09PM
Sorry. No. It's just a plate I've used in the front with the year of my birth on it. NC only requires a rear plate so I used this one in the front. Since I sold my truck I don't plan on using it for my car and I just wanted to restore it.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 28, 2015 03:25PM
Good luck with you restoration. You might have the best outcome by doing it yourself.

My grandfather nailed all his old plates to the inside wall of the milking parlour. Some were from the teens. Sadly, when they demolished the parlour some 30 odd years ago the plates also went into the demolition burn pile. I remember fifty years ago enjoying his stories about the various vehicles that the plates were on and what they meant to his life. He died at age 96 in 1988.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 28, 2015 05:46PM
Very interested to find out what you find. On classic cars in Washington, you can have a modern plate labeled classic, with a number on it, or you can use the correct vintage plate from when your car/truck was new. I have the original plate from my '71 GSX. I'd like to use it instead of the modern numbered one, but it must pass whatever their standards are for visability. Doubt mine does now.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 29, 2015 08:42AM
yes, did a lot of them while I was serving 6-10........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 280
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018