Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What? We missed "National Donut Day"
Posted by: steve...
Date: June 06, 2015 02:35AM
Everything you need to know about donuts and National Donut Day (Friday): CNN

It wasn't until 1847 that the holed-out doughnut we know and love today appeared. Hanson Gregory, 16 at the time, claimed credit. Sick of doughnuts with a raw center, he used a pepper pot to punch out holes to help his doughnuts cook more evenly.

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What? We missed "National Donut Day"
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 06, 2015 03:19AM
What do you mean 'we'. white man?

I paid my respects.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 06, 2015 04:14AM
I too worshiped the holey roller.

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 06, 2015 04:25AM
I blame those meddling MR Forum Fit Club people and their pesky dog. smiley-music039

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2015 04:26AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: Spock
Date: June 06, 2015 09:04AM
RAMd®d

I paid my respects.

Me 2.

Yes, not 1 but 2.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 06, 2015 09:11AM
I was aware, but there 'aint a donut shop within 20 miles of my house. Besides, I hear they're not good for you. devil smiley

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 06, 2015 11:14AM
I had a craving for doughnuts yesterday and didn't know it was NDD until the first place I stopped to buy them was completely sold out. Fortunately, there's more than one place to buy doughnuts.

P.S.: Rick, don't you have convenience stores, gas stations and grocery stores nearby that sell doughnuts?

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 06, 2015 12:09PM
AllGold
I had a craving for doughnuts yesterday and didn't know it was NDD until the first place I stopped to buy them was completely sold out. Fortunately, there's more than one place to buy doughnuts.

P.S.: Rick, don't you have convenience stores, gas stations and grocery stores nearby that sell doughnuts?

Al, yeah, we have those stores around town, but I've never noticed any selling fresh doughnuts - just those horrible boxed varieties. Our grocery store with fresh baked goods burned to the ground a few years back, and the only real grocery store left is just a convenience store with gas pumps. Expensive, but they do have a meat counter/deli with a butcher, plus fresh produce.

I was chatting with a manager there a few years ago about how they should incorporate a bakery with their deli counter and I almost got laughed at!

Humph! *I* thought it was a good idea!

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: rz
Date: June 06, 2015 02:21PM
I forgot until my wife told me last night that there was a huge line waiting to turn into Krispy Krap last night. They could have free donut day there every day of the year and I doubt I'd bother to go. I tried their donuts once, even getting one hot off the machine. Bleck. Too sickeningly sweet and sticky. The only other time I had one was at a meeting where someone got a couple dozen and I was starving so I ate one. Next time, I think I would just wait until lunch...
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 06, 2015 03:35PM
pRICE cUBE
I blame those meddling MR Forum Fit Club people and their pesky dog. smiley-music039

Guilty as charged! No donuts in my household.

This was easier since my wife gets sick eating a Krispy Kream.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 07, 2015 10:23AM
sekker
pRICE cUBE

I recall eating 2 dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts when I realized I should start exercising. Sweets are fine for a treat though, I am not anti fun food by any stretch of the imagination.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 07, 2015 06:28PM
Rick-o
AllGold

Al, yeah, we have those stores around town, but I've never noticed any selling fresh doughnuts - just those horrible boxed varieties. Our grocery store with fresh baked goods burned to the ground a few years back, and the only real grocery store left is just a convenience store with gas pumps. Expensive, but they do have a meat counter/deli with a butcher, plus fresh produce.

I was chatting with a manager there a few years ago about how they should incorporate a bakery with their deli counter and I almost got laughed at!

Humph! *I* thought it was a good idea!

Hmmm, around here all the Kroger and Meijer grocery stores have fresh donuts (I really prefer the colloquial spelling). Also, some of the gas stations and convenience stores get fresh donuts shipped in daily. Speedway for example. Quality Dairy, which you probably don't have up there, probably has the best fresh bakery donuts of any of the non-donut-shop places.

And you also might not have them up there, but there are a ton of Tim Hortons that have opened up here over the last few years (donut/coffee shop with extra food-sandwiches and stuff).

Posted by: sekker
Date: June 07, 2015 08:28PM
pRICE cUBE
sekker
pRICE cUBE

I recall eating 2 dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts when I realized I should start exercising. Sweets are fine for a treat though, I am not anti fun food by any stretch of the imagination.

Nothing against fun food. I enjoy mint chip frozen yogurt on a regular basis - just eat 1/4 the portion size I used to eat for ice cream, and have yogurt.

But donuts truly no longer look attractive to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 279
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018