advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
4th of July weekend Up North pix
Posted by: DP
Date: July 09, 2015 09:35PM
Feel a little letdown now that the hummingbird baby is gone. But we did have a nice time up at the cottage over the holiday weekend. Weather was very warm-it felt like Summer finally!
We took our boat and went up the channel and anchored with 10-15 other boats to watch the town fireworks-a tradition now.

I shot some pix there too so here are a few from the weekend.

First, we have no loon babies again this year. Of the 13 years we've been here, we've seen maybe six babies. And we're not sure we have the same pair anymore. There were four on the lake hanging with each other and here are three:

And I'll need help with this guy. It was bouncing along the shoreline even flitting out to a water lily to nab a bug, then flit back to the shore. There a lot in my bird book that look like this but nothing definite. I'm pretty sure now it's a juvenile. But a juvenile what?

Here's Saturday morning and the heat and humidity is already building in this hazy view off our dock:

We took a walk too and I shot some pix of unknown wildflowers. I'll have to do some googling unless someone can help. This is not a dandelion as I first thought. The fluff is 8" across:

And these next two are very tiny:

Here's one I call the Jester's hat:

And what it looks like from underneath:

An iris at the shoreline:

Here's a beautiful unknown butterfly so I'll need some more help. Maybe only 3-4" across.
Wings folded:

And open. Anyone know?

A painted turtle about twenty feet from the dock:

I'll finish with a little story. This boat came by and I couldn't miss the little dogs peering out from the forecastle. We asked and he said they were rescued from a puppy mill. I gave him a beer.

Thx for looking...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 4th of July weekend Up North pix
Posted by: blooz
Date: July 09, 2015 10:44PM
Love that turtle shot!

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: billb
Date: July 10, 2015 01:35AM
the little birdie looks like a song sparrow

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 10, 2015 02:58AM
Lovely! Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 10, 2015 07:35AM
DP, thanks for the pics!

DP
First, we have no loon babies again this year. Of the 13 years we've been here, we've seen maybe six babies. And we're not sure we have the same pair anymore. There were four on the lake hanging with each other and here are three:

Expect to see even fewer loons:

[www.startribune.com]

"Minnesota’s beloved loons may get a piece of the $18.7 billion Gulf oil spill settlement announced last week — perhaps as much as $39 million over the next 15 years. Minnesota and Wisconsin would be the only states outside the Gulf Coast region to share in the payout, largely because scientists here have proved that the birds migrate every year to the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, and that, since the disastrous spill in 2010, many have returned contaminated with carcinogens and other toxins that they pass onto their eggs.

By federal law, any money that comes to Minnesota from the largest environmental settlement in the nation’s history could be used only to increase the population of 12,000 loons nesting here, according to top wildlife officials at the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR)."

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jesse
Date: July 10, 2015 09:28AM
Love the pic of the resucued pups, the turtle was pretty cool too smiling smiley
Posted by: DP
Date: July 10, 2015 09:42AM
Speedy
DP, thanks for the pics!

DP

Expect to see even fewer loons:

[www.startribune.com]

"Minnesota’s beloved loons may get a piece of the $18.7 billion Gulf oil spill settlement announced last week — perhaps as much as $39 million over the next 15 years. Minnesota and Wisconsin would be the only states outside the Gulf Coast region to share in the payout, largely because scientists here have proved that the birds migrate every year to the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, and that, since the disastrous spill in 2010, many have returned contaminated with carcinogens and other toxins that they pass onto their eggs.

By federal law, any money that comes to Minnesota from the largest environmental settlement in the nation’s history could be used only to increase the population of 12,000 loons nesting here, according to top wildlife officials at the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR)."

Thx for the info. I'll have to check in to that here in MI. My BIL and I are going to build a nesting platform for next year.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 10, 2015 09:47AM
Michigan's scientists need to prove what Wisconsin's and Minnesota's did.

I really, really like that the funds must be spent on restoring loons. Otherwise some states will divert it to budget balancing like the did with the tobacco settlement money.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ahs
Date: July 10, 2015 10:15AM
The butterfly is some kind of Fritillary.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 10, 2015 12:41PM

I remember seeing Steve McQueen attack a giant version of this with an axe in a movie from about 1962.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 10, 2015 02:02PM
Great set of shots - I have no idea what your little wading bird is... Lots of stuff I never see here in California, but I DID see one of those giant dandelions high in the mountains on my last trip - just one though...
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 10, 2015 05:22PM
DP

Here's one I call the Jester's hat:

I saw one of those when I watched the movie Aliens last night. :-)
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 10, 2015 06:12PM
Very nice! thumbs up

Some great pics, and I like the turtle shot too.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018