advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
El Capitan beta fixed a problem: waking up from sleep
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: July 11, 2015 07:49AM
El Capitan beta fixed a problem I'd had since I purchased a Mac Pro tower two years ago: it would never wake up from sleep by touching the keyboard, or moving the mouse. The only way to wake the system up was to hit the power button once (on the actual tower). My tower's below my desk, not a huge deal, but it always made me wonder if others had that issue.

With EC (at least the latest beta), a tap of the keyboard wakes the system.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: El Capitan beta fixed a problem: waking up from sleep
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: July 11, 2015 08:46AM
I've had that same issue since I first installed Mavericks, but adopting beta software in the hope of fixing it may just be exchanging one problem for others. Thanks for the info, however.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 11, 2015 09:22AM
I installed the beta onto a guinea pig Mavs disk. Got the "No" slash-circle on reboot. Disk appears OK but El Capitan will not boot: only to the Futilities screen. Not a good start.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 11, 2015 11:22AM
Tuqqer,

Are you certain the source of the issue was the OS and not the keyboard? I've never experienced the problem with the Matias Tactile Pro and Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse under any flavor of OS 9 or X even when they were used with much older machines, even an old PowerMac G4.

The only time waking a computer via the keyboard or the mouse was a problem took place when I used an OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock with my early 2013 Macbook Pro Retina under Yosemite. Waking the Mac via the external keyboard or mouse was unreliable. Removed the dock and the issue vanished and hasn't returned.

Robert
Date: July 11, 2015 11:27AM
Robert M
Tuqqer,
Are you certain the source of the issue was the OS and not the keyboard? ...
Robert

Good point, and I wondered that (for the past 2 years), too. It's just a standard Apple Wired Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (MB110LL/B) that comes with the Mac Pro, and plugged directly into the USB on the side of the tower.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: July 11, 2015 11:40AM
tuqqer
El Capitan beta fixed a problem I'd had since I purchased a Mac Pro tower two years ago: it would never wake up from sleep by touching the keyboard, or moving the mouse. The only way to wake the system up was to hit the power button once (on the actual tower). My tower's below my desk, not a huge deal, but it always made me wonder if others had that issue.

With EC (at least the latest beta), a tap of the keyboard wakes the system.

Do you have an older OS handy on a boot drive?

Both El Capitan and Yosemite 10.10.4 include firmware patches that may have inadvertently fixed your problems. If it was a firmware problem and not a software problem then I'd expect the fix to persist when you reboot with an older OS.

Posted by: bfd
Date: July 11, 2015 04:14PM
Glad to have put that beta on a separate partition. After a few days, there's been some random kernel panics and outright crashes. Sometimes it runs OK for extended periods. But most of the time the log-in window greets bfd after any extended absence.

Hope Apple has collected some good data here.

El Cap doesn't seem to deal well with the multiple monitor set-up here, either.

However, the machine it's on is not cutting edge anymore (2009 Quad Core Xeon) so it may well be on the fringe of what's optimal for this new OS release.
Posted by: DP
Date: July 13, 2015 07:24AM
I've never had a wake from sleep issue. I went from 10.6.8 thru Mavs to 10.10.1 now and have always been able to wake from sleep by KB or moving the mouse on two iMacs.
Date: July 13, 2015 08:49AM
I've read it was mainly a new Mac Pro tower issue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 182
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018