advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Today: Pretty exciting! Missing some things though.
Posted by: microchip13
Date: January 10, 2006 06:08PM
Today was great.
I couldn't get my auto send script to work, but my friend did send me some text messages during LA class.

THe intel iMacs, cool, but, I would prefer a 2.1Ghz G5 64bit over 2 32 bit processors.

The MacBooks.

Finally, too bad they didn't redo the entire powerbook line.

While I was hoping for a G5, two intel cores are very very nice, along with the integrated iSight. Very happy, though I don't think I saw that it has an SMS.

Lack of Firewire 800, I can see why they did it, lack of usage in the real world.

New Power adapter, it's cool, but why? i didn't hear plaguing issues about the old ones.

Screen brightness? Pretty sweet, how about upping the resolution more?

I hope that whatever replaces the powermacs is at least 64bit.
64bit obiously can take twice as much information than 32bit.

So, just my reflections.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Today: Pretty exciting! Missing some things though.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: January 10, 2006 06:17PM
What is that BlueTurd on your keyboard MicroChipSter?
Looks like you ate too much BooBerry cereal and then took a dump on your KB.
Why did you name it Apple?

BGnR
Date: January 10, 2006 06:20PM
And I like the commercial.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Date: January 10, 2006 06:26PM
MC13 writes.:
"It's a Retainer"

What does it "retain"?

BGnR
Posted by: Marcos Malo
Date: January 10, 2006 07:18PM
Think orthodontic appliance, BGnR.

Date: January 10, 2006 07:55PM
Marcos Malo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Think orthodontic appliance, BGnR.

Think Sarcasm Marcos.
Some folks just don't get humor.

BGnR

Posted by: JoeBob
Date: January 10, 2006 09:39PM
Chipster, I have been seeing some "fix it yourself" threads for failed power adapter plugs.
My toothbrush charges like this, so I kind of think it is cool.
Date: January 10, 2006 10:08PM
MC13 Writes.:
"New Power adapter, it's cool, but why? i didn't hear plaguing issues about the old ones."

Not a "plaguing" issue MC13, it is a "I tripped over my power cord and my iBook/PowerBook went flying across the room and crushed my cat" issue.

BGnR
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 11, 2006 01:28AM
To be clear, 64-bit is A LOT more than two times 32-bit.

I forget the exact amount, but a 32-bit number can be as large as 4 billion (in decimal), where a 64-bit number can be as large as 18,000 Trillion (also in decimal), or 18 Quadrillion.

Two times the 32-bit number would yield only 8 billion, while 64-bits is almost 18,000,000 billion more than that.

Hope that helps to quantify the actual differnce between 32 and 64 bit.

Date: January 11, 2006 07:43AM
Yea, something like that.

I wouldn't mind a macbookpro as an addition to my portables, or even a replacement, but until I see quad core 64bit intel chips, I'll cling to my G5.

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 13, 2006 08:32AM
The 32 bit/64 bit thing is a "width of data path" issue more than anything.

I think it will be a long while before we see comsumer programs that require anything near that large - because companies (corporations!) that were using the Alpha and Sun a decade ago are still utilizing 64 bit tech (and sometimes simply MP tech in 32/64 mode, such as a G3/G4 or Pentium/Xeon) - and the capabilities are simply not being tapped.

Huge computational exercises, like encryption and digital transmission also have demanding applications of such a scale (in terms of code) that those applications require that capability and address width, but over time, it appears that the use of multiple processors in parallel will be the answer to the 32/64 bit question (which can address 128 bit in stages) before such a time when 64 bit becomes a NEED.

Based on the comparisons we see on same speed G4s vs G5s, the performance curve isn't that different, and that could easily be a design improvement/SOI, etc., as opposed to any element related to deploying a full 64 bit data path.

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say we won't be seeing giant improvements over the G5 (or for that matter, any further effort to dumb down the Power 5 line, let alone the Power4 line) --or the 64 bit offerings of ALL chip mfgrs., beyond seeking new manufacturing processes, rather than some new evolution in moving to 64 bit and beyond - for perhaps another 10 years.

That's my forecast.

Write it down.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 13, 2006 03:07PM
Of course.... after reading THIS just this afternoon, we may end up with something much larger just because it can be done.

[news.yahoo.com]

Researchers Develop Quantum Processor
Jay Wrolstad, newsfactor.com Fri Jan 13, 11:17 AM ET

A computer chip based on the esoteric science of quantum mechanics has been created by researchers at the University of Michigan. The chip might well pave the way for a new generation of supercomputers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 230
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018