advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
It is done... the Blackberry Clamshell™ is here (bandwidth warning)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 10, 2006 06:19PM
Yes, I am a nut. But you knew that already.

Merci beaucoup to rgG (aka "The Mighty Painting Goddess") for her assistance from afar during this process. This was my first try at something like this, so there was definitely a learning curve, and I could do a much better job if I were to do it again...

Without further ado, here are the photos:

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: It is done... the Blackberry Clamshell™ is here (bandwidth warning)
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 10, 2006 07:32PM
WooHoo! Glad to finally see it in the flesh or rather plastic. Lookin good PeterB. Now you need to walk around with it to see how many comments and questions you get.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: January 10, 2006 07:47PM
Thanks rgG.

Yes, I am expecting it will get some comments... the black/white combination is very sharp; don't know why Apple doesn't go back to black. It looks better "in person", I think-- the photos don't really do justice, but on the other hand, in person, you see more imperfections. ;)

In retrospect, I might have chosen a different color; it's just that having a gloss black was hard to resist... next choice after black probably would have been either the Cranberry (or Hot Pink for the ladies)...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention-- I did the usual upgrades-- hard drive to 40GB, Combo drive. I haven't upped the RAM yet but will probably do that too...

Posted by: Phy
Date: January 10, 2006 08:23PM
Beautiful job, PeterB.
How long did the whole re-do take?
Date: January 10, 2006 08:49PM
Phy, you don't want to know winking smiley

Actually, the reassembly wasn't too bad; always seems to go faster than the takeapart. The paint job itself was done over a few days, plus some more days to let it dry thoroughly.

The major hassles of this one:

1) Even though I masked everything, the paint still went EVERYWHERE. A lot of scraping necessary to get rid of excess, and the masking tape did not leave really good straight lines-- for those, I ended up using (don't laugh) permanent marker... so I "cheated" a bit. At least with black as the color, the marker matches pretty well.

2) Some parts were incredibly difficult to paint-- particularly, the trackpad button, the handle, and the optical drive bezel... the trackpad button in particular was a real pain.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2006 09:03PM by PeterB.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: January 10, 2006 10:02PM
PeterB, did you use masking tape, or painters tape?

That beige masking tape does not work to mask off for painting, it allows the paint to creep under as you found out. Blue tape works much better, you still have to roll down the edges. Your iBook looks sharp!

BGnR
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: January 10, 2006 10:10PM
I like it, I like it!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: January 10, 2006 10:24PM
BGnR, I used the blue stuff -- rgG actually suggested that that might have been the problem -- she actually thought I might have been better off using the regular stuff... I did press down the edges quite a bit; that didn't really seem to help-- and I do think a big part of the reason I wasn't getting straight edges is that the blue tape is thick enough that you cannot easily see/score through it with an Exacto (I used a flat edged razor blade).

Also, there was some discussion about whether I would have been better off using vinyl dye rather than paint. One problem with the vinyl dye, as far as I'm concerned, is that there is no getting rid of it once it's "in" the plastic... at least with the paint, if you get a little bit of excess (as I did) you can scrape it off. I also found out that Goo Gone took it off well, too. So this is relevant to the masking issue, because if your masking job isn't perfect, then the vinyl dye may get places it shouldn't...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2006 10:27PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 11, 2006 07:58AM
Looks nice.

Makes me want to do stuff like that, until I realize I don't want to do stuff like that!

Is that black - with metal flake?

Also.... once you top it out, what are the tech stats for it?
Posted by: incognegro
Date: January 11, 2006 09:15AM
nice job, thanks for posting the pix.

maybe you want to contact someone at AppleFritter...
[www.applefritter.com]

Date: January 11, 2006 10:47AM
jimmy,

1) No, it's just gloss black-- but for some reason, it did get a slight metallic "sheen" to it... I haven't buffed it out or anything yet. You can see some tiny bubbles too-- I asked rgG about those-- she claimed that it might be dust from where I was painting it (a basement), I think it might have been compressed gas bubbles in the paint (I shook the heck out of the can before spraying). At any rate, it gives it a nice "extra" look.

2) Topped out specs: 466 mhz, 576MB RAM (they do take 512 chips, plus I believe it's either a 64 or 128 built-in), Combo drive. The one thing I haven't been able to do yet is to overclock-- see my post at the other place about that (search for "Ultimate Clamshell") ... if someone were able to figure out how to do the overclock properly, it should be capable of at least 533 mhz, if not 566. (The 300's are easily capable of 400, and the 366 of 466.) Should also be possible to software overclock it too, because it has the 750cx chip... but nobody has written the software for that chip, only for the 750fx.

I'll contact the Applefritter folks to see if they want the pix...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 284
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018