advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
This can't be legal... can it?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 10, 2015 01:37PM
Googling for a phone number that has been repeatedly calling me, I found this page:

[xdd2.com]

... which purports to create "fake" identities by randomizing data from legitimate sources...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: This can't be legal... can it?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 10, 2015 01:42PM
Interesting. Rather than making your ID a needle in a haystack, they're making it a needle in a needle stack. The end result is the same. I don't see how that would be illegal. Pretty clever actually.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2015 01:49PM by ztirffritz.
Date: August 10, 2015 01:55PM
ztirffritz
Interesting. Rather than making your ID a needle in a haystack, they're making it a needle in a needle stack. The end result is the same. I don't see how that would be illegal. Pretty clever actually.

Well because that phone number belongs to SOMEONE... as does the social security number...

Date: August 10, 2015 02:03PM
The illegal part is the presumed robo-calling. Obfuscating your identity by polluting the internet with bogus data isn't. Anyone who knows you will know your phone number, or enough information about you to track it down. Using a VoIP server you can impersonate any phone number you want. I had my home phone and address set on my Asterisk server to (555)555-1212 and the address reported 1060 W Addison, Chicago (Blues Brothers fans will get it) then I realized it was a federal offense to change your caller ID data like that. My point is it is really easy to fake the caller ID.

Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: August 10, 2015 02:06PM
Count to 1 Billion. Was your social security number in there somewhere? BAN NUMBERS!

The information is useless if it's tied to completely unrelated information.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 10, 2015 02:09PM
VERY Illegal in the US... IF the intent is fraud. Mere security through obscurity ? Not so much. To collect a debt ? Yeah... Courts say that's legal too.
[arstechnica.com]

[www.fcc.gov]

"Under the Truth in Caller ID Act, FCC rules:

Prohibit any person or entity from transmitting misleading or inaccurate caller ID information with the intent to defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value.
Subject violators to a penalty of up to $10,000 for each violation of the rules.
Exempt authorized activities by law enforcement agencies and situations where courts have authorized caller ID manipulation to occur."
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 10, 2015 06:24PM
ztirffritz, that's a lot of lawn to mow...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: August 11, 2015 11:35AM
cbelt3
VERY Illegal in the US... IF the intent is fraud.

I think that's partly what I was thinking of. What's to prevent someone from opening a credit card using some of this info, which will then essentially allow someone to impersonate someone else and have them take the hit with the credit bureaus.

Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: August 11, 2015 01:37PM
PeterB
What's to prevent someone from opening a credit card using some of this info

How about the fact that these people don't exist. The numbers exist. The names exist. The grouping of numbers to names did not exist previously.

If you can just open a credit line using made up info, what would a person need this site for? They could just make the info up themselves for infinite credit. So, as I said before.. BAN NUMBERS!
Date: August 11, 2015 06:16PM
None of that information is accurate. It's like the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. They buried the real information in noise. If you do a Google search you'd get so many conflicting results you couldn't discern what was real and what isn't. The person making the call using spoofed caller ID is breaking the law. The person running the website full of bogus data meant to obfuscate real data isn't doing anything illegal.

This also reminds me of this classic collegiate urban legend:

At the close of the final exam, the proctor announced time was up and directed the students to turn their blue books in. One student, hastening to finish a thought, kept scribbling. Finishing, he rushed to the front of the room and handed in his exam book, one of the last to do so.

The proctor said, "I won't accept this," and the flabbergasted student asked why. "I told everyone to stop and you kept on going. I can't accept it."

The student was aghast. "What'll happen then?"

"You'll probably flunk," shrugged the proctor.

With that, the student drew himself up proudly and asked, "Do you know who I am?"

Unimpressed, the proctor answered, "No."

The student replied, "Good," and jammed his blue book into the center of the pile on the desk.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 255
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018