The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
pickup truck owners, got a question on size / configuration
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 13, 2015 01:22PM
Never owned one but have driven a few.

Looking for used, less than $20K and closer to um, $10K

It would become a second vehicle (the other we have is a sedan) occasionally asked to carry 4 people, so either half doors or 4 doors are needed, as is some sort of fuel economy that's not a total joke. Don't want to be miserable on a long highway drive but certainly don't require a lux version of anything.

My neighbor, who has one, insists I only consider a full size (1/2 ton gas) and not something smaller. I actually hate the way every 1/2 ton I've been in rides (and that includes some 2015 models I've rented) and would rather pony up for a 3/4 ton -- I think they actually ride better (less bounce in my experience). I know that conflicts with fuel mileage goals. I'd also consider turbodiesel if the price was right.

But ... let's say for the sake of argument a Tacoma (6 or 4cyl) would still be usable to tow something small. What would I really be giving up with bed size or whatever else?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: pickup truck owners, got a question on size / configuration
Posted by: billb
Date: August 13, 2015 01:33PM
I wouldn't ask anyone to sit in the back seat of a Tacoma Access Cab (unless they were under two and in a child seat ) for more than 15 minutes.
Double cab and towing means V6 Auto, 5 or 6 foot bed

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Pat
Date: August 13, 2015 01:52PM
The 'xtra' cabs have never had enough room in the back unless the passengers are children. If it's only short trips, it may not matter.

I believe the 4 door Tacoma only has a ~4' bed, regular cab ~6' and they are narrower than the full size trucks. That's going off memory when I was looking for a dedicated off road rig a few years back.
1/2 ton full size 4 doors come with ~6' beds.
Only way I know to get 4 doors and a full 8' bed is with 3/4 and up. Although I think the 4 door Dodge has/or had a funky bed size.

I have a 2003 crew cab, long bed F250. 21' of truck can be a hassle at times when trying to find parking, drive through, etc. It rides nice until you find a section of freeway where the expansion joints are spaced just right to make you wish you were wearing a kidney belt. If your state charges weight fees, you will be paying more on a 3/4 vs 1/2 ton. If you like oil changes measured in gallons instead of quarts that cost $70 to do on your own, by all means come join the diesel crowd. Cost, my 2003 still values over $10k with 190k miles.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 13, 2015 02:09PM
The obvious question is.. what are you planning on carrying in the truck bed ? Because that's the only reason for a pickup. Basically identify the cargo and then work backwards.

The Honda Ridgelines are awesome on long distances, and adults can sit in the back. Basically it's a Pilot with half a a pickup bed attached.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: August 13, 2015 02:12PM
I owned an "83 F150 long bed and currently own a Chevy 2500HD Diesel, 6.5 foot bed. The F150 rode better, unless the 2500HD is loaded. The Chevy is a crew cab, and I would not plan on hauling anyone but children in an extended cab. The F150 was a 6 cylinder and got about 19 MPG. The Diesel gets 15-17 MPG unless I am pulling a trailer.

My son drives a '12 Tacoma crew cab and it's a nice ride, but the bed is only about 4' as stated in the previous post. I'm a big guy and I have to duck my head in first to get into it. It's like you wear it instead of ride in it.

The 1/2 ton full size is probably the best for most folks. It's ubiquitous, drives more like a car, and parts will be available for a long time.
Posted by: jh
Date: August 13, 2015 02:13PM
What are your needs for the truck bed? That will determine the size bed you need. If you plan on towing with a small size truck a you will need 6 cylinder.

Owned three trucks. All were small ones. Luv truck 4 cylinder that served my needs at the time, Chevy S10 extended cab ( ditto on NOT putting anybody back in the extended cab for any length of time on a small truck-dangerous and uncomfortable). It became an extended trunk for stuff i would put behind the front seat. Currently have a Nissan Frontier Nismo 4WD four door that I got a very good deal as I was not looking for a truck like that since I don't do off road driving. I can fit people in the back seat comfortably depending upon their size. You take a hit on the bed length being a bit shorter but I use the tale gate and the "cage" that came with it for longer loads. It's a 6 cylinder, don't do any towing, or heavy hauling in the bed-normal suburban needs for me. Gas mileage with my current truck doing city driving ranges 14 to 17. 4WD will affect mileage a bit is my experience but now that I have one I like it.
Date: August 13, 2015 02:17PM
Good info, thanks. Pat I have experience driving one like yours (with 4WD) across country/around town and towing a 50' "man-lift" (like this) so yeah, maneuvering can get interesting when you consume 40 + feet on the road. And I know a 2WD 1/2 ton gas engine can do it, too but wouldn't be using it for that.
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 13, 2015 02:23PM
I have a 2010 Silverado 1500, 4WD, regular cab, 8 ft. bed, 5.3 liter motor. The ride is really pretty good! I drive on a lot of windy roads. The towing package rear suspension DID feel a little stiff when I bought it, but after adding a topper and tools, and a with a little break in time I'm happy with the handling. Gas mileage is about 18.5 mpg overall, but I've charted 21+ on the highway and 15-16 while towing moderate loads. I can tow up to 7000 lbs. With the same wheelbase, the extended cab option cuts the bed length to 6'6'', and the crew cab to 5'8''. The Tacoma bed length with a crew cab is 5 feet. I paid about 10k less than a comparable Tundra.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 02:27PM by btfc.
Date: August 13, 2015 02:26PM
I hate boom lifts! I always end up with the guy that makes it into a carnival ride.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: August 13, 2015 02:57PM
Happy with our '08 Tacoma with the full double cab. It's comfortable back there and has normal back doors, not "suicide" ones. Also have an '00 Tundra with the fake back seat and suicide doors. That back seat is for stuff, not people, except in a pinch.

The Tacoma gets decent mileage and is 4WD. Ours has a toolbox in it so the bed is pretty short(yeah not my idea)... Bed extenders can give you another foot or so. The Tundra does most of the real hauling of big stuff, but we have racks on the Tacoma too... So either can take two or sometimes three kayaks.

My first vehicle was one of those 21' F-150s with the double cab and 8’ bed. Sometimes I miss the bed but never the driveshaft issues or parallel parking.

The Tacoma rides nicely and yes it's narrower than the same vintage Tundra. My husband is a big guy and he's comfortable in it...
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 13, 2015 04:12PM
cbelt3
The obvious question is.. what are you planning on carrying in the truck bed ? Because that's the only reason for a pickup. Basically identify the cargo and then work backwards.

agree smiley

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 04:12PM by ztirffritz.
Date: August 13, 2015 04:57PM
I'd characterize the cargo needs as "suburban" ; nothing specific. I've used our minivan as a truck numerous times and want something a little more convenient for that instead.

I get that just as a van is compromised, so are pickups compared to each other. So it may come down to something as basic as a better deal found on something instead of a particular configuration.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 13, 2015 05:11PM
Newer trucks have a much smoother ride. Just rode in a 2015 Ford F-150 Super Crew (full four doors) with the 6.5 ft bed. Nice ride even unloaded and quiet inside.

The big issue you'll find is finding a newer pickup in good shape for $10K. Around here that will buy a 10+ year truck that's bare bones and has at least 100k miles. Forget about finding a diesel in good shape for that price. The price for used diesels is insane, especially the ones that don't require ultra low sulfur diesel. A friend of mine just sold a Ford Super Duty diesel crew cab with 150k miles for only several thousand less than he paid for it.

I have a Super Cab F-250 Super Duty. Back seat is bigger than those of similar year and too small for anyone over the age of 12 to ride in for any length of time. The issue with suicide rear doors is two-fold. First, they're a pain to use in parking lots. Open the front door, open the back door for the person to get out, that person moves toward the front door, closes the back door and then closes the front door. The second and more important issue is that the lack of a B pillar tends to lead to body flex as the truck racks up miles. You'll notice it begin to squeak more and road noise increases. I will never buy an extended cab again.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: August 13, 2015 06:45PM

Rides like a car. Good gas milege. The price is right. Larger bed than some trucks. I have a black 1977 GMC Sprint that needs some body work but drives fine. Get you a load of top soil, or gravel. Take some brush to the land fill. No computers. They were made up till 1987 and you cand find some nice rides in the price range you stated.
Four wheel drive is not standard.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Buck
Date: August 13, 2015 06:48PM
When I had a pickup (Ford Ranger) I used to give my wife a load of crap every so often.
For the garden that is. A little difficult with a car or van.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 13, 2015 06:54PM
General rule of thumb is, the shorter or more insecure you are, the bigger the truck, and the higher the suspension.

Its called "Little Big Man Syndrome" A friend has it. He's 5'3". Very insecure. Another friend, who is 5'2" and VERY secure in his manhood, drives a Tacoma. He's former Navy Spec OPs.
Date: August 13, 2015 06:58PM
I know what you're trying to do, Bernie. Not taking the bait. That's a slippery slope to the Jeep Scrambler and Chevy Rampside. Actually, the Rampside would be pretty cool.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: August 13, 2015 09:13PM

2007 Lincoln Mark LT
Something in WHITE.
70,000 miles for 23,580.00

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: max
Date: August 13, 2015 10:23PM
I can carry more stuff in the Suburban than most people in their full size pickups....

Posted by: Carm
Date: August 14, 2015 02:28AM
F150 crewcab or Honda Ridgeline.

Hard to carry a full sized fridge in a Suburban/Tahoe/van/suv.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 14, 2015 04:43AM
As a big truck driver (unfortunately, in both senses of the word), get a utility trailer.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 14, 2015 06:52AM
Bernie
[Lincoln et al

Perhaps, but I'd prefer it say Platinum or Harley Davidson or King Ranch on the side. Maybe all of that! And don't forget the chrome. Daddy like the chrome. And not refrigerator white, it's gotta be pearl white of course, with some glitter flakes.

Speedy ...
get a utility trailer.

You just reminded me about Harbor Frieght's cheap, folding trailer. (Not sure what the difference is between the 62170 and 90154 is. ) I could get that and a hitch for the sedan and later see if I really need a truck ...
Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 14, 2015 10:23AM
max
I can carry more stuff in the Suburban than most people in their full size pickups....

[forums.macresource.com]

=wr=
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 14, 2015 10:49AM
max

What's with the third eye, I mean headlight?

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 14, 2015 11:50AM
If you're getting a truck get one with a full size bed. It makes moving drywall and plywood much easier. If you're considering anything less than an 8' bed, get something like the Honda Ridgeline, Subaru Brat, or a utility trailer.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 14, 2015 12:33PM
ztirffritz
If you're getting a truck get one with a full size bed. It makes moving drywall and plywood much easier. If you're considering anything less than an 8' bed, get something like the Honda Ridgeline, Subaru Brat, or a utility trailer.

I agree. Whenever I'm hauling 8' sheet stock, I want the tailgate closed with all the cargo safely inside. I never cared for the extended cabs, they always rob cargo space in the bed, unless you get one of those freakishly long crew cabs with an 8' box. (plan on TWO parking spaces with that beast!).

My biased recommendation would be either a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton Chevy or GMC pick-up.

> General rule of thumb is, the shorter or more insecure you are, the bigger the truck, and the higher the suspension.

That's just crazy talk!! punch smiley

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: billb
Date: August 14, 2015 01:09PM
Rick-o
ztirffritz

I agree. Whenever I'm hauling 8' sheet stock, I want the tailgate closed with all the cargo safely inside.

I've had a 6 and 5 foot bed on a Tacoma and Frontier. You buy or bring 3 or 4 8 foot 2x3 or 2x4 and prop them up un the tailgate for a floor. Easy peasy. A full size truck with a cap comes in handy if you're trying to haul sheets on a rainy day tho'.

A 5 foot bed on a midsize truck trumps squeezing 4x8 sheets in a grand caravan, which is what I do now that I don't have a truck any more. sad smiley

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 14, 2015 01:47PM
Carm
F150 crewcab or Honda Ridgeline.

Hard to carry a full sized fridge in a Suburban/Tahoe/van/suv.

Note that the Ridgeline will need a timing belt and water pump at roughly 100k miles at a cost of $800-1200. Just something to include in the cost of ownership.
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: August 15, 2015 10:45AM
If you want an people hauler to go to Lowes occaisionally, go with the Honda. If you are going to haul stuff, get an 8 foot bed.
We have a Silverado 2500HD, but it will beat the fillings out of your teeth when riding empty.
Date: August 16, 2015 11:11AM
Yeah everything is more of a compromise than I want. A full size truck is too big as daily transportation IMO and would only highlight the corresponding infrequent use of the bed.

One really hard point is MPG since it'd be a daily driver. I want no less than mid 20s, so maybe forgoing the towing and sticking with 4CYL makes more sense except oh yeah, with some midsize models the V6 is only a 1-2 MPG penalty. There seem to be few absolutes with any of this.
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 16, 2015 01:59PM
Jeep Grand Cherokee comes in a 6 CYL diesel, which gets about 30 mpg and can tow as much as my truck. Not cheap, though.
Date: August 16, 2015 06:49PM
^^ One of several things mentioned on our 5 hr trip back home today ... and yet no closer to knowing what we may want to pursue. First time we've not been able to decide on a direction, and it's not because we aren't agreeing.
Date: August 17, 2015 02:15PM
Sometimes you have to give people a ride home.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 264
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018