advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
VPN, hotspots & credit cards
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: October 29, 2006 06:51PM
I know that sending credit card info via wifi at a public hotspot is really asking for trouble, but is it any safer to do if I'm connecting through a VPN? I just downloaded freeware called Hotspot Shield from anchorfree.com, and it claims to make my transmissions safer. Opinions? Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: VPN, hotspots & credit cards
Posted by: pinion
Date: October 29, 2006 07:12PM

Technical Requirements: Hotspot Shield runs on Windows 2000/XP and higher

I'm not sure I can help you with this being the software is not for Mac. I guess if it does what it says it does though you should be ok.

---"Yer all idiots." elmo3
[forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2006 07:13PM by pinion.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: October 29, 2006 07:56PM
Submitting sensitive data via a WiFi connection over HTTPS is more secure than giving your CC# to someone over the phone.
The data is encrypted before it is sent.
The potential for your traffic to be sniffed is 100%, however, the encryption used is very strong, and to my knowledge, has not been broken.

If you're not submitting CC# over HTTPS, then you need to have your head examined.

That said, I can't imagine myself ever using a public hotspot to order something.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: October 29, 2006 08:55PM
To pinion: Anchorfree has just recently made Hotspot Shield available for Mac! Very cool. I haven't read any reviews of it, though.

To Seacrest: The fact that you can't imagine yourself sending sensitive info at a public hotspot does not mean that there aren't situations that, for certain people in certain circumstances, make it necessary. However, I do agree with you that sending data over HTTPS is more secure than giving CC#s over the phone.

Anyone else out there with real world experience?

Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2006 09:23PM by prymsnap.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: October 29, 2006 09:30PM
To be honest, I would steer clear of that software mentioned above.
At best it's totally unnecessary -- it would just be redundant if you're using https or a VPN already -- at worst, it looks like potential spyware/adware. There's no real description of what it actually does on the site, and a google search turns up a similar lack of info.

And, come to think of it, I do submit "sensitive info" at hotspots.
I am always logging in to my server via SSH, and I access my company extranet over HTTPS without blinking an eye.

However, when it comes to buying pron, I wait till I get home winking smiley

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 279
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015