advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Got medical issues myself...
Posted by: DP
Date: August 31, 2015 06:03PM
Didn't want to hijack Rolando's smashed finger thread. I've been sick all last weekend-on Friday I really began to notice pain in my joints and a general malaise. Lack of energy, headache, neck ache, all over body aches, sweats and chills.
Saturday I definitely knew something was kicking my butt. I had the Saturday chores to do and I mowed the lawn but barely finished. Went in and laid on the couch and stayed there I was so whacked. Never having felt like this I thought I'd check my temp. 100.5º! Uh, oh. Rested for a bit and then got on some payin' work I needed to do but after about half an hour I gave up, mostly because my fingers and wrist hurt like the devil working the mouse.
Sunday was even worse and temp was up to 101.5º OK, time to do something so I call my doc first thing this morning and she gets me in right away. She's hearing noises in my left lung and orders blood work and chest x-rays. Asks if I've been around kids which I haven't been; she said there's a virus going around our area that seems to be transmitted thru contact by kids!
So she calls me this afternoon and says, "Guess what? You've got pneumonia!" WHAT? I have no idea how I've acquired pneumonia. I rarely get sick. I haven't had a cold in five years at least and can't remember the last time I ran a temperature... She ordered me a Z-pack and I took the first two.
One test the doc wanted run in the blood work was for parvovirus B19. I never knew there was a human form of parvo. Black, wowser, the other health care pros here-you all run into human parvo in your practices? Could this be the virus that my doc thought was spread by kids (I forgot to ask her), the so called Fifth Disease?
I've been resting all day but I'll be glad when this is over. I walk like an old man because it hurts so much and have no energy. I've never felt like this and I have a lot of work to do so I need to get better. Figure I'll rest today and hope to feel well enough tomorrow to get some work done.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Got medical issues myself...
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 31, 2015 06:20PM
Get well soon!
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: August 31, 2015 06:22PM
Sounds awful — hope you feel better soon!
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 31, 2015 06:23PM
Better than that brain eating amoeba... got another kid over the weekend.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 31, 2015 06:25PM
Get well soon!

It is what it is.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 31, 2015 06:29PM
Feel better!

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 31, 2015 06:42PM
You have West Nile Virus:

[www.cdc.gov]

(Who are you going to believe, your doctor or someone who plays one on the interwebs?)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 31, 2015 06:48PM
Whisky and honey...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 31, 2015 06:53PM
freeradical
Whisky and honey...

If his honey is out of town, would you recommend hookers?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 31, 2015 07:02PM
Thx, all.
Yes, hookers and booze to cure what ails ya! I thought of West Nile as it has shown up in Detroit. Actually, it was in some mosquitos collected a couple of weeks ago in the Redford area of Detroit. But I have don't the rash...
Posted by: Pam
Date: August 31, 2015 07:41PM
I picked up pneumonia years ago in July. Hit me out of nowhere. And I had no clue how I got it.

Did they test for tick related diseases?
Posted by: flareslow
Date: August 31, 2015 08:18PM

Speedy
You have West Nile Virus:

[www.cdc.gov]

(Who are you going to believe, your doctor or someone who plays one on the interwebs?)

+1 It's going around.
Date: August 31, 2015 08:24PM
Pam
I picked up pneumonia years ago in July. Hit me out of nowhere. And I had no clue how I got it.

Did they test for tick related diseases?

There was a whole list on the sheet I was given that I should be tested for. That's where I noticed the Parvovirus. And as far as I know, I haven't had any tick bites this year.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 31, 2015 08:28PM
Please take pneumonia very seriously and don't push yourself until you know you are well into clearing it. The various causes of pneumonia can take you down slowly if you don't spend the time resting and getting well.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 31, 2015 08:52PM
Lew Zealand
Please take pneumonia very seriously and don't push yourself until you know you are well into clearing it. The various causes of pneumonia can take you down slowly if you don't spend the time resting and getting well.

This. A neighbor had pneumonia last summer and she is still not right...

=wr=
Posted by: wowzer
Date: August 31, 2015 09:21PM
DP
Didn't want to hijack Rolando's smashed finger thread. I've been sick all last weekend-on Friday I really began to notice pain in my joints and a general malaise. Lack of energy, headache, neck ache, all over body aches, sweats and chills.
Saturday I definitely knew something was kicking my butt. I had the Saturday chores to do and I mowed the lawn but barely finished. Went in and laid on the couch and stayed there I was so whacked. Never having felt like this I thought I'd check my temp. 100.5º! Uh, oh. Rested for a bit and then got on some payin' work I needed to do but after about half an hour I gave up, mostly because my fingers and wrist hurt like the devil working the mouse.
Sunday was even worse and temp was up to 101.5º OK, time to do something so I call my doc first thing this morning and she gets me in right away. She's hearing noises in my left lung and orders blood work and chest x-rays. Asks if I've been around kids which I haven't been; she said there's a virus going around our area that seems to be transmitted thru contact by kids!
So she calls me this afternoon and says, "Guess what? You've got pneumonia!" WHAT? I have no idea how I've acquired pneumonia. I rarely get sick. I haven't had a cold in five years at least and can't remember the last time I ran a temperature... She ordered me a Z-pack and I took the first two.
One test the doc wanted run in the blood work was for parvovirus B19. I never knew there was a human form of parvo. Black, wowser, the other health care pros here-you all run into human parvo in your practices? Could this be the virus that my doc thought was spread by kids (I forgot to ask her), the so called Fifth Disease?
I've been resting all day but I'll be glad when this is over. I walk like an old man because it hurts so much and have no energy. I've never felt like this and I have a lot of work to do so I need to get better. Figure I'll rest today and hope to feel well enough tomorrow to get some work done.

Some information about B19:
[emedicine.medscape.com]

Parvo virus B19 is more common in children and is commonly called 5th's disease (a reference to the outdated childhood febrile exanthema). Overall, it is less likely that you have B19...unless you have aplastic anemia, it really won't do any damage. The thing to concern yourself is if you are around a pregnant woman, parvovirus can cause feral demise and defects.

On another note, pneumonia in adults is more commonly viral in origin. The zithromax you are taking is an accepted antibiotic for pneumonia, but wont help if you are infected with a virus. If you get better, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't get better, be sure to go back to your doctor (cancer sometimes also presents with similar complaints). Hope this helps....

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2015 09:25PM by wowzer.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: August 31, 2015 09:27PM
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 31, 2015 10:44PM
I'm really sorry to hear that DP. I go for years without health issues and then something kicks me in the @!#$#!%^#@ and makes me feel totally vulnerable again. I don't wish such things on anybody.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 31, 2015 11:10PM
I wish thee well....

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"Trump is a moron." -- Steve G.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 01, 2015 06:19AM
Here's hoping your recovery is swift and full!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: September 01, 2015 06:27AM
Again, thank you all for your well wishes.
wowzer (spelled your handle right this time! Doc wants to see me in a week), thanks for the information and I did think of cancer too. I think I have an excellent doc and I trust her completely but I also make sure to ask lot of questions. If she or the doc who read the X-ray had seen anything like cancer I would have been told right away.
I'm feeling about the same this morning but I got some good sleep last night. Thx for the support!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 01, 2015 10:05AM
Get well soon, and don't take this sickness lightly. At your advanced age, something like this can take you out quickly! stick poke smiley

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Date: September 01, 2015 11:13AM
At your advanced age

How rude! I tell you what, tho, It sure has me feeling old...
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 01, 2015 12:51PM
Hey, feel better man! That sucks. You'll feel just dandy soon enough so let your body rest.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 01, 2015 07:26PM
DP
At your advanced age

How rude! I tell you what, tho, It sure has me feeling old...

Heh! Alls I got to say is, if you're older than me, then you're OLD! smiley-laughing001

But seriously, take care of that ammonia! (what we called it as kids) Even when you start to feel better, stay with the meds until your Doc tells you otherwise.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Date: September 01, 2015 08:42PM
Ya, will do, thx. Did get a little payin' work done today but am coughing more and I can feel a little gurgling when I breath. But ibuprofen and hookers and booze help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 268
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015