advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple DTK no longer $1,000 rental
Posted by: Silencio
Date: January 10, 2006 11:02PM
For those of you developers who shelled out the $1,000 for an Apple Developer Transition Kit despite Apple's insisting you'd have to send it back, you're still going to have to send it back. However, Apple will provide you with a lovely parting gift: a new 17" Dual Core iMac that's yours to keep. Nice little post-Xmas gift for the developers.

[developer.apple.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple DTK no longer $1,000 rental
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: January 10, 2006 11:22PM
Holey Schmoley!!
We get twelve new DualCore iMacs!
Our Apple rep said we were gonna be real happy when he comes to visit Thursday, I can see why now.
Our purchase rep is gonna eat a ton of crow tomorrow, he said my purchase order for thirty DTK machines was "excessive", and called my boss to tell him I was wasting money, even though at the time we thought we were gonna get all the money back.

BGnR
Thanks Silencio!
Posted by: endymion
Date: January 11, 2006 12:17AM
Shoot. If I'd known this, I would have done the devkit fer sure; saved myself shelling out for a PowerBook G4 a couple months ago... I *suspected* this would happen, but $1000 is a lot of money to gamble on a lease and a recompile. (Plus I had no compelling apps to develop or recompile, so I really couldn't justify not waiting... but then I had to use the developer discount fo the PowerBook.)

I came down to a choice: new 15" PowerBook G4 hi-res screen with my dev discount, or DTK, Mac mini with wireless, and a Nokia 770 tablet. I decided the PowerBook was a better bet given they'd just announced them a few weeks earlier and my 4 year old iBook screen was going.

Oh well.
g=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2006 12:50AM by endymion.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: January 11, 2006 01:32AM
Tell ya - that was an unexpected bonus! Cool deal - just saw the e-mail in my inbox from Apple. Did not expect that!

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 11, 2006 06:46AM
This is a GREAT thing that Apple has done.
Posted by: ADent
Date: January 11, 2006 06:39PM
Wow. The way Apple pisses off so many developers and such, its nice when they throw a bone to you guys every once in awhile.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 300
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018