advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Got to play with an iPad Pro
Posted by: DRR
Date: September 30, 2015 07:56AM
Apple brought some in to the office to demo. They did a relatively quick demo of talking points/features, and we got to play with about 10 of them. I used an iPP and the Pencil.

First impressions -
It's huge. You don't realize how big it is until you pick it up.
The screen is incredible. Absolutely incredible.
The Pencil is worth the price of admission. This is the first stylus that I've used that's done right. It works great, feels great in the hand, no lag, it starts drawing where you want it, where you expect it, to draw. Unlike other styluses I've used, where it begins to draw a few millimeters off from where you expect.
Hand/palm rejection when using the pencil worked without a hitch.
I mostly played with a sketching app, a 3D app (that I didn't really know how to use), a video editor, and the multitasking features of iOS9. It's fast. I couldn't get it to lag at all, and it has a LOT of pixels to push.
This is going to be a great tool for mobile video editors. The combination of speed, portability, and connectivity means you can edit on the go much easier. My only question is how is it going to handle files and transcoding.
The weight is a bit of a paradox - if you pick it up expecting it to be an iPad, it's much heavier. If you pick it up expecting it to be a computer, it's light.
There were a couple of keyboards also, I didn't play/demo with those at all.

I don't think I'll buy one, yet, at least. Hardware is beyond the capabilities of the software at this point. When the software matures it'll be a great machine. Similar to how when the original iPad came out everyone just said "it's just a big iPhone" but as software caught up to the capabilities of the larger machine, it made it much more powerful.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Got to play with an iPad Pro
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 30, 2015 08:11AM
My daughter, the full-on artist in the family, can hardly wait for this. Likely won't be able to get it initially ($$$) but hopefully in the coming year.

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 30, 2015 08:20AM
I am looking forward to see what photo retouching capabilities with certain apps will be. Would be great to be able to work on projects on the go. I wonder if it will be able to work 36mp d800 images though. yes, I am aware that I can work on a Macboom Pro for mobile computing but I want to use the Pencil and touch interface instead of a trackpad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2015 08:22AM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: September 30, 2015 08:42AM
pRICE cUBE
I am looking forward to see what photo retouching capabilities with certain apps will be. Would be great to be able to work on projects on the go. I wonder if it will be able to work 36mp d800 images though. yes, I am aware that I can work on a Macboom Pro for mobile computing but I want to use the Pencil and touch interface instead of a trackpad.

This to me is the achilles heel at this point - file i/o. There needs to be a more robust file management system if this is going to be a pro machine.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 30, 2015 09:20AM
Thanks for the great review! thumbs up

The iPP will be a real winner, IMO. I want one, but I have two older models already. I may have to gift the old iron and grab an iPP. The added screen real estate alone is reason enough to upgrade for my use.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: September 30, 2015 09:32AM
Oh last thing I forgot - the stereo speakers are quite nice. And they can get pretty loud too, unlike previous iPads.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 30, 2015 10:16AM
DRR
This to me is the achilles heel at this point - file i/o. There needs to be a more robust file management system if this is going to be a pro machine.

Didn't you know? Everything is stored in the Cloud now.

Posted by: steve...
Date: September 30, 2015 10:25AM
How does the pressure sensitivity compare to a Wacom tablet? Could you draw lines of varying thickness depending on stylus pressure?

Northern California Coast
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 30, 2015 10:53AM
thanks for the review.

I find this curious because, if it is truly aimed toward the professional, this would seem to be a return to the pro market in a relatively low-cost way (as MacBook Pros were at one time).
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 30, 2015 11:00AM
My wife teaches and gets her students' files via email in Word. She then does carriage returns to add extra lines where she makes her corrections (using her iMac). She would love it if the iPP would allow her to use an effective stylus, like the iPencil, to do her corrections in Word. She simply wants to save paper.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 30, 2015 11:58AM
steve...
How does the pressure sensitivity compare to a Wacom tablet? Could you draw lines of varying thickness depending on stylus pressure?

I use an intuos tablet daily and I have used the Cinitq for different types of retouching in the past, BUT I will caveat that I don't often have a need to use the pressure sensitivity very much because I don't have the need to draw with my tablets very often.

The Pencil does have pressure sensitivity and recognizes when you tilt and draw, but, how many levels of sensitivity, I have no idea. I can't tell the difference between 256 levels and 1028 levels personally, but I will say the Pencil works great.

Regarding the file i/o - it would seem to me that it would fit in a workflow better as a complement to an OSX based machine, not as a replacement. For example, pRICE shoots 3GB of files, transfers them to his computer, makes a couple of selects, and then airdrops it to his iPP. Then he can use the Pencil to make all the edits he needs. And I will say the Pencil is 100x better experience than the Wacom Cintiq.

When he's done editing his selects he can send them out or whatever. But I don't think the iPP is a suitable replacement for that first step. Not yet, anyway.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: September 30, 2015 03:24PM
Speaking of iPad Pro and teaching, Ethyl is a university professor, teaches some classes online which requires BlackBoard and a newer thingamabob they use for online classes. If, if, she can use iPad Pro to do work on BlackBoard, and especially the new one I canno' remember, I'll get her one. She canno' use her current iPad to post on BlackBoard, just view. Or some such thing she mentions that I don't have a clue wha' it is.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: September 30, 2015 05:14PM
DRR, what kind of work do you do?

Date: October 01, 2015 09:28AM
I'm in advertising.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: October 01, 2015 09:36AM
DRR
I'm in advertising.

Okay, cool. Thanks for the info regarding the IPP!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 276
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018