advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Welp. Wife's week-old iPhone 6s...
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 20, 2015 06:26AM
... hit the bathroom floor just "right" yesterday, and now has a cracked screen.

What are the options these days?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Welp. Wife's week-old iPhone 6s...
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: October 20, 2015 06:32AM
Will Collier

For starters, AppleCare or SquareTrade.

...Most of the mall screen-replacement places will not have the 6S screens yet, so get to the Apple Store. Last I checked, it was a $129 repair.

Posted by: robfilms
Date: October 20, 2015 07:14AM
Will Collier
... hit the bathroom floor just "right" yesterday, and now has a cracked screen.

will-

stuff happens ;-(

and i bet she feels worse.

and in nyc, you can easily spend $129 for a so-so meal.

money is relative.

(and what "relative" is more wonderful than a wife!!!)

be well.

rob
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 20, 2015 07:55AM
robfilms
Will Collier

will-

stuff happens ;-(

and i bet she feels worse.

and in nyc, you can easily spend $129 for a so-so meal.

money is relative.

(and what "relative" is more wonderful than a wife!!!)

be well.

rob

Nah. Money is money. Nobody gives it to you. He just has to suck it up and pay for it.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 20, 2015 08:01AM
Happens. That's why I get Applecare for portable devices.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 20, 2015 09:21AM
does your credit card have purchase protection? that might work.

...also, new rule - phone does not leave the store without case / screen cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2015 09:45AM by mattkime.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 20, 2015 09:30AM
Damn! Tough break.

Whenever anything like that happens to me, I always tell myself it could be a lot worse, take care of the hiccup, then move on.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: jardster
Date: October 20, 2015 09:50AM
Happened to me when I first got my iPhone 6- 1st week! I was looking for a case I liked and hadn't found one yet. My 5 year old dropped it (don't get me started, I didn't give it to him, it was on the counter and he was playing with it) and broke the screen. Took it to my local Apple store and explained what happened.... they gave me a new one for free- and I bought their case on the spot. Not sure why they didn't charge me the usual $129, but I always appreciate it.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 20, 2015 10:45AM
mattkime

i always buy expensive items, particularly electronic ones, with my Amex card for 90 days worth of purchase protection and over the years it has been well worth it. i recently discovered that another card had purchase protection but their claim process was not as customer friendly as Amex.

and while i always get a case ASAP, i also believe in Squaretrade or AppleCare coverage for smartphones. they are too pricey for me to fix out of pocket when accidents occur past the 90 days.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 20, 2015 11:02AM
One of my better screw ups was how my wife ended up with an iPhone to begin with. I washed her old Nokia. I needed to make amends in a hurry.

Good news dear...your phone is squeaky clean. Bad news dear...I lied about the squeaky part. It's more squishy...But here's a new iPhone to make you forget how stupid I am...

To be fair, we found out that her sister and brother-in-law had bed bugs after we visited them so we stripped down to our skivvies in the back yard and put all the clothing, sleeping bags, pillows etc. into plastic bags...let them sit in the 110° sun for 2 days then dumped them into the washer. We completely forgot about the phone in her pocket. It was probably cooked before it was washed.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 20, 2015 11:36AM
ztirffritz , what a story!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 20, 2015 11:51AM
That sucks.

mattkime

Good suggestion.

mattkime

Good advice. My ordered a case for my new 6s even before I ordered the phone. I think the need for a screen protector is debatable, though.

It is what it is.
Date: October 20, 2015 11:52AM
graylocks
i recently discovered that another card had purchase protection but their claim process was not as customer friendly as Amex.

No one's is. Amex is king in this regard.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2015 11:53AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 20, 2015 11:58AM
ztirffritz
To be fair, we found out that her sister and brother-in-law had bed bugs after we visited them so we stripped down to our skivvies in the back yard and put all the clothing, sleeping bags, pillows etc. into plastic bags...let them sit in the 110° sun for 2 days then dumped them into the washer. We completely forgot about the phone in her pocket. It was probably cooked before it was washed.

your wife must not have a handheld device addiction problem like the rest of us. i can't go more than 2 minutes without knowing where my phone is much less 2 days!

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 20, 2015 12:07PM
graylocks
ztirffritz

your wife must not have a handheld device addiction problem like the rest of us. i can't go more than 2 minutes without knowing where my phone is much less 2 days!

It was years ago. She got one of the original models of iPhone. Back then, cell phones were something you endured, rather than took pleasure in using.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 20, 2015 12:35PM
1) Order a better case if you have one/ order a case if you don't. Search here for personal recommendations from various members.

2) get number one done ASAP.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 20, 2015 01:13PM
A friend's wife's iphone6S took a bath in the toilet the second day. Survived however!
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 20, 2015 01:26PM
Thanks, all.

Sadly, I had a brain-fart and didn't use my Amex for these. So off to the Apple Store we go...
Posted by: Kate
Date: October 20, 2015 03:28PM
My 6+ had a crack, not huge and pretty clean, but it bugged me. I have Applecare, took it in this week. The Apple guy looked at it, said that it was pretty obvious the phone had not been abused, he couldn't find anything on the case that even showed if it had been dropped. So, wow! He said they would replace the screen and not charge me!

Kate
Date: October 20, 2015 04:16PM
sekker
A friend's wife's iphone6S took a bath in the toilet the second day. Survived however!

[www.macrumors.com]

It is what it is.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 21, 2015 01:09AM
I wouldn't trust a mall screen to be as good as an Apple screen.

ztirffritz

Two days in your skivvies! That's dedication. I would have tossed them in the washer with some bleach.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018