advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Time Machine — want to avoid meltdown (er, another meltdown)
Posted by: dmag
Date: October 27, 2015 01:37AM
Without going into mind-numbing detail, I'm trying to back up the external drive I'm right now booting from. It has about 900GB of data and runs Mavericks.

The external is now the only source of my data in an OS other than El Capitan and I need to back it up.

I also have another 900 GB on the internal, which runs El Capitan and won't boot. I'm downgrading to Yosemite so all this data will be zapped once the restore happens. I have a Yosemite installer on a thumb drive.

Time Machine is backing up both, about 1.8 TB.

If I reformat the internal, will Time Machine recognize it has no data and just move on to backing up the external?

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2015 01:40AM by dmag.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Time Machine — want to avoid meltdown (er, another meltdown)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 27, 2015 06:17AM
As I understand it, you're backing up 2 disks but will erase one of them, the internal. Seems like you could exclude it from the backup, yes?

It's been several years since I've done it, but recall once restoring an entire disk from TM onto a blank drive using the installer.
Date: October 27, 2015 06:30AM
Hi Deckeda,

Thanks for the reply. I had forgotten about the exclude feature. I added the internal to the exclude list and the backup stopped.

When I initiated the backup again there was only half the amount of the last one. If all goes well that will save me a lot of hours and bring this thing to a happy conclusion.

Thanks.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: October 27, 2015 08:35AM
Maybe you said in a earlier post, but which Mac are you using, and why won't El Capitan boot?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: October 27, 2015 08:44AM
MBP.

No idea why it won't boot. The initial install was uneventful, except that i noticed the spinning beachball more often.

Then, on a restart I got a progress bar that never progressed. Ran Disk Utility and Disk Warrior, everything reported ok. Wouldn't even boot to safe mode. Apple support suggested downloading the OS again, which I did and it was okay for a couple of days. Then, another empty progress bar.

That's when the idea to back down to Yosemite came up.

Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018