advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If another doctor asks for my SS#...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 27, 2015 12:20PM
Went with my son to a new doctor today. They asked for my SS# three times !

I left it blank! They have no legal requirement to collect that! How many other people give that up ? Annoying !!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If another doctor asks for my SS#...
Posted by: billb
Date: October 27, 2015 12:29PM
Why should the OPM hackers be the only ones with your SS# and health records ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 27, 2015 12:34PM
cbelt3
Went with my son to a new doctor today. They asked for my SS# three times !

I left it blank! They have no legal requirement to collect that! How many other people give that up ? Annoying !!

You're lucky...
I declined to give my SS# when setting up as a new patient.
Their reply was "then we can't accept you as a patient.. goodbye".
I relented. Unhappily.

The doctor also asked "do you have any firearms in the house?" as part of their questionaire. I did SMILE when I said "None of your damn business, but I know you're required to ask".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 27, 2015 12:41PM
....can you ask them if they will take a date....instead......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 27, 2015 12:47PM
Paul F- sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. They cannot legally force you to do that .
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 27, 2015 12:55PM
cbelt3
Paul F- sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. They cannot legally force you to do that .

I know... but being the only provider in my area that accepts my insurance, I folded like a cheap suit.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 27, 2015 01:14PM
Pepper Potts: What's your social security number?
Tony Stark: Five...

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 27, 2015 01:42PM
You did the right thing. The only thing they want it for is to give to a collection agency if you didn't pay a bill.

Clark Howard advises never giving any more financial information to a doctor's office or hospital than you absolutely have to (which means, credit card number when making a payment, and nothing else). The data security in most of those offices is next to nonexistent.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 27, 2015 02:09PM
cbelt3

Good luck with that.

It is what it is.
Posted by: jardster
Date: October 27, 2015 02:32PM
I stopped asking for SS# years ago. I haven't see an insurance company that still uses it... except Medicare!!

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: October 27, 2015 03:02PM
Old jard got it. Once ye get to geezer hood and Medicare, it's over boys. SS number is ye Medicare card number.

But, hey, asking if I have guns!?! Knuckahaids. Our ancestors had America to come to. Where can we go?

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: October 27, 2015 03:22PM
I wonder if you could give a wrong ss#? Can they check it and if so I wonder how many do?

JoeM
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 27, 2015 03:26PM
so give them a number with a transposed digit. If it is ever brought up, claim it must have been a mistake.

as for the gun question - Florida made it illegal for a doctor to ask that as being to invasive (but they require pregnant woman to have a Transvaginal ultrasound as if that isn't invasive!)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 27, 2015 03:41PM
Ombligo
so give them a number with a transposed digit. If it is ever brought up, claim it must have been a mistake.

I have alwyas wondered about that, although never tried it. I suppose it would work if you transposed the same number all the time.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 27, 2015 04:59PM
I use my foreign accent and I say that I don't have one yet. if they insist, I say I am working on a special visa and I don't have to get SSN. But most of the time, I just don't give it out and the doctors are fine with that.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: October 27, 2015 05:47PM
My dad was totally against giving his SS# out to anyone.
He said that your SS# is between you and the SS administration and that's IT.
He was hard-headed and had lots of go-'rounds with doctor's offices and banking institutions.
I admired him for it, and fight it whenever I can, but I usually cave. He didn't.
If I remember correctly, it's even stated quite clearly on the backs of OLD SS cards. The new ones don't say it.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: fauch
Date: October 27, 2015 06:01PM
Why do they care if you have a gun? Are they worried you will go postal on them if you have to wait too long?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 27, 2015 06:13PM
fauch
Why do they care if you have a gun?

Busybodies...
Posted by: m.paris
Date: October 27, 2015 06:30PM
If I recall correctly (always an iffy thing these days) I think that they cannot force you to divulge your SSN. BUT, they are not required to offer their services to you if you refuse.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: October 27, 2015 07:05PM
m.paris
If I recall correctly (always an iffy thing these days) I think that they cannot force you to divulge your SSN. BUT, they are not required to offer their services to you if you refuse.

Bingo!

Most of the time, if a clerk is poised to turn you away for refusing to volunteer your SS#, it's because there's some data-entry requirement and not because the physician won't provide services without a SS#.

So, next time this comes up, ask whether you can provide some alternate number for filing purposes. I did that once and the clerk just punched in a string of 9s and 1s and let me be.

You could probably make up a number to get through with minimal hassle, but I'd be concerned that this could be construed as fraudulent.

Posted by: Wags
Date: October 27, 2015 10:02PM
CJsNvrUrly
My dad was totally against giving his SS# out to anyone.
He said that your SS# is between you and the SS administration and that's IT.
He was hard-headed and had lots of go-'rounds with doctor's offices and banking institutions.
I admired him for it, and fight it whenever I can, but I usually cave. He didn't.
If I remember correctly, it's even stated quite clearly on the backs of OLD SS cards. The new ones don't say it.

I've still got my original SS card from the 60's. Cleary says NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION. Looks like this:

They stopped putting it on them in 1972. However, things have changed over the years. Here's a little history [www.nytimes.com]
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 28, 2015 06:26AM
My college still used SSNs for your student ID when I was in school. It was everywhere.

Of course, that was 25 years ago...
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: October 28, 2015 07:34AM
We didn't need SSNs in our medical office, and didn't keep them—except for Medicare patients, as that's their MC number. We didn't store charge-card numbers, either.

Had to get a new Bank of America credit card to keep my Amtrak Guest Rewards card (for some reason, Amtrak and Chase parted company), and had to give my SSN.

When my kids were in college, the schools all wanted their SSNs. As did the government, on its FAFSA forms.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: October 28, 2015 10:25AM
Just a thought... Everyone willingly gives up tons of personal information every day by using credit cards, cell phones, email, Facebook, Google search, Amazon, Netflix, grocery store "discount" cards, etc, etc, etc. How is this any more intrusive?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 28, 2015 10:57AM
Wags,

The consequences of having your SS# compromised in itself are far more serious than if, say, a fraudster gets much of the info you listed. Combine the SS# with other information and it can be disastrous.

Robert
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 28, 2015 02:57PM
Will Collier
My college still used SSNs for your student ID when I was in school. It was everywhere.

Same here, but we might have gone to the same school. I find old school stuff every now and then with my "student ID" on it and is is clearly my SS#.
Heck, it used to be printed on the top of my checks and was also my GA Driver's License number. GA finally changed that about 10-15 years ago, I think.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: October 28, 2015 03:12PM
Apparently it's not too hard to get ahold of someone's ss#

[www.google.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 28, 2015 03:17PM
Will Collier

It wasn't until I got to college that I memorized my SSN, due to the fact that I had to provide it so often.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 28, 2015 04:07PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Will Collier

It wasn't until I got to college that I memorized my SSN, due to the fact that I had to provide it so often.

For about the first 20 years I worked at GM your SSN was your employee ID number. Transfer to a new department? "What's yer sosch?" Want to put in for vacation time? "What's yer sosch?" Need to go to first aid station? "Sign in with yer sosch." The supervisor hands you your paycheck, SSN stamped on the check and stub.

They finally got wise and issued everyone an employee ID# to replace the madness.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018