advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
connecting usb hard drive to airport extreme
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: November 08, 2015 01:44PM
we have a mbp-r running yosemite, an apple tv2 connected wirelessly, an older airport extreme and a seagate plus 4tb external drive.

is it feasible to connect the seagate drive to our airport extreme via usb2 so that we can stream movies from the external drive through our apple tv 2, do wireless backups through time machine and allow network users access to the contents of the seagate drive?

is there anything more involved in setting up the hard drive than what's shown here? do those instructions show the current best practice.

will there wireless time machine backup be reasonably quick?

with home sharing enabled in our mbp, will we be able to access the movies on the external drive from the atv2? will a wired connection to the atv2 make a significant difference in streaming moving?

any tricks i need to know or problems to anticipate? am i missing anything?

tia!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: connecting usb hard drive to airport extreme
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 08, 2015 01:59PM
I didn't do anything showed in your link, except plug in a USB HD (SSD).

I may have to go back and redo the setup, as the last time I did this (the same way) I had permissions errors and couldn't access a lot of the files when I moved the drive directly to a Mac.

My WiFi won't let me stream most video. So I move a file if need be, but it's slow. I use the disk mainly for documents and some pics.

I've considered putting my iTunes library on it as well. I assume audio will stream fine, but just haven't tried it.

My AEBS is one of the last flat ones, maybe second to the last- dual, simultaneous 5GHz/2.4GHz.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 08, 2015 05:46PM
Good man,

The problem you'll likely face is with the drive itself. I tried a Seagate GoFlex Desk external with an AirPort Extreme and it was a disaster. The drive spinned down and disconnected and refused to mount again since it was designed to be connected to a computer, not a router. I contacted Seagate about the issue and they wouldn't offer any help because they don't support using the drive this way.

Robert
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 09, 2015 08:23AM
Be aware that you cannot use a USB port with Time Machine. The drive must be connected directly (so no multiple HD's or HD and USB Printer). I've also had better luck with AC powered HD's when hooking up to an Airport.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: November 09, 2015 09:04AM
looks like i need to go with something like this. any other suggestions or recommendations for a similar drive?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 237
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018