advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Drano? Liquid Plumber? or am I just throwing money down the drain?
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 09, 2015 05:02PM
I have a bathroom sink that drains very slow. I don't have time to properly deal with it for a few more weeks. I plan to take the P-trap out, see if that is the problem, if not snake it. Never did that before, but I think I can do it.

Until that time comes, should I try some of these products that claim to unclog drains? which one? There is one called Liquid Plumber, and I think the other one I have seen is Drano (not sure if that's how it is spelled). Which one is better?

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Drano? Liquid Plumber? or am I just throwing money down the drain?
Posted by: billb
Date: November 09, 2015 05:21PM
If you have a knife in the P-trap that is collecting hair and goop, drano might clean the goop and hair off the knife ......
If it's grease and fat it might remove a layer ...

Usually a temp fix at best ....

edit: knife would be kitchen sink

bathroom p-trap is usually make-up stuff and toys.
or if you're lucky just hair.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 09, 2015 05:36PM
For our bathroom sink, I just unscrew the stopper rod on the pipe so I can pull out the stopper. It's usually clogged with all sorts of goop. Clear it out, reassemble and good to go. Take 5 -10 minutes.

Posted by: rgG
Date: November 09, 2015 05:47PM
bazookaman
For our bathroom sink, I just unscrew the stopper rod on the pipe so I can pull out the stopper. It's usually clogged with all sorts of goop. Clear it out, reassemble and good to go. Take 5 -10 minutes.

This.

Be prepared to feel ready to barf at the black greasy gooey hair/gunk that will come out. Super disgusting but it is usually what is causing the problem.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 09, 2015 05:49PM

I start with this.

If it still runs slow, I use Liquid Plumber, and it makes a big difference.

I'd say any fix is temporary unless you change what does down the drain, and that's not always possible. No grease down the drain, ever.

I don't use Drain-O.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 09, 2015 05:50PM
They make some mini drain snakes that look like a giant zip tie with a handle. Perfect for bathroom sinks. The last one I bought was like $4 at Ace.

Lots of varieties out there....just one example:

[www.walmart.com]

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 09, 2015 05:57PM
First thing I try is a big pot of boiling water. After that Draino or liquid plumber GEL. I let it sit for an hour or two. I do this every 3 months or so.

Yes, I can take it apart, but it isn't as easy as I get less flexible.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 09, 2015 06:06PM
I'll second the BOILING water. That will melt congealed grease / fat (yes, bathroom drains can have both) which bonds the hair into a drain blocking plug. You may want / need to follow up with a second boiling water flush.

A ZipIt is also a handy and inexpensive drain clearing tool to have at hand.

[zipitclean.com]
Date: November 09, 2015 06:20PM
Oh, for the record. One of the most crucial things I keep around the house is a box or 2 of the XL nitrile gloves you can buy at Costco/Sams/Wal-Mart/Harbor Freight, etc. Nitrile, not latex. Far more chemical resistant, and tear resistant. You still get pretty good tactile feeling too.

Use when cooking like mixing home-made ground sausage or meatloaf. Don't get stuff ground in under your nails. Painting, plumbing, car repair, resealing a driveway or roof, first aid, darn near anything. (condoms for pets?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 06:33PM by Racer X.
Posted by: fauch
Date: November 09, 2015 06:25PM
I find draino is too weak to actually do anything. Pure Sodium Hydroxide (lye) can work better, but it is a NASTY substance that you do not want anywhere near your skin...

Usually either cleaning or snaking are the most effective methods. I second the boiling water though.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 09, 2015 06:29PM
The boiling water might work, but you really need to pull that nasty crap out of there. It won't take but a minute and then you can see that it is clean.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: November 09, 2015 06:36PM
Drano works. It's simple chemistry: Sodium hydroxide (NaOH).

I would also suggest a plunger in combination with Drano and hot water, if you can get one over the drain of your bathroom sink. Wear gloves and eye protection.

Date: November 09, 2015 06:36PM
With the boiling water used before pulling it apart, you can now successfully lie to that tiny part of your brain buried way down deep, that you killed anything that was actually alive in there, and it is now safe to take apart. I find that helpful. smiley12
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 09, 2015 07:06PM
fauch
I find draino is too weak to actually do anything. Pure Sodium Hydroxide (lye) can work better, but it is a NASTY substance that you do not want anywhere near your skin...

Not to mention your eyes.

It is what it is.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 09, 2015 07:16PM
N-OS X-tasy!
fauch

Not to mention your eyes.

Goggles...

I saw "Red Devil Lye" at my local Walmart neighborhood market recently. I was kind of surprised. This has turned into a somewhat restricted substance because it's apparently something one needs to cook with. You can get it, but you have to ask for it restricted. But at Walmart, it's right there on the shelves.
Date: November 09, 2015 07:32PM
Where else can you pull your RV up to so you can resupply your meth lab? Who else has that kind of parking?
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 09, 2015 07:35PM
Actually it was easier than I thought.

I boiled an 8 L pot of water, I took the opportunity I to stick my Weber digital thermometer to make sure it reads accurately (it does, it shows 100.2C) and then wearing oven mittens I carried it to the bathroom and poured into the sink. I think it helped a little bit, not much.

Then used the plunger (yes, it is tricky to plunge at some angle since the faucet spot does not move), but I was able to dislodge whatever was in there (it looked nasty, it smelled nasty) and after about 5 minutes with plunger, the drain works better than it ever did. I did try the plunger before (last time it clogged), but I think this time the combo of boiling water and plunger worked better.

I cleaned up the sink, it should be good for a while until I manage to take apart the P-Trap for a proper cleaning. I may to that when I exchange the faucet in the next few months.
Posted by: jh
Date: November 09, 2015 08:05PM
Years ago a plumber told me to pour on a regular basis (can't remember what "regular" time period he mentioned) a cup of bleach into your drains to get rid of the soap residue as it is what helps collect junk and stuff coming down your drain. YMMD.

Ditto on the zip thing.

Be careful about using lye. Neighbor used in on a glavanzied drain pipe and it ate a hole in it.
Posted by: artie67
Date: November 09, 2015 08:15PM
freeradical, I've used lye in curing of olives. You can also use salt. Turned out well and nobody wanted them. The same thing happened when we made 2 gallons of kimchi in a sun-tea jar. Tasted good, but nobody cared. Tried chili power from excess chilies and same results. I think I'll post a freebee on the free items side for the chili power, shame to go to waste.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 09, 2015 08:51PM
This is what I use. It is cheaper than Liquid Plumber and seems to work better as well.
Posted by: BobC
Date: November 09, 2015 09:25PM
I use a couple of non-chemical tactics, and one that's mildly chemical.
The nitrile gloves are a must, since you'll need to put your hands in/on stuff that's not pleasant.

I start with a Zip-It, as testcase recommended. Run it down each of the (usually) 4 quadrants of the stopper, then work it up slowly. Repeat, for as long as there's hair coming up or you can stand it.

Next it's a plunger. I have a separate sink plunger to avoid other folks' "ewww" factor, and I also block the drain vent hole to increase the air pressure effect. I close the drain, then plug the drain vent hole with an old wine cork wrapped in Saran Wrap (since I'm too cheap to buy an exact-fit stopper). I run water into the sink until it's a few inches deep, then shut off the tap. I open the drain and immediately cover it with the plunger and start plunging. If you put a lot of oomph into the upstroke, and let the plunger-to-sink seal break a little after each of those, pretty soon you'll be pulling up lots of pipe-wall crud. Some water will go down the drain, but try to keep pulling up as much as you can. The water in the sink may start to look like the devil's cornflakes, with all those black pieces floating around. Once you've got it good and disgusting, close the drain again so that crud doesn't go back down. Bail out the dirty water into the toilet (I use an old yogurt container - again, cheap). Repeat until you're not harvesting much new crud.

To ratchet up the clog-clearing in a less-toxic way, try baking soda then vinegar after the Zip-It step. Mix up a sludge of baking soda & water, and pour it into the drain. Let it sit a few minutes. Insert the drain vent plug. Then pour straight vinegar in, close the drain, and let the bubbling progress for a while. The pressure might push the vent plug out, but try to keep it in. The frothing can physically loosen some of the blockage, so your next plunging stage can be more productive.
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: November 09, 2015 09:44PM
what would y'all recommend for a kitchen drain with a disposer in it? are there enzymes that are effective?
Posted by: Black
Date: November 09, 2015 09:47PM
I keep a couple of these hanging from the back of the bathroom door. Quick and easy.
Should be able to find for half the price.
[www.acehardware.com]

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 09:47PM by Black.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 09, 2015 10:23PM
artie67
freeradical, I've used lye in curing of olives. You can also use salt. Turned out well and nobody wanted them. The same thing happened when we made 2 gallons of kimchi in a sun-tea jar. Tasted good, but nobody cared. Tried chili power from excess chilies and same results. I think I'll post a freebee on the free items side for the chili power, shame to go to waste.

I didn't know that lye was used for this. I believe it's also used to make hominy.

However, most people who buy it today - for legal purposes - are probably making soap.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 09, 2015 10:55PM
Am glad everyone else finds the drain offerings yucky too...

=wr=
Posted by: fauch
Date: November 10, 2015 04:41AM
artie67

I've mainly used it to make poster glue (I used to be the guy that the "POST NO BILLS" signs were talking to). Flour, water and lye.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: November 10, 2015 10:01AM
This - if you do your bathroom sinks once a month or so with it, you will be disgusted with what comes out -but the drain will run freely!

Markintosh
They make some mini drain snakes that look like a giant zip tie with a handle. Perfect for bathroom sinks. The last one I bought was like $4 at Ace.

Lots of varieties out there....just one example:

[www.walmart.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 254
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018