Date: November 19, 2015 02:25PM
Was Neil ever this young? 26 yo Young sings Old Man live for BBC

[www.youtube.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Old man, Neil Young sings Old Man as a young man
Posted by: Black
Date: November 19, 2015 02:42PM
Pete Zereeah 4 days ago
He's a polarizing guy. I've known people who absolutely cringe at the sound of his singing, and I've known people who would travel 600 miles to hear him. I don't know of another act like that.....except maybe Willie Nelson

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: rexs
Date: November 19, 2015 03:09PM
My old room mate and I had an agreement, he wouldn't play the Grateful Dead when I was home and I wouldn't play Neil Young when he was home. We got along just fine as a result.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 19, 2015 03:33PM
Black
Pete Zereeah 4 days ago
He's a polarizing guy. I've known people who absolutely cringe at the sound of his singing, and I've known people who would travel 600 miles to hear him. I don't know of another act like that.....except maybe Willie Nelson

I'll take Willie, not Neil. But maybe I just don't like Neil's songs.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 19, 2015 04:21PM
rexs
My old room mate and I had an agreement, he wouldn't play the Grateful Dead when I was home and I wouldn't play Neil Young when he was home. We got along just fine as a result.

Ha! That is me, too! (although I never had a deadhead as a roomie)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 19, 2015 04:27PM
LOL.. my college roommate and I had a similar arrangement. He wouldn't play his Frank Zappa albums, and I wouldn't throw his Frank Zappa albums off the balcony.

(yes, albums, and I know I just dated myself)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: hal
Date: November 19, 2015 04:33PM
Ombligo
LOL.. my college roommate and I had a similar arrangement. He wouldn't play his Frank Zappa albums, and I wouldn't throw his Frank Zappa albums off the balcony.

My first college roommate was my introduction to Zappa - FOREVER grateful!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 19, 2015 04:38PM
heh... my roomates threatened me with death whenever I played my Leon Redbone album. So I'd only play it when I was angry at them. I still have that album. My kids hate it. My wife doesn't like it either.

And I'm in the 'rather listen to Neil than Willie ' camp. Something about his voice. But I will listen to Willie.

I've even listened to David Grohl's singalong band...

Posted by: BernDog
Date: November 19, 2015 04:48PM
Not a Neil guy myself, but aside from that, I'm struck by the quality of that video. Not much live music footage from that era that looks anywhere near that good.

As far as roommates' music goes, I had a real doozy my sophomore year. My roommate had a 5 disc carousel that was permanently filled with Van Halen. He HAD to fall asleep to it every night.

Oh, and Willie ALL the way!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 19, 2015 05:40PM
BernDog
Not a Neil guy myself, but aside from that, I'm struck by the quality of that video. Not much live music footage from that era that looks anywhere near that good.

I think it's film. He overpowered the mic in this version and there is way more reverb than I would have chosen. A slightly better audio balance/capture on a record company 'official' channel (WB, Vef03k5i8VI), but the video is like 240p.

I have only had one roommate where I couldn't fully appreciate his taste in music. Neil over Willie. I might own one Willie album (might have been given one, I wouldn't have bought it). I think I have three Neil (not counting other bands). I would choose Zappa over Grateful Dead about 90% of the time.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: November 19, 2015 05:49PM
I've seen that one before. Those English and German music shows made the American shows look like home movies. I have an arrangement here, too--No Neil, Willie, GD, RS, Who, or Doors. If you can't handle Zappa, Beefheart, Gentle Giant, Gong, and King Crimson, don't come over, lol.
Date: November 19, 2015 06:33PM
I have never owned either a Neil or a Willie album. Weird how that became an either/or....But I hope to see Neil again.

Posted by: wurm
Date: November 19, 2015 07:22PM
Black
Pete Zereeah 4 days ago

Willie's right up there (or is it down there?) with Bob Dylan. Although if push came to shove, I might actually listen to a Dylan song or two.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 19, 2015 08:17PM
Ombligo

CDs are 'albums', too. 'Album' is a generic term: LP record albums, CD albums, photo albums. . .

A common error. Just one I feel impelled to correct. old fogey smiley

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 19, 2015 08:55PM
I'm a huge fan of Neil Young, Willie, and Dylan.
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: November 19, 2015 09:31PM
like my momma says, "there's just no countin' for taste."
Posted by: davester
Date: November 19, 2015 10:47PM
Thanks for that hal, it truly illustrates what an incredible talent Neil was and is. His songs go straight to the heart.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: November 20, 2015 08:26AM
mrlynn
Ombligo

CDs are 'albums', too. 'Album' is a generic term: LP record albums, CD albums, photo albums. . .

/Mr Lynn

I generally refer to CDs as "records." Which makes sense, as CD is analogous to LP, which are most often referred to as records.

Date: November 20, 2015 08:39AM
Uncle Wig
mrlynn
Ombligo

/Mr Lynn

I generally refer to CDs as "records." Which makes sense, as CD is analogous to LP, which are most often referred to as records.
I guess that's better than calling everything "tapes."

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 20, 2015 10:03AM
I really enjoyed that! Thanks! thumbs up

I like Neil's music. IMO, easier to listen to than some of the other names listed above.

Was this during his heroin days? Looks to be in the early seventies. Anyone know?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 20, 2015 10:54AM
Young's real strengths are his tunes (composing) and his lyrics. Like Dylan and Nelson fans, you have to make concessions for his singing voice; although he can carry a tune better than Dylan (or Johnny Cash)*.

*listen at around 2:42; cringeworthy
[www.youtube.com]
Date: November 20, 2015 12:07PM
DeusxMac
Young's real strengths are his tunes (composing) and his lyrics. Like Dylan and Nelson fans, you have to make concessions for his singing voice; although he can carry a tune better than Dylan (or Johnny Cash)*.

*listen at around 2:42; cringeworthy
[www.youtube.com]
That's been my overall impression too, but his singing and voice are top-notch in the video in the OP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2015 12:08PM by Black.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 20, 2015 06:42PM
Rick-o

I like Neil's music. IMO, easier to listen to than some of the other names listed above.

Was this during his heroin days? Looks to be in the early seventies. Anyone know?

Info with the clip says recorded Feb. 1971.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 20, 2015 07:53PM
JoeH
Rick-o

Info with the clip says recorded Feb. 1971.

Ah! I didn't see that. Thank you.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 253
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018