advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
weird finder problem in older machine
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: December 07, 2015 08:59AM
c2d macbook, 1.83 ghz, 2 gb ram, 320 gb hd, over 150 mb free, running os 10.6.8. the machine has worked well for probably more years than we deserve. it has recently started manifesting a really strange problem which renders it is almost unusable.

in the finder, the pointer arrow appears to be “stuck” such that it selects every item below an intentionally selected item and will not “let go” of the selected items until another finder window is selected, then the whole thing starts over again in that newly selected window. the same thing happens when the pointer is in a window bar—it drags the window wherever the pointer is. sometimes, when it selects the items below the selected item it appears to spontaneously open all the selected items in new windows. the pointer sometime "sticks" on a volume shown in the finder sidebar, such that moving the pointer drags that volume item around the desktop. sometimes pressing the escape key gets the pointer unstuck.

also, the pointer arrow acts as though it is being clicked such that on the desktop it draws boxes in whatever space the pointer moves, even behind open windows.

i thought that the problem was in the trackpad, but i get more-or-less the same results when i use an apple usb mouse.

i'll appreciate any assistance.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: weird finder problem in older machine
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 07, 2015 09:08AM
Have you tried booting into safe mode and see if the problem exists there?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: December 07, 2015 09:11AM
goodmanx
i thought that the problem was in the trackpad, but i get more-or-less the same results when i use an apple usb mouse.

Might not be a solution but my mom had a similar problem on her older macbook. It was hard to isolate b/c it did it with any peripheral. But it turned out to be her trackpad. B/c even if there is a mouse connected, the bad trackpad is still connected too and causing trouble. Kind of like leaving a bad HD in your machine and booting from an external.

Anyway, I got a cheap replacement off ebay and followed the instructions on ifixit and replaced her trackpad and it was good as new.

Posted by: mstudio
Date: December 07, 2015 09:18AM
bazookaman
goodmanx
i thought that the problem was in the trackpad, .
B/c even if there is a mouse connected, the bad trackpad is still connected too and causing trouble. Kind of like leaving a bad HD in your machine and booting from an external.

Let's not forget the bulging battery possible issue. Try taking the battery out to see if the problem still exists.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: December 07, 2015 10:05AM
mstudio
bazookaman
goodmanx
i thought that the problem was in the trackpad, .
B/c even if there is a mouse connected, the bad trackpad is still connected too and causing trouble. Kind of like leaving a bad HD in your machine and booting from an external.

Let's not forget the bulging battery possible issue. Try taking the battery out to see if the problem still exists.

True. I did rule that out on my mom's machine.

Posted by: space-time
Date: December 07, 2015 07:11PM
friend had a similar problem with a 2010 unibody plastic machine, she had to replace the trackpad.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 07, 2015 07:49PM
Drag lock on?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 07:50PM by Onamuji.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 261
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018