advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Surprise your Jewish friends with Hanukkah Latke Waffles!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 07, 2015 12:52PM

Here==> [smittenkitchen.com]

Latke Waffles
I used my standard latke recipe to start, but found it benefited from an extra egg and a spoonful of extra flour to make the mixture more batter-y for the waffle maker. Black pepper makes it more breakfast-y. I began adding baking powder to my latkes a couple years ago, on a tip from Melissa Clark — it gives them an extra lift that I love. The trickiest part is getting these crisp; waffle irons are giant steam traps, and given how much potatoes steam when they cook, I found I got a more crisp edge after toasting them gently in the oven. This also give you the ability to keep them warm while you cook off the batter, and make some eggs and/or bacon (what?) to go on top.

Yield: In my waffle maker, this recipe yielded 3 8-by-10-inch waffles, which break up into 18 smaller rectangles, which I’d say serves 4 to 6.

2 large or 4 medium (2 pounds) Russet or baking potato, peeled
1 medium onion (about 6 to 8 ounces), peeled
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons table or fine sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
Nonstick spray, for waffle iron
2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped, for garnish (totally optional)

Heat oven to 350. Lightly oil a large baking sheet and set aside.

In a food processor or on a box grater, coarsely shred the potato and onion. For longer strands, lay the potato sideways in the chute of your food processor. Transfer grated mixture to a bowl lined with a fuzz-free dishcloth (linen is great here) or cheesecloth. Pull up the sides of the cloth, forming a bag of grated ingredients, and twist it until you’ve squeezed out all of the excess liquid. Let stand for 1 to 2 minutes, then squeeze out one more time.

Discard the liquid in the bowl, then add wrung-out shredded potato and onion to it. Sprinkle baking powder, salt and several grinds of black pepper over mixture and stir with a fork until it distributes throughout the shreds. Add flour, and again, stir into the potato-onion mixture until the pieces are evenly coated. Crack eggs on top; use your fork to break up the yolks and stir them so that they’re evenly distributed through the batter.

Heat your waffle iron to high heat. Once hot, coat lightly with a nonstick spray. Heap some latke mixture on top and spread it into an even layer. Cook until the latkes are a nice, deep golden brown underneath. (I found that the bottom colors better than the top, but you’ll even this out in the oven.)

Transfer to oiled baking sheet, paler side down, and place in warmed oven. Continue with remaining latke batter. Keep latke waffles in oven until crisp (about 5 to 10 minutes), or until all the other parts of your meal are ready.

Serve with applesauce or sour cream, latke-style, or breakfast-style with eggs. Sour cream is pretty good with the eggs, too. Chives make it pretty.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Surprise your Jewish friends with Hanukkah Latke Waffles!
Date: December 07, 2015 01:40PM
Upon consideration, I think after making them in the waffle iron, if you put them into a frying pan with oil to finish them off would yield a crispier, more thoroughly cooked product.
The author's recipe is not necessarily the final word in cooking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 01:40PM by Steve G..
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 07, 2015 01:56PM
The kitchen gets so messy from the oil that this method is attractive
Date: December 07, 2015 02:03PM
mrbigstuff

Between the onions and the oil, I'm still airing out the place days after.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 07, 2015 02:54PM
why not? looks tasty!
Posted by: jardster
Date: December 07, 2015 03:01PM
Steve G.
mrbigstuff

Airing it out? I love that the smell lingers for days... Made 60 or so last night and will have to do the same tomorrow..... mmmmmmm.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 07, 2015 03:10PM
G, that looks interesting. Verrry interesting. We fired up a small deep fryer the other day and had a good 'ol Hillbilly time eating various horrible for us fried foods. The topper was deep fried hot dogs, which were surprisingly good, per mrs. cbelt3. I didn't eat one.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 07, 2015 03:26PM
jardster
Steve G.
mrbigstuff

Airing it out? I love that the smell lingers for days... Made 60 or so last night and will have to do the same tomorrow..... mmmmmmm.

Kitchen, dining room, and maybe even the living room, yes; but when the smell migrates into your bed linen and clothes closets, that's TOO much! eye twitch smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 03:27PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: December 07, 2015 04:00PM
If the house doesn't smell like cabbage or onions it's not home.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 07, 2015 05:41PM
My preparing any kind of food offering would surprise my Jewish friends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 05:41PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: December 07, 2015 06:53PM
Not Jewish but I adore latkes and making crazy stuff in the waffle iron. I make all our falafel that way now. Thanks for this, I'm gonna do it soon! Adding roasted garlic and serranos, I think...
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 07, 2015 06:59PM
great idea. can't stand the fried oil smell myself. I usually bake 'em, but they ain't as good.
This method and a short trip to the fry pan with oil might be good.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 158
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018