advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Trackpad bad? Cursor/Pointer is moving all over the screen. Even jumping to new windows.
Posted by: Buck
Date: December 07, 2015 11:34PM
It's a little better with a USB mouse. My MBPR is almost unusable. Trip to the Genius Bar I think.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trackpad bad? Cursor/Pointer is moving all over the screen. Even jumping to new windows.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 07, 2015 11:45PM
Does it happen when you're safe-booted?

Re: Trackpad bad? Cursor/Pointer is moving all over the screen. Even jumping to new windows.
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 07, 2015 11:59PM
Have you tried cleaning the trackpad? Any moisture or dirt on it, hand lotion on your hands?

Keep touch surface dry and clean

Moisture collecting on the touch surface can also cause this issue. Wiping off the surface of the trackpad or mouse with a cloth or tissue usually fixes this.

If the issue goes away when you put a piece of paper between your finger and the touch surface, consider purchasing a Teflon applique to fit over the surface to prevent moisture from having direct contact with the touch surface. Before you install the Teflon applique, make sure the touch surface is clean and dry.

Note that oil or lotion can also cause the same issue. You can clean your device's touch surface with a lint-free cloth lightly moistened with water.

[support.apple.com]
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: December 08, 2015 03:54AM
Sounds like you need a replacement. .... I tried all the suggestions online bu eventually a Genius Bar trip (and two-day drop off) did the trick.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 08, 2015 04:40AM
It's a little better with a USB mouse.

Translation: It's still bad with a USB mouse.

Can you set your trackpad prefs to ignore input from the trackpad when the mouse is connected? If so, is it still bad?

You might have more/bigger problems than just the trackpad.

Is it likely the battery could be swelling/swollen and causing a problem?

I had problems with my old MacBook's trackpad and clicker, and it was a swollen battery undermining their functionality. But my battery was removable.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: December 08, 2015 09:00AM
On MacBook Pros, sometimes the battery will swell, creating upward pressure on the trackpad.
Posted by: Buck
Date: December 08, 2015 10:52AM
I gave it a good cleaning (powered down) last night as mentioned above. This morning everything looks normal. But I just know it won't last,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 260
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018