advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need cheap airfare for Friday! Stop laughing
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: December 09, 2015 08:52PM
As if the car issues from yesterday's post weren't damaging enough to the wallet, I'm looking to score a last minute flight from either LAX or Burbank to NYC leaving Friday and coming back either via late return departure Saturday or first flight out of Dodge (or NY) Sunday morn.

I've looked at most of the standard... Expedia, hopper, jet blue, virgin, travelzoo, southwest, etc. Any tricks out there to snag last minute deals on unfilled flights? I'm finding the cheapest currently just a hair under $400 which is pretty amazing this late in the game. I'd jump on that but there's a time crunch on the NYC end to get out of there to get flight back in time. If it was later Saturday night it'd work but it's a bit risky. Had o known for sure and booked last week I think it was as cheap as $242.

Anyway, travel gurus... enlighten me.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need cheap airfare for Friday! Stop laughing
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 09, 2015 09:09PM
I would try calling some airlines directly..
But don't expect to beat that $400-ish deal... Thats pretty good for coast to coast last minute.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: December 09, 2015 09:26PM
Paul F.
I would try calling some airlines directly..
But don't expect to beat that $400-ish deal... Thats pretty good for coast to coast last minute.

I thought that price probably would be tough to beat. Just didn't know if there was a chance an airline would dump the remaining last few seats instead of letting them remain empty. And if they did I didn't know if there was a means to get that deal.

May need to spend the morning calling around.

Thanks.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: December 09, 2015 09:39PM
Don't wait...book that $400 right this moment. It won't get any cheaper.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 10, 2015 09:45AM
that sounds like a great fare, even if the timing is not perfect.

think about it: $400 to travel across the continent is pretty damn good. we underpay for airline travel and have been spoiled by it.
Date: December 10, 2015 12:40PM
Ended up going through ebates->orbitz (so I'll get a few bucks back) and grabbing the flight @ $377 and change. Again had I not waited a week I could have gotten in at under $250. Still there is some satisfaction that I was able to keep it under $400 lol.

Now, figuring out the cheapest, safest, most convenient way to get from LGA to Manhattan (I know, pick one of the three... maybe two?). Do I dare try Lyft or Uber there?
Posted by: Janit
Date: December 10, 2015 01:16PM
(vikm)
Ended up going through ebates->orbitz (so I'll get a few bucks back) and grabbing the flight @ $377 and change. Again had I not waited a week I could have gotten in at under $250. Still there is some satisfaction that I was able to keep it under $400 lol.

Now, figuring out the cheapest, safest, most convenient way to get from LGA to Manhattan (I know, pick one of the three... maybe two?). Do I dare try Lyft or Uber there?

research links:

[www.nycairporter.com]

[web.mta.info]
Date: December 10, 2015 01:54PM
Janit
(vikm)

research links:

[www.nycairporter.com]

[web.mta.info]

Thank you Janit! Will start digging.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018