advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Snooze you lose, Bestbuy no long 999 for that 12" Macbook
Posted by: Microman
Date: December 21, 2015 07:03AM
I had been debating whether to buy, that $300 off Macbook from Bestbuy. Had it in my cart for 999 + Tax for around 1079, Now I look and they are back up to 1299 and so is the one in my cart for a total of 1380....

It wasn't meant to be
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Snooze you lose, Bestbuy no long 999 for that 12" Macbook
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 21, 2015 07:15AM
Don't worry about it.

The rule of thumb is never buy a 1st generation Apple product.

1 port for all of your connections... You'd go nuts.

Posted by: spacescape
Date: December 21, 2015 07:23AM
Screw that 1 port connector!!!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 21, 2015 08:08AM
That laptop isn't for people who need more than one port...and yes, there are plenty of people who never or very rarely plug anything in to their computers.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 21, 2015 08:30AM
I would HATE having only one port. angry villagers smiley

I REGULARLY use the Firewire800 and the ExpressCard34 ports, as well as the DVD SuperDrive my Late 2011, 17" MBP feature. I have eSATA & USB3 ExpressCard34 modules. My MBP is almost 3.5 years old now. I immediately maxed the RAM (16GB) and have also upgraded to a 1TB SSD (and am considering the 2TB SSD). I'll keep it running as long as I can as I would NOT be happy with a smaller screen (hell; I want a BIGGER screen). old fogey smiley

PS: I just ordered a compact, stand alone, Toshiba BluRay player. It has HDMI and ethernet ports. I already have (and use) an HDMI ~ Thunderbolt dongle. boink smiley
Posted by: billb
Date: December 21, 2015 08:47AM
One port really wouldn't work for me either

but the very few times I've flown business class or on a red eye I've been surrounded by passengers for whom one port would be perfect for

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: decay
Date: December 21, 2015 09:47AM
remember the one-button mouse? smiley-laughing001

---
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 21, 2015 10:13AM
I like this one.

[www.apple.com]#

Lots of ports, even has a disc drive and I hear it's upgradeable, RAM and such.

[www.everymac.com]

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2015 10:15AM by Grateful11.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 21, 2015 11:35AM
Sometimes, I just dont understand people.

Lots of peeps only have a motorcycle. Great in city. Easy parking. Great gas mileage. Happy as a clam and could never see how anyone could own a big ass gas guzzling truck = MB

Lots of peeps need to haul equipment, or junk. Or tow a trailer full of horses, or pull a tractor. The could never see how anyone could own just a motorcycle and not be able to get work done = ported up MBP

Choices, duh? RollingEyesSmiley5

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: December 21, 2015 11:39AM
Greatful11
I like this one.

[www.apple.com]#

Lots of ports, even has a disc drive and I hear it's upgradeable, RAM and such.

[www.everymac.com]
I've got this one and so far it has been a workhorse. Now over 3 years old so kind of been looking.
[www.everymac.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 21, 2015 12:06PM
jdc

Lots of peeps only have a motorcycle. Great in city. Easy parking. Great gas mileage. Happy as a clam and could never see how anyone could own a big ass gas guzzling truck = MB

Lots of peeps need to haul equipment, or junk. Or tow a trailer full of horses, or pull a tractor. The could never see how anyone could own just a motorcycle and not be able to get work done = ported up MBP

Exactly!

I honestly think the MacBook was made FOR Apple Execs that fly all of the time. They wanted a machine that was small enough to be below the FAA rules that require larger laptops to be put away during take-off and landing. This is for Tim and Phil - and for the challenge of doing so.

This was EXACTLY the case for the original MBA - it was to be a second computer for those that needed mobility. Apple then iterated and iterated on the hardware to keep adding features so that the MBA became THE iconic Apple laptop.

The MacBook will become more powerful as Intel ups the anti on their super low power chips, or Apple ends up making a MacOSX machine running on ARM.

IF you need more ports, DON'T BUY THIS MACHINE. It's not for you.

(and, in the spirit of Seinfeld, - 'And there's nothing wrong with that!')
Posted by: silvarios
Date: December 21, 2015 04:57PM
jdc

Because the MacBook is basically the same price as a MacBook Pro retina, more expensive than an Air, and slower than either. Imperceptible gain for a lot of tradeoff, that's one heck of a "choice". I've never had someone tell me their Air is too big/heavy. The problem is other manufacturers are selling devices closer to the Air in weight and size and as fast as the Retina Pro in performance. The MacBook is a poor choice because it's pricey and slow and just not enough pro to offset the con. It's objectively a poor value, even if some (many?) people will find it perfectly acceptable as a system. Apple could have added a second USB C port.

When I have an older 3.5" phone with mini HDMI, micro USB, audio jack (with video out), micro SD, a SIM slot, and a second dedicated power port (Nokia N8), seems chintzy for a 12" laptop to have a single port (two if you count the audio jack). Add a second USB C port, get the price down a smidgen and then you have a 12" MacBook ($1100), 13" MBPr $1300), and 15" MBPr ($1500) clean lineup with two or three tiers of customization for each. The iPad line will butt up and overlap the low end, but that's okay.

Choice is great, but as always, these limitations feel purely artificial and owing more to marketing than engineering. If Apple can't add a second USB C port to the MacBook without messing up the design, they need to reconsider touting their engineering/design chops.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 21, 2015 06:45PM
I need that second port to charge my phone while I'm charging my MacBook.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2015 06:45PM by Speedy.
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: December 21, 2015 10:27PM
I agree the compromises are harder to stomach at $1,299 or more.

At $999? I decided to give it a shot ... it'll be secondary computer to my home iMac (vintage 2009) and I realize that these days I don't do a lot of plugging into my older MacBook Air. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 21, 2015 11:55PM
TheToddler
I agree the compromises are harder to stomach at $1,299 or more.

At $999? I decided to give it a shot ... it'll be secondary computer to my home iMac (vintage 2009) and I realize that these days I don't do a lot of plugging into my older MacBook Air. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I bet you'll love it as a second machine.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 22, 2015 06:59AM

Right there with you.

I can understand people critiquing a product.

But the incessant "if I don't like it, it can't be any good for anybody" is really really tedious.

IF you need more ports, DON'T BUY THIS MACHINE. It's not for you.

This is practically sig material.

That being said, I bet v2 does have one more C port, unless Apple remains steadfast. Like the iPad Pro giving a quick charge to the Pencil, it would be nice to give a sip to my 'Phone should the need arise.

One C > USB3 + C could be handy, though.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 22, 2015 08:58AM
Or something even more unexpected could occur, like a Lightning port added. Imagine being able to charge an iPhone or iPad and the cable is finally REVERSABLE. <gasp>

Or what if the iPhone 7 ditched Lightning (psyche!) for USB-C?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 22, 2015 09:00AM
All of this will play out OK in the end, but for right now I feel the loss of MagSafe is unfortunate. I can't count how many times the dog or a kid or my clumsy knee has popped it out.
Date: December 22, 2015 09:49AM
like a Lightning port added. Imagine being able to charge an iPhone or iPad and the cable is finally REVERSABLE.

Hm. I never though of that, but I think if only one port were to be added, a C port would be a whole lot more practical.

Personally, I only use one type of reversible cable (we'er talking end to end, right)- USB 2 Type A, for my portable external HDs, but there's no host to host problem. (Ok, the power supply cable for my 'Book is reversible, so there's that.)

Or what if the iPhone 7 ditched Lightning (psyche!) for USB-C

There might have to be a slight improvement on a 'Phone port compared to a 'Book port, to keep dust out.

One small note, the Lightning cable is much easier and faster to connect (if by only some mS) than a C port. I don't know if the trade off would make me happy.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: December 22, 2015 10:01AM
but for right now I feel the loss of MagSafe is unfortunate. I can't count how many times the dog or a kid or my clumsy knee has popped it out.

I absolutely agree.

I haven't had a misadventure (knock, knock) with my BMB, but I've found the MagSafe connector to be very quick to attach and remove.

The C port, not so much. I've not seen any other example, but Apple's implementation makes attaching it just about annoying as connecting a micro-USB device, but without having to ensure the up/down orientation is correct.

Removing it required the 'Book be held in place while pulling the connector out, but that's mainly because the 'Book (and most 'Books, I'd wager) are so light.

I don't know if the electronics support it, but I'd love a two piece magnetic adapter that would turn the C cable into a MagSafe like device.

Maybe a KickStarter project.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: December 22, 2015 03:12PM
Micro USB is annoying to connect? USB C nearly so? Were the same complaints floating around for 30 pin and Lightning? Both seem analogous to the connections discussed.
Date: December 22, 2015 03:15PM
RAMd®d
like a Lightning port added. Imagine being able to charge an iPhone or iPad and the cable is finally REVERSABLE.

Hm. I never though of that, but I think if only one port were to be added, a C port would be a whole lot more practical.

I agree. Lot of options if you have two USB C ports, especially if you have one on each side, then you could charge from either side of the MacBook.

RAMd®d
[quotePersonally, I only use one type of reversible cable (we'er talking end to end, right)- USB 2 Type A, for my portable external HDs, but there's no host to host problem. (Ok, the power supply cable for my 'Book is reversible, so there's that.)

Full size USB A-A never really caught on, to be fair, the protocol was originally engineered around A and B connections. USB C was the first big change.

RAMd®d
Or what if the iPhone 7 ditched Lightning (psyche!) for USB-C

There might have to be a slight improvement on a 'Phone port compared to a 'Book port, to keep dust out.

One small note, the Lightning cable is much easier and faster to connect (if by only some mS) than a C port. I don't know if the trade off would make me happy.

You'll be happy when you can share cables with any device you buy and the replacement cables are really inexpensive. Drives, computers, tablets, phones, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2015 03:16PM by silvarios.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 219
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018